YOM license plate legality

Barry Wolk

In 1942 Michigan had license plates that started with two letters followed by two sets of numbers. I'd love to have LZ-19-42 for the Lincoln Zephyr, but that search has come up empty.

Since old YOM plates are no longer in Michigan's SOS database, what would stop me from making replica plates? The state only requires that you photocopy the plate and send that in with the paperwork. I don't see where it says the plate can't be a replica.

My attorney friend, who just happens to have a huge license plate collection, has altered plates to fit his needs and thinks replica plates would be perfectly acceptable as there's no underlying reason to not use them as they simply are a means of identifying the car.

Any recommendations as to who could make me a pair of plates in LV-19-42?

post-31946-143142933921_thumb.jpg

I've seen it done (and possibly, I think, by a law enforcement person, on his personal vintage hot rod, in my area). I am not sure that it's 100% legal, but you'd probably get away with it 99.9% of the time, especially if all the paperwork matches up properly. I don't think law enforcement wants to hassle old car drivers in general anyway.

Any good sign painter could fix you up, all you need is a blank plate you can buy them or any fabrication shop could make you one. Legal is another issue, I have friends in MN that have done the same thing. I am going with stock_steve, you will be hard pressed to find a police officer who will care, don't think I would mention your plan to the licensing people. My problem is I don't like vanity plates, my guess is they were not used in 1942? Looks like they became legal in the US around 1975. (Quick search)

Guest bkazmer

If 42 is the same as 41 , MI had front and rear plates, but as you know only requires a rear plate now. DMV will check that someone else doesn't already use the original or the second plate.

I would put a plate of some kind on the front, likely a duplicate of the rear. I have two different plates on my Mark II. I have a YOU manufacturer's plate on the front and a Michigan Historical plate on the back. No one's ever said a word.

I've always run a YOM plate on the front of my vintage cars and a legal plate on the rear, never a problem. Cops have bigger stuff to worry about. I headr talk about Michigan becoming a two plate state, I hope not as I like a YOM plate on the front.

As long as your intended plate numbers/letters aren't already taken it shouldn't be a problem. Thats why I always buy a set of YOM plates so I know nobody else is using the ID!

Maybe you could buy a few dingy plates and cut them up, then weld up your new plates from the letters/numbers you salvaged.

Guest Buick56Special

Maybe you could buy a few dingy plates and cut them up, then weld up your new plates from the letters/numbers you salvaged.

There's a lot of different ways to do it....

post-105427-143142935158_thumb.jpg

post-105427-143142935163_thumb.jpg

Barry there is a guy in CT who will make your plates, he advertises in HMN but his name escapes me.

Re CT Vanity plates, my dad graduated from HS I believe in '56 and is fond of talking about the cars they had. One friend had a Ford "Kustom" with the license plate "ICED" so vanity plates were in use in CT in the early to mid fifties, FWIW.

In some states, while you can use YOM plates, they do not allow you to use restored plates. I suspect that in those states, you would not be allowed to use a replica plate.

The comment about personalized plates doesn't really apply to Barry, because he's contemplating using a normal-type sequence of letters and numbers as used in 1942.

The idea of buying a pair of YOM plates to secure that no one else has already registered that number is not a safe bet. If the same number from a different year is used, you cannot register the number again, i.e. #109 from 1932 registered to John Doe means that #109 from 1933 cannot be used. (This may be different from state to state, also.)

Steve_Mack_CT...I think that guy in CT is Anthony V. Polio. Located somewhere in the Orange, CT area. Sorry, that's all I have.

I didn't know that Mr. Pollio (Anthony V. Polio, 746 North Greenbriar Dr., Orange, CT 06477) was still active. If he is, I heartily endorse his work as he did several plates for me in the '80s and the work was excellent.

By the way, a close friend of mine had a YOM plate made for his Jaguar E-Type in the configuration "XKE-year of car" which was accepted by his state without question since it did not appear in their data base as being currently in use. My own plates are originals that were on the cars when they were new, e.g.:

ojkqbn.jpg

Edited by ejboyd5 (see edit history)

The idea of buying a pair of YOM plates to secure that no one else has already registered that number is not a safe bet. If the same number from a different year is used, you cannot register the number again, i.e. #109 from 1932 registered to John Doe means that #109 from 1933 cannot be used. (This may be different from state to state, also.)

One can register, use and display YOM plates on their vintage vehicle here in Alberta, but you are ALSO issued a set of the current Antique plates as well, which must be kept with the vehicle while it is in use; be it inside the trunk, or under the seat. The current plate is considered the 'official' one that follows the computer sequence and therefore allows two individuals to have the same YOM plate number from different year plates. Again, Alberta YOM plates must be the correct color combination as was used for that particular year, and one must have both front & rear plates to have them registered.

Craig

• 1 month later...

I have never used them but licenseplates.tv will make the closest replica to real tags and you choose the tag number. However, the oldest standard Michigan tag offered is a 1944 for $95. However, if you click the custom order button at the top right, explain what you want and show them the picture of what it should look like, they can give you a quote. Hopefully it won't be too excessive since they can then start offering to make 1942 plates for others. To ensure than somebody in the future does not mistake this for a real plate, please engrave "Replica" on the back. Us license plate collectors hate to spend money on a plate only to find later that it was a reproduction or replica. Gus Oliver

I though there was a statement with the application for a YOM plate that says something like:

" Applicant Certifies that the plate being used for the YOM licensing is an original plate issued by the State of_______ for that year" Check the wording in your state.

Guest Commander55
Got any pals in prison? I don't think law enforcement wants to hassle old car drivers in general anyway.

Are you sure about that? Check this out...

Edited by Commander55 (see edit history)

Guest Bob Call

First, my apology to MC Hinson and others, those the subject of my remarks are not an indictment of all law enforcement officers.

When I saw this on MSN several days ago my comment was that the officer that seemed to take charge, although he was not the ranking officer involved, has the typical power trip syndrome ofter seen in cops. Reason and common sense are totally absent from these guys, just I'm in charge and I'm right regardless of the facts. I have relatives, living and dead, that were or are in law enforcement and they have this trait. They are know-it-all a-holes of the first degree and should not be cops. The cops involved in this incident should all be placed on non-paid leave, if not fired, and prosecuted for false arrest, false imprisonment, abuse of power, violation of civil rights and anything else their attorney and the DA can think of.

The article on MSN said because of the cop not inputting the plus sign when he initially ran the plate number it came back as a Harley Davidson motorcycle. Anyone with the sense God gave a screwdriver knows that motorcycle plates are not the same size as car plates. Also, the man's name on his driver's license is the same as the owner's name on the car registration certificate. So, why continue your power trip? A-hole cop, that's why.

I realize that cops on the street face dangers everyday, but, they need to get off their power trip and use common sense.

Makes me understand why citizens groups are demanding changes in policing policies, and demanding use of dash cams and body cams. If I were the judge and this case came before me and I saw the dash cam video there would be some unemployed cops.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)