Just Curious, Driving an Old Car With One Leg?

Guest bofusmosby

As most older cars had a steering column hand throttle, and foot clutch, I think someone that has mastered the skills could probably do it. But a smooth operation of the hand throttle leaves only one hand for steering and there would be no power steering. A later car with an automatic and PS and a rigged hand throttle might be easier. My opinion, best to consult state DMV.

John

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you John. I was primarily speaking of the cars from the 30's and 40's, with a standard transmission, with no power steering, or auto transmission.

A friend of mine only has right leg, and he drove a 1950 ford with no hand controls, the car has no power steering no auto trans. Drove this car long distance with no problems

Sad to say thou he passed away last spring , but his wife still brings the car to cruises and shows.

If you look in some of the old GM parts books they have "Valiant" controls for people who lost limbs. It gave options like loops on steering wheels for hooks for lost arms. Relocation of controls from side to side and for loss of legs it gave hand controls. I imagine they would be hard to find but could probably be fabricated with the photos in the parts books. I actually saw one of the controls in the GM box at a dealer I was getting parts from. I can't remember which function it was. Needless to say I didn't add that to my parts pile. It would have been a long hard sell I think.

Guest bofusmosby

Never gave that any thought until now, but it makes sense that they would do what ever was needed to accomidate someone with a disability. Good to know!

I would say that it depends on the car, and your ability to adjust to using only one leg..

Why not start trying it right now?

See if you can operate the car successfully.

I would say that the most likely thing to 'learn' is slipping the clutch from a standstill, as if leaving a stop sign or stoplight.

Next would be learning to shift, either with using the clutch or without. With the proper use of the throttle only, a standard shift trans

can be shifted quietly and smoothly. But it takes practice. Most over the road semi truck drivers don't use the clutch once they are in motion.

If the car you are contemplating driving has a hand throttle either on the steering wheel or easily reachable on the dashboard, I think it can be done.. Just not in rush hour traffic in the city.

If you think you will be able to use a prosthesis, then there should be almost no problem and just a short learning curve. I have several friends with one natural leg and a prosthesis on the other, and do very well.

Greg L

I once saw a hand-operated lever connected to a rod which actuated the clutch pedal.

It operated in a way similar to how a bus driver opened and closed the curbside bus door on an old Greyhound.

My Dad had lost the use of his right leg (but did eventually regained it).

He had a device which clamped to the gas pedal of his '72 Cadillac Sedan deVille

It allowed him to use his left leg, but could disengage to be out of the way when Mom drove

Guest bofusmosby

Thanks guys! Not saying that I'll never need to try and drive this way, but I am having a problem with my left leg, and one never knows what the future holds. It's always nice to have options....just in case.

You guys may be tired of my racing stories, BUT.

I used to race with a guy that had a wooden left leg. His car was an automatic so not many worries. But since we turn left his leg would end up drifting over to the right and get in his way. His crew would duct tape his left (wooden) leg to his door bars.

I would be worried if I had to get out of the racecar in a hurry. Harnesses are quick release, duct tape isn't.

Guest Bob Call

I have a prosthesis on my right leg after loosing my foot to a MRSA infection five years ago. As soon as I got the prosthesis I got in my car (Ford 500) and started driving around the neighborhood to learn to control the throttle with the prosthesis. After about a week I was good to go. I now have a 52 Imperial with Torque Flite so my left leg can easily operate the brake and clutch as the clutch is not required after the gear selection is made, low or high range forward, or, reverse. I had a friend, who passed away about 10 years ago, who built conversion vans for handicapped people. There are hand controls available for throttle, brake or clutch. Just to have to find a shop like my friend had and they can supply and install whatever controls you need.

Happy Motoring! (Humble Oil and Refining Company slogan)

At the end of WW2 when new cars were in short supply and auto transmissions were rare, new cars with automatics were offered first to disabled war veterans. All car makers offered hand controls at this time if not earlier. There were accessory companies who made hand controls too.

I also heard of an amputee who drove a 32 Ford with no added hand controls, he used a sawed off pool cue to work the clutch pedal. The old cars you refer to, could be driven in high gear most of the time and did not have to shift down. You could slow down to 5 or 10 MPH in high and pull away with no trouble.

By the late 30s you could buy a Chrysler product with Fluid Drive, or a GM product with Hydramatic. Hudson offered their Drivemaster automatic clutch and self shifting mechanism. Packard had an automatic clutch. Chrysler had an automatic clutch before Fluid Drive. REO offered a self shifting trans in 1933.

Daimler had a Fluid Flywheel combined with preselector transmission in 1930. By 1931 or 32 you could buy a Daimler or Lanchester with Fluid Flywheel. This was the same type unit as a Fluid Drive, like a torque converter without the power multiplying feature.

The units seemed to be problematical so getting one in good working order could be an issue, but in the 1932-34 time frame a number of Chrysler built makes had optional automatic clutches. In theory, it allows one to drive without using the clutch pedal at all which would mean you wouldn't need both legs to drive.

