Car Value: 1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe

Guest bbrando021

Guest bbrando021

Hello all! I am very new to anything related to the classic car world. So I am wondering if you guys can tell me what this car is worth. I have seen similarly done cars up for sale for high 40's. I have also seen them for sale even higher and lower than that. I will do my best to describe this car to you guys! If you need anymore information just ask me! I am also going to look at it tomorrow. So is there anything that I absolutely need to check for when looking at it?

The owner says the car was his grandfathers and has been in the family since new. Original steel body with 55k original miles. He says best of "everything" and all upgraded, alll within the last 5 years. Drives it long distances with no issues. Has a long parts list he says. This is the basics of what I know about it now, it has a 355 motor, 4 speed built trans, coilovers, power steering, power brakes, heat, new tires, brakes, new PA inspection, everything works as it should. interior looks a little outdated, or maybe bland. 

Again if you guys need more information to get an accurate value, let me know. 

post-154367-0-37830300-1439304688_thumb.

post-154367-0-91696900-1439304701_thumb.

post-154367-0-37794500-1439304716_thumb.

post-154367-0-64536500-1439304731_thumb.

post-154367-0-21224900-1439304741_thumb.

post-154367-0-67686300-1439304759_thumb.

Guest bbrando021

Instead of a 36 Ford they are selling a hot rod which in my opinion diminishes the value considerably. Wayne

What would you value it at?

Newbie;

I think this may be the wrong forum to be asking about the value of a hot rod. We in the AACA value original cars far above anything that has been modified. I make no judgements here, just stating facts. We have many members here that also have modified cars but our preferences here are preserving and restoring originality. We may all have our opinions on value of a modified car, and some of them are very good, however, I would suggest that you refer to one of the hot rod websites to get the best estimate of value for this vehicle. I am not trying to be elitist in any way. Even within my particular specialty (Crosleys as is obvious), I think I would be hard pressed to put a realistic market value on one of the many Crosleys that have been rodded in one form or another. If I did, I am sure it would be far below what the street rod market might pay!! Best of luck!!!

Dave

Go to any local car show and you'll see five or six cars just like this. In their quest to be "unique," everyone builds the same rod, over and over. They're almost always worth less than the cost to build and even if there are some very high-quality parts in there, there's a hard ceiling on home-built hot rods. I think you should be able to buy that car for somewhere in the mid-$20s. I don't see anything particularly interesting or remarkable about the car and it lacks a lot of value-add features like an overdrive and A/C. And while I think the '36 Ford is one of the prettiest cars made, those headlights and that chopped top just make it look odd. That's not a plus in my book, but then again taste is subjective and if you like it and feel that the price is something you're willing to pay, then I'd say that's the right price.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

First thing I'd want to do is see if the stock '36 Ford hood still fits the car. I'm odd that way, I like cars with hoods. Next is the chop, I'd never buy a chopped car without a ton of photos of how it was done and welded. If it was a MIG & mud job I'd look for a better car. Bob 

I won't put a value on it, but just remember you are not buying a memorial to his grandpa.  Most street rods are built for a very personal taste, which in many cases may limit the marketability of the car until you find someone with the same taste.  Watching Craigslist over the years, I've seen several cars as nice as this one on the market in the mid 20's for several years with no sale.  Since these cars are so much about personal taste and you don't like the interior, you may start at the asking price minus what it will cost to make it into what you want.

Is the body steel or fibreglass?   That will make a difference to the price.  

You would also want to get someone who knows what they are looking at to check the engineering on the engine/ frame/ front & rear axle installation to make sure they have been done correctly.   There are some real shockers out there.

Go to any local car show and you'll see five or six cars just like this. In their quest to be "unique," everyone builds the same rod, over and over.

All the creativity of 1950's country music there. Seems like I just never fit in with the individualists. I can't get in step.

The change between the seats reminds me that I have been driving my convertible around all summer with the top down and a handful of change on the hump. I wonder if they lock the Ford.

Bernie

As has been mentioned previously, that car is NO '36 Ford.  It's been heavily modified and, to me, it's worthless.  I think that this is the wrong place to discuss a hot rod on an AACA forum.   I'm sure that if you go on to a modified car website, you will get a more reliable value for what it is.

Sorry I couldn't be more positive.

Rog

I am with you Jack.  I built a street rod once but it just wasn't me. I sold it and bought my first Auburn and never looked back.  I can appreciate any car that is well done, but have yet to see a rat rod that is well done.

