My 60 Electra 225 Convertible

Smartin

What I thought would be an easy project of replacing the shocks has turned into a full afternoon affair.  3 of the 4 bolts that hold the bottoms of the front shocks on broke off.  Drilling out bolts from under the car is not fun.

In other news, I ordered tires.  Now I get to strip and paint the wheels.  The tires should be delivered August 4 or 5.  No more brown walls!

I had to cut the nuts off the front shocks on my Corvair too.  Sometimes it's just the fastest way to get them out.

An easier way to remove the single nut on top would be to use an appropriate size deep well socket with a suitable extension end bend the rod back and forth until it fatigues and snaps off, that is, unless you want to re-use the old shock absorber.

It is scary to think you pay such a premium price for tires from that company, and then they send something like that out to a customer.  They either don't know that folks who pay those prices expect quality, or they don't care!  In either case, that is inexcusable!  I agree with Keith,  send it back!  

Summit will take care of everything and probably give a coupon for your trouble.

I sure hope so Willie.

Adam, please keep us informed of your results.

Just last night at our local cruise-in the subject of tires from a "supplier" came up and being in Canada, with the exchange rate climbing again, it adds even more to the costs.... to wait for shipping etc., and get something like that well, leaves everyone felling not too happy?

A positive adjustment / result would go a long way to a suppliers credibility. I myself might be in the position of needing tires once I get back on the road again so watching with concern.

I received a response from Coker this morning through email.  I just now sent him photos of the issues.  I see damage to the white wall, dry rot, and a 2007 date code...when all the other ones are 2014.

I simply asked for a replacement tire.  This one needs to go in the trash.  I will await his response.

Guest my3buicks

And how are they reinbursing you for your bother, time, and inconvenience? Shipping you out a deformed 7 year old tire is really not excusable for a company like Coker. I would further push the issue and specifically ask for a discount

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

I'm usually the guy who looks for the easiest solution, and am typically not confrontational.  So I told the guy I just want a new tire.  He is obliging :)

Also, it's no real skin off my back as far as trouble at this point.  I am having the wheels blasted and powdercoated, so it will be a couple weeks before I need tires I think.  Plus, I have a shipping guy I can just drop off the tire to, and he will get rid of it. 

• Like 1

I took the wheels to the powdercoater today.  $250 for blasting and coating.  Sounded fair to me, rather than having to make a trip to the blaster, then to the coater.  That is for all 5 wheels.

I also found the right rear axle seal leaking.  I replaced the left one after BCA this year...I guess they were both due.

Yes, the wheels originally came primered on the inside. You can't see that on mounted wheels. I think a Buick judge would call paint on both sides of the spare "over-restoration" and look past it.

I have powdercoated wheels in just "safety red" and they look great with whitewalls. $250 is about right.

Good luck on the tire.  I have a tire place I've bought a bunch of tires from.  I brought them a print of the tires listed from the Summit website, and they matched the price.  So it was on them to be sure the tires were good.

Your price on blast & coat for 5 rims is exactly what I got on mine about a year ago.  They turned them around in 2-3 days - anyway it was quicker than I expected.

Guest Rob McDonald

ADAM, I just went back to the start of this thread and read all the way through. Great work! I love the way you're keeping the car roadworthy, while making huge gains in its condition. That interior is spectacular. At the pace you're going, it won't be long before we see rust repair and some shiny paint. And of course, some underhood Smartinizing.

Guest my3buicks

No doubt, Lance.  I may do a quickie just to get me through the stage before I do all the body work.  It's pretty ugly under the hood.

You never do a quickie, it will be beautiful I am sure

• Like 1

My right rear axle seal was leaking, so I ordered another one from CARS.  Annnnnd the wrong one came.  Now I have a car sitting on jack stands until I can get a local supplier to get the right one on Tuesday.

But I was able to get the blue gunk cleaned off the tires before the 2" of rain started this morning...and managed to mount one wheel before I found the axle issue.

post-76696-0-37772300-1440254789_thumb.j