Opinions please. 1956 buick special 4dr

Guest zoomzoom89

Guest zoomzoom89

Hello I am new to aaca and am glad to be part of the community. I have a question I ran across a barn find and I wanted to see your guys thoughts. A guy is selling a 1956 buick special 4 dr hardtop that is rust free and complete. Car does not run and has been sitting for 24 years in the garage. From what I understand the seats and carpet needs to be redone due to mice. Car looks great and the guy says it should be easy getting it running again. He is selling for $2500. I was wondering if it is worth buying. Thanks

post-155264-0-37761200-1446654828_thumb.

post-155264-0-83018600-1446654865_thumb.

post-155264-0-99932000-1446654875_thumb.

post-155264-0-82848900-1446654885_thumb.

post-155264-0-98966300-1446654894_thumb.

Guest zoomzoom89

No it doesnt. Would this be a good investment? I'm not too familiar with these cars and trying to figure out if I should get it or not. Thanks

What I was asking, does the engine turn by hand?  Not seized or locked up?   Engine rebuilds can be costly.  Then there is the risk that the engine runs but needs internal work anyway.  As far as an investment, I do not see it as one really.   You will probably put more $$ into it than get in return IMO.     What you would be investing in is hobby that has returns of satisfaction, enjoyment and sharing with others.  For me, that is a great investment.       

There is a lot of parts support for these cars.  That is always helpful in making a decision. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

Guest zoomzoom89

Thanks for the response. I am looking for a project car to work on over the winter that I would be proud of and would be a good investment for when i decide to get rid of it and start on a new project. I like the car but not sure if it was worth rebuilding it or not. Plus I don't know to much about buick classics. A classic chevy is ideal but thought about changing it up a bit. But thanks for the response.

Thanks for the response. I am looking for a project car to work on over the winter that I would be proud of and would be a good investment for when i decide to get rid of it and start on a new project. I like the car but not sure if it was worth rebuilding it or not. Plus I don't know to much about buick classics. A classic chevy is ideal but thought about changing it up a bit. But thanks for the response.

For a project car it is great.  Again, a lot of parts support as well as forum support here.  Things are only worth fixing, repairing or rebuilding if one desires to do so.   What is to know about classic Buicks?  They are like other cars of the era but it is not a Chevy.  One of the reason I selected to purchase a 54 Buick.  I live in the metropolitain area of Baltimore and Washington DC.  I know of two other 54's in my area.  That makes them a rare find when attending car shows.    That make a Buick ideal for me.  Buicks tend to not get lost in the crowd if you know what I mean.   

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

Guest zoomzoom89

Thanks. I have decided I am still going to buy the car and restore it. The car is beautiful and I think it would be a fun project for the winter. Thanks for all your response.

Thanks. I have decided I am still going to buy the car and restore it. The car is beautiful and I think it would be a fun project for the winter. Thanks for all your response.

It is a Buick...a Beautiful buy!  Good deal.    Please post your progress on this Buick.   We are interested in seeing this gem come back to life....

After 24 years of sitting, the engine is most likely stuck. You can sometimes get them unstuck by pouring a mixture of acetone and transmission fluid into the spark plug holes and letting it soak for a few days. Also, try removing the rocker arm assemblies. At worst, you may have to remove the cylinder heads. The body on this car looks to be very good, as does the glass and chrome trim. I think it is worth $2500 and if you spend another $2500 on it to get it running and the front seat reupholstered, I think you could sell it and get all of your money back, and possibly a little more.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

• Like 1

Guest zoomzoom89

Thanks I will post pics of work done to car. And give progress updates.

Thanks Pete for the tips I will definitely have to try them. I also think the car is worth it. The body alone is in great shape which makes me really want it. Thanks

24 years would make it about 1991 since parked.  It has wide white walls; those tires were specialty tires in 1991 like now.  Someone liked the car and hopefully it was prepared for storage.  But also remember there is always a reason it was taken out of service:  a broken major component like engine, transmission...

When you get it home wash and clean real well.  That will give you more inspiration to move on.

Willie

The 56 is a great car. Be sure to do your homework before taking anything apart.  56's look a lot like 54's and 55's but there are many differences such that not much is interchangeable.  That plus the Buick engineering is substantially different than the other GM's of the era so while a lot may look interchangeable, it often is not. Even amongst the 56 Buicks there are two different bodies, and again, not much interchanges.

But don't let this deter you. That car looks very nice under that dust. And the best part is all the 56 models have the 322 Cu In engine. When this is running right I think you'll be surprised at how nice that can be. 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Investment?

You might sink $30,000 dollars into that car and it would be worth $19,000

I encourage you to buy it and restore it for the fun of it.

Buy gold for an investment

Kiljoy!!!      But you are right.      Just clean up, make stopable, drive able , enjoyable.

Ben

• Like 1

To have a driver you will probably spend another $3,000 to $5,000 and have a Not For Show car with 6 to 8 thousand tied up in it. That's with Indian blankets on the seats. A new interior will double the outlay.

My wife is a librarian and I always catch hell for reading technical books instead of novels. Sometimes as I read I have the conscious thought that I want to read this book again, after I have learned more about the topic. If you understand and relate you are ready.

If you are contemplating the restoration of the car with an imaginary friend you call "My Mechanic" you are in trouble. He is alive and has shown up in discussions on the forum. I think his name is Freddy, but he changes it during the day.

Bernie

• Like 1

It looks like a great place to start.   We have seen many people start with vehicles that look much worse.

Clean it up, get it running (if possible) at the same time make a list of what it needs and put a price on each item/project. 

Work on each project as you  have time an money.

Hemmings and the Buick club will both be good sources for parts and advise.

Keep us up to date on the progress and there is a lot of talent here to help you get thru each project.

The other thing to note is that seasoned posters are not using the word "restoration" either.   I see a lot of advice to "clean it up, getting running and have fun".  This is not a restoration.  The second you start a full restoration on this car you will never see any of the money you put in to it.   The reason I say NO money is because it will never be finished as at some point you will realize you have 25k into a 10k car.

• Like 1

The other thing to note is that seasoned posters are not using the word "restoration" either.   I see a lot of advice to "clean it up, getting running and have fun".  This is not a restoration.  The second you start a full restoration on this car you will never see any of the money you put in to it.   The reason I say NO money is because it will never be finished as at some point you will realize you have 25k into a 10k car.

that's right

• 1 month later...