Chrysler and others had vacuum automatic clutches in the thirties.

Mercedes had a semi auto trans in the fifties and early sixties with an automatic vacuum clutch and fluid drive. VW had the same thing in the seventies.

It would not be hard to rig up a vacuum clutch with push button electric control especially if you found an old VW to cabbage parts off of. I am thinking specifically of the control valve. It might be possible to use a power brake booster as a servo.

Bofus I don't know what the problem is but you should be able to work the clutch with a stick if you have to. If the problem is permanent you may want to get something newer with an automatic.

It would be possible to install an auto trans in your car but big $$$$$ bucks. Cheaper to just trade for an automatic equipped car.

There are pictures of Franklin Roosevelt driving a mid-30's Ford convertible equipped with hand controls so I would say it can be done. I never saw a picture of the inside of that car so don't know how it was set up.

In some of the promo material for the movie Hyde Park on Hudson they said they shipped a vintage Ford to England for shooting the movie and that they converted it to hand controls just as Roosevelt's car was. Don't know how accurate their conversion was but evidently they figured out how to do it.

Guest bofusmosby

Thanks guys for all your answers. Rusty, since you asked, it has been found that I have a large growth (the size of a very large grapefruit) in my upper thigh, and I was just thinking as a worse case senereo, if they have to remove my leg, would I still be able to drive my old Pontiac. I see now that there is at least a possibility of doing this.

Thank you!

I have been driving my Amphicar (4 speed manual, no power anything!) for years without the use of either leg! Broke my back 32 years ago and been paralyzed ever since.

Here is how I did it. Everything works by hand or foot without interference or the need to switch anything for use by hand of foot. I use a Harley hand clutch handle/cable attached to a power booster from a Geo, mated to a master cyl from International truck operating a slave cylinder from triumph at the transmission. The slave cylinder pushed the end of the cable where by foot it pulls the cable. The power booster enables it to be actuated easily by hand.

post-31565-143142384532_thumb.jpg

Back in the day (pre-automatics becoming popular) hand controls were set up connecting the clutch and brake to a single handle under the column in such a way that when you push the handle forward it would apply the clutch then the brake. So to shift, push forward enough to disengage the clutch but not engage the brake, shift then release. To stop, push forward disengaging the clutch then the brake.

post-31565-14314238452_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143142384524_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143142384527_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143142384529_thumb.jpg

Edited by Amphicar BUYER (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

John, I had no idea. You are a true inspiration for sure! All you guys posting this info makes me feel a lot better. Thank you! John, those controls are impressive, and I see that you are quite the engineer! Excellect!!!

Thanks! Just my homage to Rube Goldberg. :cool:

You should see my 1995 FLHR (Harley roadking). I have the patent (#5299652) on the hand controls I built so I could ride again. Anything is possible if ya just give it a try. No matter what, you'll be just fine.

(My plate says "HD GIMP")

post-31565-143142384757_thumb.jpg

Edited by Amphicar BUYER (see edit history)

In 1980, when I was guest of Morris and Libby Burrows for the Glidden in New Hampshire in their 1914 T-head Mercer Runabout, Morris booked accommodation elsewhere because he regarded the old wooden Bretton Woods Hotel as an unacceptable fire risk. Staying at the same establishment was a tall gentleman of notable Boston ancestry, who attended in his immaculate 1930 Franklin sedan. He drove this with auxiliary hand controls which he had fitted, I gather because he could not use normal foot controls because of past illness. I was told that one of his favourite tour cars was a 1914 Packard 6 cylinder L-head, the last new model before the Twin Six, and surely the largest engine of a normal car that they ever made. It would be an heroic accomplishment to drive one of those with hand controls.

I was compelled to drive my manual transmission ute with use of only one leg a dozen years ago. I needed arthroscopic surgery on my left knee; and that was stiffly strapped for about a week. No-one else was with me, and I did have to drive to town several times for necessities. Seven and a half miles each way was too far to walk. Unable to bend that left leg, I was able to enter the driving position , leaving the leg on the passenger side. I managed clutch ,brake, and throttle with my right foot. Fortunately, being a diesel, it needed fewer gear changes; but it was pretty hairy if someone stopped suddenly in front of me. It is possible, but not recommended. I must be a lot easier for someone used to driving automatic transmission, but I am a consciencious objector, and I always avoid them.

Bofus: it's good that you are 'looking ahead' but I'll add that modern medicine, and surgical techniques are pretty amazing. I know a vascular surgeon who tells me about various procedures he's done, or assisted in or watched..

I have faith that you will be fine in the long run.. you may have some long-term rehabilitation to do, but I'm pretty sure that if you currently have use of your leg, that you will retain it with some temporary loss of use and strength..

I'm an optimist, but have faith.

Greg L

John Bevins, you are incredible. I can say this with authority as I became a paraplegic and amputee of my entire right leg not quite 2 years ago when an SUV ran into the motorcycle I was riding. I was 60 when the accident happened. I keep hearing you can do anything if you adapt to your situation. Driving a standard shift old car I figured was never going to happen again, much less ever ride a motorcycle (after 40 years of riding).

