My Christmas present to me. I've been wanting one of these for so long. (64 Olds Starfire)

Amphicar BUYER

1964 Olds Starfire Convertible. Made some trades to find the $ and after some good luck trades, here she is!

Very well appointed and with several RARE options such as cruise control, reverb, AC and others. She will get a sympathetic resto and made road-worthy as a mostly daily driver. Sat in storage for about 25 years. I'll remove all the after-market stuff and retain only the correct.

post-31565-143142911445_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143142911439_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143142911442_thumb.jpg

Edited by Amphicar BUYER (see edit history)

I think I have one of those HEAVY cast wheel covers around in my pile of stuff.

If it's an extra one, I'd be interested.

Thanks for the great suggestions and good words! I've been an olds guy for a long time! I had a 64 Jetstar ragtop EXACTLY like my blue one below for about 25 years as a year round daily driver.

Here are a couple others I have (does this make me a hoarder?)

My 1964 Jetstar 88s (the blue one is not the 64 Starfire I mentioned earlier) and my girlfriend's 1970 Cutlass Supreme she rescued earlier this year from behind a fence.

post-31565-143142915637_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143142915622_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143142915653_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143142915658_thumb.jpg

Edited by Amphicar BUYER (see edit history)

Good score John. That's a pretty well loaded car for its time.

Make sure you get an owner's manual for this thing, if for nothing else to explain how the motor-driven Cruise Control works- it's considerably different from modern vacuum and electronic units. Olds actually had a stand-alone sales brochure for the 1964 Cruise Control. Its cover said "An Oldsmobile accessory that gives you a thrill every time you use it!"

The Flarestat could be a GM piece or an actual aftermarket Flarestat unit. I think it was 66 that GM started offering them either factory or dealer installed with actual GM wiring plugs on them. Before that the aftermarket Flarestats required some cut-and-splice on the wiring. I have one for a 66 Cadillac on my green one as the wiring plug is same as 64 Olds t/s switch.

Wait'll that Guide-Matic encounters some reflective highway signs. Watch it lose its mind...

I don't think you have to be a member to view it. Guy in Chicagoland area is parting some 64s including a decent looking blue interior. You car looks like has 1962 pattern buckets. Besides, one can never have too many spare Starfire parts!

Checked it out. He's very proud of his stuff, especially the front seats which may be priced right, I dunno. My Starfire arrived today so now it looks like this in front of my house. It's only 20 degrees outside so too ccccold to have some quality time with her.

post-31565-143142928139_thumb.jpg

Make sure you get an owner's manual for this thing, if for nothing else to explain how the motor-driven Cruise Control works- it's considerably different from modern vacuum and electronic units. Olds actually had a stand-alone sales brochure for the 1964 Cruise Control

That's because the speedometer cable worked off the left front wheel in full-size Oldsmobiles from 1963-70. No other North American GM vehicle utilized this arrangement.

Craig

"Never owned an Olds , but my last few Buicks run great with their engines! Nice car , just don't let the Amphicar get jealous!

kaycee

I noticed that blue Olds too (64 Dynamic 88). I'm no TV star! ;-) Nice day today so she got some love. She runs strong (love the smell of burning rubber) and drives nice. Started cleaning off the layer of neglect and soon will start making everything operate as intended. Lots of options, pwr antennae, top, wonderbar, reverb, r mirror, chrome engine package, great wheel covers, factory cruise, pwr windows, speed minder, vac trunk, extendable trunk lamp, AC, remote mirror, tilt 4 way emergency lamps and a really cool 70s La Cucaracha horn.

Some pitting in the chrome but still shining up nice. Once I remove all the "ad libbing" she'll look better. Needs a paint job. Really poor bodywork which concerns me a bit. She will be a much loved driver.

I'm very happy.

She will be a much loved driver.

I'm very happy.

That's all that matters!

Growing up in my teens my mother had a 1962 "88" with the 394. She complained to her brother that one of the rear tires would go bald every 2 months. He looked at me and then told her he would check the wheel bearings and fix the problem........

