Passport Transport truck burns with full load.

edinmass

Here is a shot of a Passport truck burning on the side of the road. Not a pretty sight. No details were available as to contents, some appear to have made it out to some extent.

Wow... http://wkrn.com/2016/02/15/trailer-fire-closes-i-65-in-williamson-county/

Hard to tell in picture, but if in fact the trailer tires, I wonder if they had tire pressure monitoring system on the trailer, like http://tsttruck.com/or others?    

More likely the cause was overheated brakes or bearing.

I'm less inclined to believe it's an equipment failure in the truck and more likely to believe that an electrical short or fuel problem in one of the cars is to blame. I keep every car in the shop stored with its battery disconnected for just this reason. You never know what's lurking inside the wires of an old car--usually it's smoke, but sometimes it's fire.

Guest AlCapone

We witnessed a similar incident 5 years ago and it was exactly as suggested above. A short in the electrical system of a car being transported. With a bona fide company like Passport it will be handled very professionally. Wayne Wayne

Any old car can catch fire at any time. That being said it sure looks like a wheel or brake issue from the photo shown. I am sure there there is insurance. Most people would rather have their toy than a check. Accidents do happen, I wonder if they will ever get to the actual cause.

Guest AlCapone

Just wondering what the "Rules of the Road" are in a case like this, unhook the tractor and let the load burn once you know everything is a total  loss? Bob

I would hope they do whatever is safe for the people and make the load a lesser priority. Wayne

I would think it would be a self imposed rule for these antique auto carriers that once a car is loaded, the battery be disconnected for safety. Modern cars have electrical fires all the time.   I agree with Ed though, it looks like the trailer wheels/brakes are engulfed in flames.  

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

I would think it would be a self imposed rule for these antique auto carriers that once a car is loaded, the battery be disconnected for safety. Modern cars have electrical fires all the time.   I agree with Ed though, it looks like the trailer wheels/brakes are engulfed in flames.  

Agree.  Anytime I've had a car transported, battery always disconnected.  Good point above on bearing/brake possibility too based on location. 

I have to wonder why the side door on the trailer is open.  I was taught in fire fighting school that if were called to the scene of a burning automobile and the hood, doors, or trunk lid was open, it was probably arson and the doors, etc. were open to let more oxygen in so the entire vehicle would burn. 

I agree on either brakes/ tire or bearings.  with this being on the drivers side I would call into question the drivers attentiveness.

If it was brakes he should have felt the drag, if it was the tire he should have seen it smoking before it caught.  if it was wheel bearings who is not maintaining the equipment?

Guest AlCapone

I have to wonder why the side door on the trailer is open. I was taught in fire fighting school that if were called to the scene of a burning automobile and the hood, doors, or trunk lid was open, it was probably arson and the doors, etc. were open to let more oxygen in so the entire vehicle would burn.

What a totally outlandish and defamatory statement! Do you suppose the driver went for a fire extinguisher and that is why the door was open ? Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

I agree on either brakes/ tire or bearings.  with this being on the drivers side I would call into question the drivers attentiveness.

If it was brakes he should have felt the drag, if it was the tire he should have seen it smoking before it caught.  if it was wheel bearings who is not maintaining the equipment?

The problem with this line of thinking is like in the case of my Vette.  Underhood engine fire.  Hard to put out if you don't get the hood up atleast enough to access it.  Mine was an electrical fire so yes the doors were open to to access where it was burning through the firewall.   I would be more suspicious if nothing was done as anyone who wants the thing destroyed walks away from it,  not tries to put it out.  I won't tell you how much black smoke I inhaled from the burning fibre glass wiring paint and  rubber putting everything I could find including the neighbors garden hose on it.  (until the Fire Department about 1 mile away showed up) Not knowing exactly what was burning at that point. I  didn't figure out what happened until after it was put out. I originally thought must be a fuel fire or something as Fuelies are notorious for that and ethanol fuel (do I need to say more) 

Also if you were going to burn something I don't think you would pick the edge of a 4 lane highway where it would be spotted instantly. 

Used an insured company eight years ago for hauling a 1937 Buick from Cali to NJ

recd a call 3 days in- was told my car burned up- thought it was a joke.................. it wasnt. Was told the transport co was insured for 300k and i would be fine. Owner refused to pay.

Driver told me that he didnt disconnect the battery. He drove my car off, to get another car dropped. When he put my car back on, he believed the seat spring crossed the battery under the seat.

The tow company demanded their tow payment and i told them I didnt want the burned out hull in my driveway.

