New TV Show - VEGAS - Car Wrangler Needed!

TexRiv_63

I just watched the pilot episode of this show which was supposed to take place in 1960. Naturally I'm interested in watching period cars - they had a lot of nice ones, unfortunately ONLY ONE was built in 1960 or earlier! I saw a 61 or 62 Lincoln, 62 Thunderbird, 62 Cadillac, 64 Pontiac, and a few 62 and 63 Ford police cars...the only correct car I saw was a 56 or 57 Buick. I know you see this sort of thing all the time in period movies and TV shows but I don't think I've ever seen one that was this totally wrong. Part of why it got me was that so many of the 1960 cars were so unique and totally different from the later cars they used. My wife just laughed at me but I had to vent somewhere!

I was under the impression that the show was supposed to take place in the EARLY 1960s, not 1960. I also saw several inconsistencies, however. Quaid's Dodge pickup was 4WD with white aftermarket "wagon wheel" wheels in an early scene and 2WD with plain white steel wheels in a later scene. The "wagon wheels" didn't come on the market until the 1970s. Also, the bikes ridden by the evil motorcycle gang were typical of custom bikes built in the last 15 years or so. No motorcycle in the 1960s had that wide a rear tire, for one thing.

I notice at least one of the Harleys had an Evo (1984-2000) engine in it and the one Indian was a newer gen model with an after-market S&S engine in it. The styling of the bikes was no where near period correct either (fat rear tire certainly was NOT available then). I guess they think a bike is a bike. I noticed that vehicles that would have been 1-3 years old were beat up with primer spots and dull paint like they were 40 years old. Humm? For a high dollar production at least they should pay attention to details a little better.

My wife and I watched the show and the first thing I noticed was that none of the cars were 1960 or earlier - until the '56 Buick showed up in the background of one scene - and at the very beginning, they established that it was 1960. I was going on so much about the "accuracy" of the cars - which really bugs me on TV shows - my wife gave up and went to bed. Overall, I thought the show was pretty good but I guess the producers don't think automotive historical accuracy is important. Stuff like this always bugs me - even when shows were new. You'd see the cops leave in an Impala, drive down the street in a Dodge Diplomat or Plymouth Fury and arrive in a Ford.

Guest 4 bufords

they really did not do their homework on the years of the cars and bikes.also when the hub cap was shot off the caddy,the next shot showed the car with the hubcap back on,now how did that happen. really bugs me when they screw up,4 bufords from ct

they really did not do their homework on the years of the cars and bikes.also when the hub cap was shot off the caddy,the next shot showed the car with the hubcap back on,now how did that happen.

Yeah, I caught the hubcap issue also. Of course, of the millions of people who watched the show, we're probably the only ones who picked up on these things and who care about them anyway. Let's be serious here, the show is FICTION, not a documentary.

Of course, of the millions of people who watched the show, we're probably the only ones who picked up on these things and who care about them anyway.

Very true, the fact we even know what 1960 cars should look like also shows our age. Just another symptom of Old Car Disease!

... Let's be serious here, the show is FICTION, not a documentary.

This does not excuse poor execution. Would it be just as OK if the clothing or landscape were incorrect for the period? Would it be OK to show the Luxur in the background? If they are going to do a show like this, the easiest thing to get right should be the cars. No need to CGI them like the strip or other non-existant locales.

My wife noticed that every car except for the 1956 Buick was newer than the "1960" Title in the introduction. Yes, she is a Judge, and a "Car Guy", too.

And when you shoot out a tire and it loses the wheelcover, how does that tire get re-inflated and reinstall the wheelcover before it skids to a stop?

WISH I COULD REPAIR MY TRAILER TIRES ON-THE-FLY LIKE "VEGAS" FIXES TIRES.

Oh, and by the way, today is Sept. 28, 2010, so Mr. Producer, Please deliver my 2019 Packard Phaeton, and my 2020 Cadillac convertible at Hershey when I get there to celebrate my birthday.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

I just watched the pilot episode of this show which was supposed to take place in 1960. Naturally I'm interested in watching period cars - they had a lot of nice ones, unfortunately ONLY ONE was built in 1960 or earlier! I saw a 61 or 62 Lincoln, 62 Thunderbird, 62 Cadillac, 64 Pontiac, and a few 62 and 63 Ford police cars...the only correct car I saw was a 56 or 57 Buick. I know you see this sort of thing all the time in period movies and TV shows but I don't think I've ever seen one that was this totally wrong. Part of why it got me was that so many of the 1960 cars were so unique and totally different from the later cars they used. My wife just laughed at me but I had to vent somewhere!