That's because the speedometer cable worked off the left front wheel in full-size Oldsmobiles from 1963-70. No other North American GM vehicle utilized this arrangement.

Craig

More to it than that. The CC didn't know if the front wheel or the transmission was driving the speedometer cable. This Dana/ Perfect Circle system was all electric- no vacuum or governor. Had a big electric motor underhood connected to the throttle linkage. Not only would it lock and maintain a preset speed, it could be used as a "reminder" when it wasn't engaged. It would push back on the accelerator pedal when you were exceeding whatever speed the "remind" feature was set. It did have an "accelerate/coast" feature of sorts in that changing the speed setting on the dial (see John's Cad pic above) would automatically increase or decrease speed to that setting and then lock in.

Complex system, but still not as complex as the 1966 Thunderbird's Highway Pilot.

And y'all just thought the current obsession with electronic gadgets in cars was something new.

That's because the speedometer cable worked off the left front wheel in full-size Oldsmobiles from 1963-70. No other North American GM vehicle utilized this arrangement. -

Craig

Not true, my Starfire (3 speed auto w/cc ) and my Jetstar 88 (2 speed auto non-cc) speedo cables run from the trans to the CC then to the speedometer. Only the F-85s are on the wheel hub.

I don't see your name on the NAOC roster. You'll be joining?? :D

Our 2016 national meet is in Colorado Springs.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the invite, but I will NEVER join another club of any kind. I apologize in advance for the following rant. I had a bad experience with another club that I thought was truly different from all other clubs and due to my passion I rose to be the president, webmaster and for a short time the treasurer all at the same time. A handful of people took an unsubstantiated accusation by a man with mental issues (not joking) and basically threw me under the bus then ran over me a few times. (all this while I was laying in the hospital still performing my duties after a head-on wreck) My long list of contributions which include several 100s of hours of my time and far more money than I had building the website that today is still mostly my design. My efforts have been ignored. One man in particular (he knows who he is) was instrumental in feeding the machine for his own twisted elitist ideals. Even though the accuser was eventually shown to be unstable and the accusations unfounded he was asked to leave in secret. Even with all I did I was told I did not do enough! (huh?) To date not a single apology nor acknowledgment of the exceedingly bizarre behavior has ever made by anyone involved although many in private voiced their opinions to me. There were several long time members who quit in protest over the secretive handling of the events yet nothing changed. This entire fiasco was largely ignored in a child like "head in the sand" attitude. I can say that the club has not had the following, numbers or involvement since I was thrown to the wolves without thought. The forums used to have a lot of traffic all day, now it's only every couple weeks or more. It is just a tragic thing that a couple narcissistic elitists choose to destroy another for unknown (to me) reasons. I have left out many details that make it even worse that you know.

As you can see obviously this is an open wound that has left me scarred and deeply angered. I gave a lot of passion, time, experience and money to the cause only to be crapped all over. I will never be so generous and freely give my talents and experiences to a club (pack) mentality ever again. My sincerest apology to all for the rant, but this experience has been the epitome of what a club and humans should not be. (stepping off my soapbox)

Wow!

Relax John!

Being independent is just fine. I had the same experience years ago with a MOPAR club. 7 people did all the work and 98 enjoy the benefits and did nothing but complain. My wife and I have much more fun now at shows and don't have to work the booths. We pay our fees, cook our food on the grill, and BS to all the passers by! Come on spring!!!!!!!!!

Not true, my Starfire (3 speed auto w/cc ) and my Jetstar 88 (2 speed auto non-cc) speedo cables run from the trans to the CC then to the speedometer. Only the F-85s are on the wheel hub.

Double check. J88s had Jetaways which were set up to drive off the trans. The other 63-70 FSCs except for a few later cruise applications drove it off the wheel. Look close and see if you've got a 62 transmission in there John.

Even with all I did I was told I did not do enough! (huh?)

Dang, that sounds like me as an OCA Zone director circa 1998-2001. When I realised that if I didn't get off that board of directors I was probably gonna pop the club president in the mouth, I did what any sane person who had been told he wasn't doing his job as a director would have done. I quit and didn't do anything! :D And then sat back and watched as the palace burned...