Long story short, it wasnt worth flying to FL to sue the haul company and the broker refused liability as well.

the lesson in all of this-ALWAYS PUT INSURANCE ON YOUR VEHICLE BEFORE IT IS HAULED-you never know what might happen.

Yes, I was screwed and an expensive lesson at that!

Guest AlCapone

Used an insured company eight years ago for hauling a 1937 Buick from Cali to NJ

recd a call 3 days in- was told my car burned up- thought it was a joke.................. it wasnt. Was told the transport co was insured for 300k and i would be fine. Owner refused to pay.

Driver told me that he didnt disconnect the battery. He drove my car off, to get another car dropped. When he put my car back on, he believed the seat spring crossed the battery under the seat.

The tow company demanded their tow payment and i told them I didnt want the burned out hull in my driveway.

Long story short, it wasnt worth flying to FL to sue the haul company and the broker refused liability as well.

the lesson in all of this-ALWAYS PUT INSURANCE ON YOUR VEHICLE BEFORE IT IS HAULED-you never know what might happen.

Yes, I was screwed and an expensive lesson at that!

Had you engaged in civil litigation it is very likely that you would have been successful.

Wayne

Guest ShiftCraft

Hi AACA folks, I am sad to report that one of my vehicles was on this transporter. It was a '65 Chevy C10, full rotisserie restoration on its way from North Carolina to my home in Reno. To say that I am sick over this would be a gross understatement. Here is a photo of the truck loading onto the transporter a little over a week ago. Awaiting news from Passport Transportation on the extent of the damage or if it's a total loss. Presently accepting all love and sympathy from any car lovers, also trying to find a silver lining in any of this.

post-156236-0-45836700-1455917007_thumb.

Hope they do right by you.  I had a 66 Big back window short bed with a 454.(  not perfect but very nice,)  One of my favorite old vehicles to tool around in.  I drove it everywhere on nice days. Lets hope the damage was limited and can be repaired.

Good luck and please let us know how they handle it.  I've used passport before coast to coast with very good results.  

There is nothing to be gained by leaving the tractor attached whether the contents can be saved or not..

Likely , the driver had already expended his fire extinguisher, before he pulled the tractor away. 

If the fire started inside the trailer and burned through to the outside, a handheld fire extinguisher would be useless.

It's impossible to properly fix a burn vehicle, in my humble opinion. While not a total melt down, it would probably be best to take the payoff, as there should be no issue making you whole. Sad to see a nice truck go that way, but often time it's best to use your head in making a decision not ones heart to sort out a problem such as this. Good luck either way you go, Ed.

PS. Sure looks like from both photos posted, it was a trailer issue that caused the fire. I am not familiar with heavy trailer service, but something either failed or was neglected. Most importantly, no one was injured.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Our son in law is a professionnal fireman in Franklin, TN.  I sent this to him and asked if he was on this job and how far from their house it was (they live just off of I-65).  He said it was a couple of miles south of town and was handled by VFD.  Said Interstate was closed in both directions for about eight hours

It does look quite as bad as I was expecting  (taking things into consideration) but I would definitely want a chance of buying it back if I were you  if it is a total loss or they give you enough that it makes it a no brainer to buy it.   Looks like the worst of the destorting damage is to the door.  That's alot easier to replace than the cab.  Since it was an exterior fire you don't have the issues of a ton of hidden problems like with an electrical fire that gutted the inside of a vehicle. or under the hood.  Ironically it looks like it didn't get to the fuel tank right behind the seat which I think has the fill on that side if I remember correctly.  That is almost amazing as it's a vented cap. 

Good luck, sorry for the loss.  You would be surprised what cleans up though (The pictures of my 60 Fuelie vette are on here somewhere)  and may not need to be replaced especially if you had alot into the mechanical restoration which wouldn't be affected by the fire.  

Let us know how they treat you.

What a totally outlandish and defamatory statement! Do you suppose the driver went for a fire extinguisher and that is why the door was open ? Wayne

I could say the same thing about your first sentence.  I think if you check you will find that truck drivers carry their extinguisher in the tractor cab instead of in the trailer.  When you pass one on the interstate see if it does not carry the words on a small door, "fire extinguisher in here." 

Guest AlCapone

I could say the same thing about your first sentence.  I think if you check you will find that truck drivers carry their extinguisher in the tractor cab instead of in the trailer.  When you pass one on the interstate see if it does not carry the words on a small door, "fire extinguisher in here."

Some do, all do not ! Wayne

Guest AlCapone

Pp

I would think they may have went for a second extinguisher in the trailer as well.  I put a small a medium and a fairly large on my vette and the fire Department used a bunch more.  You do what you can and it all happens real fast.

Obviously you are letting common sense prevail and are not being cynical. Wayne