Vintage 1954 Woodill Wildfire "stolen" at Barrett-Jackson???????

greenie

If you watch auctions closely you see some crazy stuff. It doesn't matter if it's EPay or BJ- things happen and you have to wonder. Last night on the BJ travelling circus, a 1954 Woodill Wildfire, apparently used in 3 motion pictures, appeared on the block. Now this is not your usual BJ fare, so the bidding started slow- real slow. Suddenly the TV cameras showed the high bidder at 14K, none other than Mark Hyman. Great, I thought- the car might show up at Hershey '15. Mark smiled as the auctioneer cried "SOLD"......but wait......suddenly there was a "new" bid of 16k, and you could see Mark's lips say to the ring-man: "He said sold!?!". In seconds it was sold, and not to Mark. Who bought it? It's anybody's guess- or maybe it wasn't sold at all.

post-31547-143142937677_thumb.jpg

I suppose if a ring man took a bid just before the gavel struck it would have to go to that bidder, just bad timing for Mark.

With the car being that rare it is hard to believe it didn't have a reserve .

Edited by Rp1967 (see edit history)

I saw that happen too, and I'm guessing that there was another last-minute bid. That seems to be a theme at this year's auction: bidders waiting until the last possible second to bid. Did they all read a strategy book or something? Alternatively, I've also seen more than one car sell just as the guy was trying to stall until the last possible moment and about to bid, then he gets all pissy at the auctioneer for hammering it before he could do it. Either way, if you snooze, you lose. Bid to win, stop bidding when you can't afford it anymore. Everything else is just playing games.

There was no reserve on this particular car because B-J still puts most cars through without reserves. You can "buy" a reserve on your car, but those slots are finite and are usually limited to prices above six figures. I think only Saturday night's cars have reserves. Otherwise, if you want your car at B-J, it goes naked.

We might very well have seen the Wildfire at next year's Hershey, most likely with a price tag several orders of magnitude above what it sold for at the auction. In case you haven't noticed, that's Hyman's typical M.O: Buy an unusual car for which there are no comps or other sales, no track record of values, jack up the price 600-800%, and when it sells for a 50% discount, the buyer thinks he got a screaming bargain and Hyman still doubled or tripled his money. Pretty clever, actually, and it explains why there are so many oddball cars in the Hyman inventory. I was also pleased that he walked away, disgusted with the auctioneer and bidder's assistant, because he really did get the shaft on that one. Not cool, Barrett-Jackson. Not cool at all.

And hey, did you see that gorgeous mid-year Corvette? The red roadster with the small block? No, not that one, the other one. No, the other one. No, that other, other one. No, the other, other, other one. Maybe it was that other one? Or that one? I don't remember, there have been at least a dozen of them so far. Sheesh...

I've said this before, but it's so true watching B-J...

The announcers have intimate knowledge of muscle cars, and just about zero knowledge of Classic and older cars....

A '69 Camaro will go through and they'll spend minutes talking about how on odd numbered days of even numbered weeks From February 1st 1969 to March 15th 1969 a guy named Joe on the assembly line would put on a right hand slip slotted slit fitting instead of the correct left hand slip slotted slit fitting, and how this car was one of the only 38 cars that got this fitting, and how that means the car is well worth paying four times what it's really worth.....

Then, a beautiful 1930's Cadillac roadster will go through, and the extent of the comment is "gee, Cadillac made pretty good cars, I think".......

Hard to imagine they'd shaft Hyman, but one never knows about the relationships between bidders and the auction company...

Greenie,

I've never heard of that before at an auction. At our local horse and mule sale, I'm pretty sure the auctioneer would put the lot back in play if that happened. Bidding interest wasn't over, and bidder A wasn't able to answer bidder B's raise.

Matt,

Sorry I missed that Corvette with the V-8 last night. Didn't know the auction was going on.

.........Jeff

Yes, Matt, I'm sorry I missed that Corvette too, but really sorry I missed that other one, and just torn up about missing the other one, and can't believe the condition of the other one, nor the wheels on the other one, nor the bid on the other one......well done....

( putting an item back into play) by an auctioneer after he has said sold is illegal in most states.

I know it is in Indiana where my best friend is a full time auctioneer.

Guest AlCapone

I have attended and bought several cars at BJ and I have never witnessed this. You can send an email and they will quite often answer during the show. Did Mark have another chance to bid ? Wayne

I didn't see it but maybe, although they advertised that it didn't have a reserve on it they may have had an agreement with the seller not to sell below a certain figure and when it didn't reach that figure they knocked it down to one of their "friends" to stop it going too cheap.

Hi Gang...

We haven't heard from the new owner yet at Forgotten Fiberglass. According to friends who talked to the owner selling the car at the auction, he said it was "sold" and returned to his home in Las Vegas.

One thing that may have kept the price down was the legitimacy of the car. We have access to the serial number records from Wildfire in our group. The serial number indicated it was a car (kit) built and sold on April 15th, 1955 to Mr. F. Wagner (9961). The movie was filmed in late '53 and early '54 so it was easily "not" the movie car. We shared this with folks who called us and sent it out via our website Forgotten Fiberglass too.

We also posted stories on the real heritage of the Wildfire movie cars you can read here:

Johnny Dark Movie Car #1:

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/fiberglass-car-marques/woodill-wildfire/in-search-of-the-johnny-dark-wildfire/

Johnny Dark Movie Car #2 and #3:

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/fiberglass-car-marques/woodill-wildfire/search-johnny-dark-woodill-wildfire-2-3/

That speaks to the background of the cars - as for the auction activity...I leave that to the folks more knowledgeable then I :-)

If any of you are interested in learning more about the hand-built cars of the 40s and 50s that we cover on our websites (Forgotten Fiberglass, Sport Custom, and Belly Tanks and Streamliners) you can sign up on the following link:

http://forgottenfiberglass.us6.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=55b1654c6f7e3de70d02c0bda&id=ad9445a3fb

Hope this helps gang.....

Geoff Hacker

Forgotten Fiberglass

I saw that happen too, and I'm guessing that there was another last-minute bid. That seems to be a theme at this year's auction: bidders waiting until the last possible second to bid. Did they all read a strategy book or something? Alternatively, I've also seen more than one car sell just as the guy was trying to stall until the last possible moment and about to bid, then he gets all pissy at the auctioneer for hammering it before he could do it. Either way, if you snooze, you lose. Bid to win, stop bidding when you can't afford it anymore. Everything else is just playing games.

Live version of 'snipe bids' on Ebay???

I wonder if an auction such as this will be like baseball...having to film it and replay over and over the auctioneer's gavel and the bidder at the split second before it comes down to see who was first.

Craig