Thank you for your posting. I'm not sure I will ever be able to do what you are doing but I do feel a lot more inspired.

Thanks also to the others who posted here with their stories.

Terry

20, or so. years ago, I built a clutch setup in a Bronco for my friend who was a paraplegic.

I used a standard handicapped, column mounted hand control for the gas and brake. For the clutch, I built a lever that bolted to the floor on the right side. I used an old parking brake cable that ran from the bottom of the lever to the clutch pedal. When you pulled back, it disengaged the clutch. I used a heavy spring that attached to the lever 6 or 8 inches above the pivot point. The other end went to the floor. When the spring went over center, the clutch would stay dis engaged. I used a motorcycle twist grip on the end of the lever, so it had two throttles. The twist grip was for shifting and taking off from a stop. Once he was rolling, in high, he used the column mount throttle. It worked very well.

If you were missing a leg, you could dispense with all of the monkey motion except for the clutch lever with the over center spring setup

In 1956-57 I spent 9 months studying at a school that was ran in conjunction with a rehabilitation center. I met the most amazing person there I think I have ever known. He was probably in his early twenties and had lost both arms (at the shoulders) in a hay baler accident. It caught one arm and he tried to free that arm and it caught the other one. He had a light blue '51 Ford and when I marveled that he was able to drive he told me after he lost his arms he drove a straight-drive '40 Ford coupe to California and back by himself. He carried his room key in his loafer shoe and would kick the shoe off, pick the key up with his toes and unlock his door, and put the key back into his shoe. I never understood how he could position himself in the car to steer it with his feet but I know he did because I saw him many times leaving the school or returning. At that time as long as you did not get it taken away for road violations, once you got a driving license it was yours for life. I doubt the examiners would ever have passed him if he had to retake the road test.

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you guys, this thread has turned inspirational to the max, and I am appreciative of all of you.

With my leg, I got the test results back from the MRI, and the doctor thinks it's cancer. The growth has grown so big, it is now pressing on the femur. So far, the bone is OK, so as long as it doesn't get into the bone, then I am in hopes that I will keep my leg. Another problem I have is having no insurance. If I have surgery (which I am positive I will have), then they may go after my assets, and I'm sure that my old Pontiac will be one of them. Well, it is staying closed up in my garage, so maybe not. LOL

with regards to truckdrivers not using the clutch once the semi is moving, that is true, I know, I am a 16 year veteran of driving semi's cross country, but truck transmission have straight cut gears, some cars, if almost all of them have gears with angle cuts teeths. Charles Coker, 1953 Pontiac tech advisor.

I knew a guy who not only drove but restored a Model A roadster from a wheelchair. He was paralyzed from the waist down in a motorcycle accident. He probably had some help but he did far more than I can do and I have all my faculties. He had the brake and clutch levers but he was plenty busy with shifting,choking,braking, throttling, steering and spark advancing and retarding. He would approach the car from the passenger side, open the door, drop the left armrest,lift up and edge over,fold up the wheelchair and pull it up while scooting over to the driver's seat.

I'm certainly sorry to hear of your trouble, Bofy.You are a guy that should benefit from the new healthcare plan. I hope it doesn't get to that.

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

Yep, the straight cut gears like in the '20's cars are a bit easier to 'feel' the gear teeth matching then meshing. But a syncro gearbox is even easier, the balk ring or syncro will just act as a buffer against you forcing the gears to mesh until their speeds match. It's actually pretty easy. And the sliding gear has similar engagement 'dogs' or teeth like a truck or early non-syncro trans, just no syncro rings in between the two.

Greg.

Guest bofusmosby

I remember back in the early 80s, the shop I worked for had a service truck. One day the clutch pedal went out, asnd I was able to drive it without a clutch. When I came to a stop sign or light, I would let the van stall. I would then **** into first gear, and to go, I would start the van in first gear. When the engine started (I was moving in first gear) I could then time it right and shift into the other 2 gears without the clutch. I had to drive this way for a few days until we had the truck repaired. I had forgotten all about that.

I remember back in the early 80s, the shop I worked for had a service truck. One day the clutch pedal went out, asnd I was able to drive it without a clutch. When I came to a stop sign or light, I would let the van stall. I would then **** into first gear, and to go, I would start the van in first gear. When the engine started (I was moving in first gear) I could then time it right and shift into the other 2 gears without the clutch. I had to drive this way for a few days until we had the truck repaired. I had forgotten all about that.

Had a VW Beetle that broke a clutch cable and had to get it home that way too. Had a '63 Dodge truck and a '92 Jeep with hydraulic clutches which both failed at different times and used that technique to get them home.

I am a bit surprised about the finance issue. Even if not eligible for subsidy, I would have thought that with the new setup, healthcare insurance premiums would be cheaper than paying for the surgery out of pocket. And they can't deny you for pre-existing conditions anymore.