Buicks in Springtime

dmfconsult

On 1/8/2021 at 6:01 AM, Paul White said:

Spring country trip in South Australia

B-70865-8.jpeg

Great photo of a Buick six (1918-1920?) with the Australian Deluxe Holden body. The two square rear windows indicate 1918-19 but I am not certain if this style was also used on 1920 Holden bodies. Nickel plated radiator surround and windshield posts were not seen in North America until the Deluxe models in 1923. Also interesting that the entire car is painted a lighter colour with the mudguards and valence panels not in black as was normal practice. This may have been part of the Deluxe package as factory photos of 1923 Holden Deluxe Buick models are also painted in the same fashion. This car has a quite bulky looking aftermarket radiator cap and spotlight. The "leading zero" number plates were introduced in January 1918 starting with 01 and ran until May 1921 with 09999 which would probably identify this car as mid/late 1919 which would match the Spring timing as Spring is later in the year in this part of the world. There is a silhouette above the number plate of another one "4807" with some sort of shield or crest showing in the radiator core (using zoom). 4807 was issued prior to 1914 so this had previously been issued to a different car.

I use the words colour, mudguard & valence as this is an Australian photo. Apologies to those who prefer it otherwise...  :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BRB62 said:

Great photo of a Buick six (1918-1920?) with the Australian Deluxe Holden body. The two square rear windows indicate 1918-19 but I am not certain if this style was also used on 1920 Holden bodies. Nickel plated radiator surround and windshield posts were not seen in North America until the Deluxe models in 1923. Also interesting that the entire car is painted a lighter colour with the mudguards and valence panels not in black as was normal practice. This may have been part of the Deluxe package as factory photos of 1923 Holden Deluxe Buick models are also painted in the same fashion. This car has a quite bulky looking aftermarket radiator cap and spotlight. The "leading zero" number plates were introduced in January 1918 starting with 01 and ran until May 1921 with 09999 which would probably identify this car as mid/late 1919 which would match the Spring timing as Spring is later in the year in this part of the world. There is a silhouette above the number plate of another one "4807" with some sort of shield or crest showing in the radiator core (using zoom). 4807 was issued prior to 1914 so this had previously been issued to a different car.

I use the words colour, mudguard & valence as this is an Australian photo. Apologies to those who prefer it otherwise...  :)

This photo so good that it must have been taken on glass photo plates.  My grandfather was an early photographer as a hobby.  some of his photos were as crisp. I still have some of his photo glass plates.  I have had some reproduced on film.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

MR Earl, you, sir, are a SHOWOFF!   Keep up the good work.

Ben

... and well-deserved !

I've seen Mr. Earl's handiwork and remain impressed. 

Our gentleman has a fantastic location with amazing upgrades, really nice cars, a sweet and delightful bride, an amazing dog, and even a really nice fishpond.

Keep up the good work? Indeed !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

... and well-deserved !

I've seen Mr. Earl's handiwork and remain impressed. 

Our gentleman has a fantastic location with amazing upgrades, really nice cars, a sweet and delightful bride, an amazing dog, and even a really nice fishpond.

Keep up the good work? Indeed !

you have a way with adjectives sir, thank you.  I’ll be sure to pass on the compliments to the bride and dog 😄

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MrEarl said:

you have a way with adjectives sir, thank you.  I’ll be sure to pass on the compliments to the bride and dog 😄

That’s them! The Bride (We) Elvis and his master and the lady on the left is a Cuban refugee 

E38B5E64-17B2-47F8-B7D1-0D520D2F0352.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a day off so got the Electra up and running and cleaned off. Didn’t get a lot of time to drive but went for a 10-mile drive to blow the cobwebs out. The Electra is running extremely well after the the supplemental fuel pump was installed and the air leak in the carb sorted. Got a nice pic under this blooming magnolia tree. 

3A9E5452-32B6-4D58-9E1B-161E175BB53D.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Had the Estate Wagon out this Easter weekend to continue to

move some “clutter” from

my father in laws house. We enlisted the help of my nephew and his truck as well.... as you can see it takes a lot of truck to dwarf an Estate Wagon!  

Put about 120 miles on her and was able to do a bit of maintenance as well. It’s so nice to have a working vacuum advance again!  I replaced what appeared to be the original distributor, vacuum advance and rotor a few weeks ago but not the vacuum line, and the vacuum hoses all appear to be originals, so finally got to that today. There will be no shortage of vacuum hose to replace!  

3FC34509-5FC7-4209-ADD8-B868EBBEA25D.jpeg

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Elpad said:

7BEB9F77-96F9-4B49-AF95-1E09F65960D4.jpeg

9B176DC4-7B69-4E58-B819-AB6D8D2193E4.jpeg

Such a beautiful car. It brings back memories of the second old car I ever bought, a black 1950 Special that I bought at age 18 for $85. I drove it for a year and didn't have to do anything to it except replace the battery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2021 at 7:11 AM, Machine Gun said:

Such a beautiful car. It brings back memories of the second old car I ever bought, a black 1950 Special that I bought at age 18 for $85. I drove it for a year and didn't have to do anything to it except replace the battery.

Funny, I bought a couple of hub caps for the 50 for $85 at age 67

• Haha 2

Warmer than seasonal around here so perfect excuse to get the Electra out (after all the chores were done of course 😇). I’m about a week late for the premium cherry blossom time in the neighborhood but found these trees with blossoms hanging in there. 

I’ll be going for some sunset beachside cruises before this warmer weather leaves us. 

A874C984-D2B3-4873-A9B3-EE008AEF93E6.jpeg

• Like 9

• 11 months later...

Haven’t posted here in awhile and almost missed all the spring blooms as I’ve been busy. Finally found some time this Easter weekend to lay hands on the cars and I took the Wagon out for a spin. I have an appointment to get new tires next weekend (sorry JD, whitewalls have been purchased!) so wanted to make sure there were no issues coming out of winter storage.  Of course there wasn’t and the car ran like it had been driven yesterday. I love this wagon!

60A9FD6B-244E-4BC5-A9A5-2493DC176AC7.jpeg.fcead01288da30f73968608cd01dca60.jpegD7988FBA-CDF0-4B24-8071-ABE03CEA5C66.jpeg.1718d033bf7f20493d72b983ed37db6a.jpegThanks 

• Like 4

For some reason this photo was not displaying quite properly. The forum software was cutting off part of the image. Later it appears to not be displaying at all. I am changing to a cropped version of the original image to hopefully solve those problems.  

DSC_0490 cropped.jpg

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...