I also saw this, and while I also complain about incorrect cars in a period movie or show, this has to be the absolute worst I have ever seen. Not a single car correct that I could see until they got to the 1956 Buick. How hard can it be to simply not use anything built after 1960? It is not like they are specific hard to find rare vehicles that you are looking for and had to settle for something close. The are plenty of 1950's cars out there. This just makes me think they simply don't care. I was shaking my head so much I didn't even pay any attention to what was going on in the show.

My wife and I watched the show and the first thing I noticed was that none of the cars were 1960 or earlier - until the '56 Buick showed up in the background of one scene - and at the very beginning, they established that it was 1960. I was going on so much about the "accuracy" of the cars - which really bugs me on TV shows - my wife gave up and went to bed. Overall, I thought the show was pretty good but I guess the producers don't think automotive historical accuracy is important. Stuff like this always bugs me - even when shows were new. You'd see the cops leave in an Impala, drive down the street in a Dodge Diplomat or Plymouth Fury and arrive in a Ford.

As with everyone else that has posted, I noticed the egregious (to car guys) errors within seconds of the show opening.

I made mention of it to my Wife, who is used to such comments from me. Got a bit of a "who gives a darn?" eye-roll as I am used to receiving from her. ;)

I kept it to myself from there on out. But I was keeping tally in my head. lol. :P

I don't know why it is so hard. The show Mad Men went out of it's way to make sure everything was as period accurate as possible. Once I saw the error in the years of cars used in the show Vegas, I start looking for other things that may be out of place.

I noticed in a diner scene one of the coffee makers had an orange & white warning label of some sort on it.

Update - watched the second episode this week. Still labeled as 1960, it begins with the same incorrect Lincoln, Thunderbird, and Ford cop car, but then like magic almost every other car shown was correct vintage! And they showed quite a few cars, including a painful crash with, I think, a 1960 Pontiac. Almost like someone was told to get their act together...

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after watching several episodes of this show, the model year inaccuracies are the least of the problems. More concerning is that the show is averaging one old car destroyed per episode. If I were cynical, I'd say this is yet another attempt by tree-hugging Hollywood types to get these cars off the road.

Truth be known the vast majority of people watching don't know or care about absolute correctness so why should the producer take on extra expense. I'm a pilot and when I watch aviation themed shows I usually end up muttering about the phoniness of it. I'm sure doctors and lawyers end up doing the same thing. But hey, it's just a show................Bob

Watched last night, noticed the street addresses on the neighborhood curbs

were modern, the asphalt streets in the subdivision looked like they had

been there 30 years ....

Loved the red corvette the driveway ...

Here is a nice original 63' I dropped off last week ....

post-56761-143139239358_thumb.jpg

AMC has Mad Men which has the most authentic era representation

in every aspect .....

Jim

This show, Vegas, is not really very good to begin with - most likely, it will be canceled without being renewed for a second season. I've become convinced that ANY show that is broadcast on ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX is not worth watching, with the exception of local/national news or certain sporting events. Far better shows can be found on AMC, FX and TNT. Mad Men on AMC is a particularly good one.

Guest Foggy norm

I wouldn't panic over the desruction of car's on TV, many time's they'll pull a car from a junk yard for that purpose. It's amazing what some of those movie prop's guy's can do with a piece of junk. Sometime's you'll notice the car has no interior or window glass, if it roll's over, no motor! Don't get me started on Western's...rain slicker's...really!

This show, Vegas, is not really very good to begin with - most likely, it will be canceled without being renewed for a second season.

I disagree completely.

If you want to talk about shows that are no good - try all the stuff trying to capitalize on the fantasy stuff like Grimm, or Once Upon A Time. Ceee-riminy!

I wouldn't panic over the desruction of car's on TV, many time's they'll pull a car from a junk yard for that purpose. It's amazing what some of those movie prop's guy's can do with a piece of junk. Sometime's you'll notice the car has no interior or window glass, if it roll's over, no motor! Don't get me started on Western's...rain slicker's...really!

I don't know about that. I suppose it is done sometimes. But the majority of cars on this show, 4 door 1962-64 can probably be bought for less than $8000 each, maybe even $5 or $6K. So I would think it would be easier and cheaper for them to just find decent ones and destroy them rather than spending a lot of time and effort making a junkyard one look decent for the shot, especially if it needs to be running. They obviously aren't concerned about authenticity, so whatever they can find cheap and conveniently would work.