Could this be a custom Marmon?

JRA

The pictures below show a 1920's or 1930's sport car. It has 8 cyl Marmon engine, code: N7557, what I believe to be the 1929 Marmon, model 78. Am I correct? However, I could not identify this sport body type for Marmon in 1929. Did they have custom bodies at that time? I believe the front grille was added during the restoration 30 years ago. I was told this coach work could be Delage or Delahaye. Is it possible? The hood latches are very different and maybe could offer some hint...<O:p</O:p

Thanks for any help.<O:p</O:p

JRA<O:p</O:p

post-76672-143138659361_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143138659368_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143138659375_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143138659381_thumb.jpg

Looks like a sports car body ad from 1950's 'Speed Age'

Anyone else remember the Krugar Marmon? Ray Radford added the wood lights and took out the Marmon engine replacing it with an A Dusey since it had an A chassis

Kruhat offered these as kits to finished cars. They were postwar and high standard

post-62158-143138662941_thumb.jpg

Edited by RU22 (see edit history)

The history of such car is very interesting. This car was scraped by its owner due its very poor condition. He abandoned the car in a quiet street in a small town in Brazil country back in late 40's or early 50's. The only official information we have is an announcement in a daily newspaper in back on august 4th 1953 saying: "the municipality informs to whom may concern that the following items were found in the public streets of such town and if they are not claimed in the next 30 days they will be sold in public auction: (i) four male horses (different fur colours are described), (ii) one female horse (brown fur), (iii) one goat (black and white fur), (iv) one poor condition beige roadster with Marmon engine, (v) one green cargo cart with eight wheels and (vi) one blue fruit cart with three wheels.

Based on that, I believe this car is older than 1950's...

Are there coach buiilt cars for Marmon in 1929?

Thanks,

Julio

I suspect the car was exported to Europe and sometime in the thirties had this body fitted to it. I would guess that the same people who built custom bodies for DeLage and Delahaye built the body or perhaps Graber. Right off the top of my head I can't say whether Graber was in Sweden or Switzerland but I'm thinking Sweden.

Like I said before, very well done. I can say with most certainty that the body was not put on a 1929 Chassis in 1929. It is just not something you would see that early. It is possible it was done in the late 30s as the front styling is indicative of that period. While the nose is reminiscent of the Swiss builder Graber, the tail is very English.

So to answer your original question, Yes it is a custom Marmon. However, the body was not put on the chassis originally but I guess it's possible it was done before WWII. There are pictures in period of almost all bodies produced by the larger builders. Finding a prewar picture of the car would help a lot.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

Very cool - is it aluminum or sheetmetal? Have you been able to see any of the skeleton - wooden or steel? That may give you some clue as to the approximate build time. Also, there may be a body tag in some obscure place.

I agree with the consensus that the body is too streamlined/advanced to have been original and more indicative of late 30s. In any event, at least you know with certainty the body was done no later than the news account, and that would indicate some wear on the car making late 30s your most likely build time taking an educated guess.

This looks usable as is - do you own it and what are your plans for it? Most interesting vehicle for sure - good luck with it.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
spelling (see edit history)

The newspaper account of the "poor condition beige roadster" does not imply one way or another that the car had its original roadster body from the 1920s, or the body now on the car. The person that purchased the car in the 1950s could have installed the new body at that time, or its possible the new body was installed 30 years ago when it was restored. Historical photos would be of significant help.

This is a longshot but another thing you can do is contact the Marmon club - it's possible that it is a "known car", you never know.

What is the wheelbase - this does not look like a really big car as Marmons typically are. Do you know for sure it is on a Marmon chassis and not just Marmon powered? (To West's point, it's possible they are not referring to the current body. A shortened chassis could lean one's opinion that the "roadster" configuration was in place at the time of the news account, just another theory to consider.)

Sorry for all the questions, I am just thinking the right questions could lead you to your answers...

More pics please - I think several of us are intrigued! ;)

Thanks for your thougths. Some responses:

- this car is owned by a friend, who bought it in 1972. He is the fourth owner after the 1953 auction.

- the chassis is definetively a Marmon chassis. My friend also owns a 1929 Marmon touring, so I checked against it, and they are the same.

- I measured a wheelbase of aprox. 119", took from front hubcap (center) to rear hubcap (center). I am not sure this is the proper way to measured it.

- the bumpers were probably added during a restorartion in the 60's

I will take soon more pictures and also scan old pictures to post.

thanks

JRA

The manufacturer of the electrical components ie. Headlights, Tail light, gauges etc may give some clue to its origin.

If they are Lucas or CAV it may have been built in England or if they are Bosch it may have been Europe.

If they are a US manufacturer then it was probably built in the Americas somewhere

Neat car.

It is a Marmon emblem, but I am not sure it was not added in some of the resaturations, so the question about if it is or not an original Marmon custom model.

Hw about a good close-up of the hubcaps. They might be a clue to the chassis.

To me, the headlights look a bit odd and these. like the tailights, may have been adapted later to the body. An ID on them would help with the mystery.

\John

The spare tire says Marmon on the cap, so....

post-37352-143138662048_thumb.jpg

More pictures and additional info. I took the wheel base measure again (center of hubcap to center of hubcap): 118.5", exactly the same wheel base of the other Marmon 78 my friend has and I use as reference. I measured the radiator honeycomb core and compare it with the other Marmon 78 too. It has the same width and frame, but it is about 5.1"shorter than the other one. We should expect that due the differen and shorter hood this car has. Al gauges are new add ons, as tail lights, that were added during last restoration.The steering wheel is original as the wire wheels as well. The downdraft carburators are not original but that strange intake manifold with optional updraft carburator opening (currently sealed) seems to be original and without any weldding signal.

Thanks

JRA

:)

post-76672-143138662748_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143138662753_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143138662757_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143138662761_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143138662764_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143138662768_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143138662771_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143138662775_thumb.jpg

This friend of mine is selling his entire collection. Some of the other cars are: 1929 Marmon 78 Phaeton; 1926 big six Studebaker roadster; 1926 Chrysler roadster; 1950 Jowett Jupiter; 1959 VW beetle; this one we are talking in this post; and the one I consider the rarest one: 1936 Chevrolet Master Imperial 4 dr Cabriolet (this fine 4 dr open car is a very special coach work done by Glaser, in Dresden, Germany, focused in the european market).

Talking about this other cars, the Studebaker needs a new radiator, but this 1926 model has a very different round/curved core type, does anyone know where he can buy it?

Thanks

Julio

I will take some pictures of this 1936 Chevrolet. The one attached is a scanned one, but you can see another good picture of it in the link below. It was taken at a car show here in Rio two years ago.

Chevrolet Master Imperial 1936 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This 1936 Chevy is entirely original. I believe only two of them were shipped to Brazil in 1936, and this one is the survivor.

I have created a thread at VCCA trying to identy the production figures of such car, and I got some info about it, but no numbers.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/chevytalk/GMhistory/36convsd1.jpg

Is it considered a valid Classic ?

Best,

JRA

post-76672-143138665206_thumb.jpg