Car acquisition, never tell your wife never.....

trimacar

Funny day. Beautiful weather in the Shenandoah Valley. At breakfast, talking about this and that, I mentioned to my lovely wife that there was a car in New Orleans that would be a good replacement for the Firebird, a car bought for our 17 year old son. He has yet to get a driver license, as many kids don't these days until late teens.

I made an off hand comment that "nah, retired now, don't think I'll be buying any more cars".

Idly going through Ebay, and did my usual search for cars close to home.

Yikes, there's a car that my wife's been wanting for a while. Yikes, the price is right, and it's 10 miles from us.

I love to make a short story long, but won't. Went and looked at car, belonged to father of two nice gentlemen who met us at the house, the car was the father's pet project and he recently passed away. Car has been in the same garage for 25 years, the fellow had done a lot of work to the wonderfully rust free and original car, needing a top and some minor interior work to be complete....wow, dream car for a trimmer. Hasn't run in a few years, but at the price well worth it....

1967 Lincoln Continental convertible, one of the largest cars ever shipped from Detroit at a whopping 5300 pounds, and one of only 2300 or so of the last year of the four door LC convertible. Georjean loves the suicide rear door and the majesty of the thing...

Now, garage space is an issue....pictures to follow next week, picking up Monday....

Thanks, one look and we were hooked....car was under cover and dust free, I was in nice clothes but dropped to floor and inspected underneath, even lifted new carpet that was half installed... no rust solid car..the funny part was in negotiation, I made an offer, fellow thought a minute and countered with the figure half way between asking price and offer, and my wife immediately said " yeah, that works" and deal was done...so maybe technically SHE bought car?

I agree that these are a lot of car for the money, I've casually looked for one for a while, but never expected to find a really nice one in the pleasant four figures....

Sounds like you have a good one (wife), maybe she can get you to re-label your topic's. Mine too is a good partner in this hobby, even though she never liked my El Camino's since the 59, and now we're on our third one. She does like the tours with AACA and I always tell her what tours & cars I'm considering. Most times she thinks their cool too.

Having been friends with Dave for many years I know how tight he is...... :rolleyes: on space. I'm glad your wife approved of the new acquisition, and gave the go ahead on bringing it home. As any good friend would offer, you can bring ANY one of your open Classics to my garage for long term loan; I mean storage. Just be sure they are properly insured...... and registered. Good luck with the new car. I sold one 20 years ago and sure wish I kept it. ED

Dave,

Congratulations on your recent new purchase!

While this is not my car, I did get a chance to drive it last fall thanks to a fellow local Car Club member and friend. It is a BIG car! And floats down the road!

post-36036-143141848399_thumb.jpg

He also has a factory 36" stretch limo that is currently in the restoration process. Talk about storage issues!!!

Hope you have many happy miles on the road!

Doug

BCA# 35039

David,

Congratulations on Georjean's latest purchase/aquisition. We've always known that she has good taste. Dale especially loves that car, and has, ever since travelling cross-country from Denver to Rochester, MN along with the one Hank and Vesta Pittman drove, between the 1992 Chrome Glidden and Founders Tours.

While we are also very tight on space down here, I could arrange in-and-out storage for the Pierce, Cord, and Packard, keeping them limber for your hopefully more frequent visits.

Lets plan on taking the LC out for ice cream en route to the AACA Gettysburg Eastern Spring Meet in May - my treat!

post-54863-143141849071_thumb.jpg

David, as said before you have a great knack for a well rounded collection - great choice, IMHO.

Can't help with space, but I was cleaning the garage this weekend and remembered our discussion on my California Car Cover I had made up for My Packard 120, let me know if still interested, shipping may be scary though.

In any event, great choice - reminds me of a guy in our neighborhood when I was growing up - he had a few of these as they were collected as early as the mid 70s. I would like one as well sometime.

Sounds like you bought it right. Great find. As mentioned above, they seem to still be underrated. That's a whole lot of bang for your buck. Now if you need a place to store the Cord I could probably squeeze it in the shop next to mine. Then I can see what they changed on mine. :)

Here she is, what a boat.....a very good car, pictures always flatter of course, but rust free, decent paint, new interior.....needs tires, needs a top, now if I can just find a good trimmer, I hear they're hard to come by......came with a Suburban full of new and used parts, including what appears to be a NOS front fender, still has paper tags under it, which I believe will be for sale if someone needs it.....

post-31482-143141850951_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143141850963_thumb.jpg

I need tires but like the narrow whitewall, agree that wide whites are a bit much for this car....think the original 9.15-15 size converts to 235R75-15....anyone know for sure? And should I buy radials?

I've run radials on my '67 for years and yes 235R75-15 is the best match. I'm not a trimmer, but there are some tricks to installing this top such as wiring running throught the top to the header motors and the pocket in the inside of the top above the rear window with the rubber magnetic strip which holds the top to the rear window frame when the top is up. This does not come with the replacement top and must be moved from the old top to the new one. Talk to someone who has done one of these before. They are great cars. I've had mine since 1979 along with several other '60's Lincolns which I no longer have.

Thanks Dave good information. Right now the bows are bare, in perfect condition, so it'll be a top install with no reference. I do have the pieces, however, including the magnetic strip, which he saved. Also, the glass rear window, although I'm not quite sure how that gets attached....but hey, who needs a top!!

Rob, when she was born, she had an Uncle George and an Aunt Jean, thus the name...thanks, it is a neat name...