No deliberate offence intended here to any Ford guys who may be reading this, but, at least it's only a Ford. There are still plenty of Fords around. What breaks my heart is seeing this kind of irreversible (damage?) (work?) done to a rarer coupe. I've come across (as I'm sure you have) Packard coupes, Buick coupes, Studebaker coupes, etc. chopped like this and then forgotten.

In fact I was lucky enough to save my current car from exactly this fate.

I was on the narrow and solid search for a nice '38 Buick (sedan or coupe) and stumbled across this very complete, original and solid '38 Plymouth coupe that was being prepped for a chop and a small block.

Heaven's to Murgatroyd!!!! What were they thinking? Couldn't they find another Ford to butcher? Anyway, I snatched it from the jaws of death and now it's safe in my garage undergoing a well deserved frame off resto.

I am with you Jack.  I built a street rod once but it just wasn't me. I sold it and bought my first Auburn and never looked back.  I can appreciate any car that is well done, but have yet to see a rat rod that is well done.

Well then, you must not have seen mine. LOL

jack,

I enjoy discussing all cars as well.  I have a couple of street rods, an unrestored 1938 Chev "survivor" and a restored 1947 Chev 2 door sedan (not to mention my two lightly restored, but totally stock Crosleys).  One of the first rat rods I ever saw, was at the Daytona Beach Turkey Rod Run.  This rat rod, true to the rat rod concept, looked like a real wreck from a distance of 20+ feet, but up close (less than 5 ft.) it was more apparent that this car was a quality build.  The welds were without fault, the hardware was appropriate to its use (steering, brakes etc,) and everything fit together in a strangely (after all it was a rat rod) harmonious manner.  I like the creativity often found in rat rods, and I think many of them look pretty cool.

Just my opinion,

Grog

Guest AlCapone

Oh, Someone once said, "CAN'T WE ALL GET ALONG", I can tell it wasn't all of you. 

He asked WHAT IS IT WORTH, not for your negative opinions.

I have seen many many street rods bring tons more than originals, get you heads out of the sand.

Dale in Indy

On a hot rod, street rod or rat rod site you might get support for your opinion but not on a site devoted to the preservation rather than the destruction of history. Wayne

I still have a huge grin about the guy with the Plymouth writing "No deliberate offence intended here to any Ford guys who may be reading this, but, at least it's only a Ford."

Who would mediate that; Dr. Sues, Mr Rogers, or Jim Henson?

The value depends on how much the Grandfather wrote them out of the will for. Car $25,000- 30,000; inheritance $150,000.

Bernie

Guest AlCapone

Might I remind YOU experts, he asked for pricing help, and YOU chose to pick on him.

I'm sure you are proud of your negative attitude.

I rest my case,

Dale in Indy

And just what price did you give ? We rest our case! Wayne

Not nearly enough pics or info to give a good estimate of worth. From the pics you do have I noticed some pretty poor workmanship. You said all steel body which would make a difference.  That car could be bought for $20,000 easy in my area of the country from what I can see of it and that is being kind. Just my opinion.

I will not comment on whether the car should have been rodded or not. It was and not much can be done about it. I will, also, not try to value it, though it is worth much, much less than the owner believes it to be. In looking at the car, I see nothing that is the best. Cheap, dated interior, mismatched gauges in a clumsy looking panel. Cheezy console made in high school metal shop, Five and Dime steering wheel, sucky headlights, ordinary crate 350 Chevy. I can only imagine the rest of the car is just as mediocre. It's probably a good running, good driving car, but it is nothing special. The top chop is horrible. Whoever did it may have done a good job, structurally, but he didn't have an eye for proportions or flow. It looks like someone sat on it.

I don't think everyone here shares the OP's enthusiasm for this particular car. No big deal. On another board they may rave about this Ford. If you ask for opinions, that's what you'll get......opinions. I wouldn't feel too hurt about it. It's just another automotive forum. I belong to at least a dozen and if I felt bad every time someone disagreed with my opinion, I'd be suicidal by now. When I post a topic, I simply read through all the posts generated until I find the ones that are enlightening for me. The rest? I don't sweat it. C'mon dude, these are car guys, they'll never all agree on anything.

Guest AlCapone

I don't think everyone here shares the OP's enthusiasm for this particular car. No big deal. On another board they may rave about this Ford. If you ask for opinions, that's what you'll get......opinions. I wouldn't feel too hurt about it. It's just another automotive forum. I belong to at least a dozen and if I felt bad every time someone disagreed with my opinion, I'd be suicidal by now. When I post a topic, I simply read through all the posts generated until I find the ones that are enlightening for me. The rest? I don't sweat it. C'mon dude, these are car guys, they'll never all agree on anything.

Smart man that GregLaR! Wayne