1950 Grille teeth

Rosiesdad

• 3 months later...

The car is a 76R. It was parked in a barn with a dirt floor. The floor of the car is pretty much gone. License plate is from 1963 and the car has 80,000 miles. The interior is remarkably intact. The engine has clear clean oil in it but is stuck. The front wheels wont turn. It looks like the data plate is gone. Top of the cowl right hand side? Where is the vin located? I can weld, do body work, and paint but have never done a frame off. I might learn some new skills. Is there a source for 50 buick floor pans, rockers, and inner rockers? Best way to unstick the front wheels? I'm in Iowa so shipping a bumper from Ca might be cost prohibitive (unless you have a complete floor pan too). :) Thanks for the help. The car is a little rough but I want one bad enough to save it. dave

You are correct on data plate location. Mine is gone too. Vin should be in drivers door frame front side. I got a rocker from Classic to current Fabrication on the Web. Had to cut it down to size a bit. I got the bumper out of Texas. it cost me $95 with Grehound bus shipping I think didn't end up using it.

Phil

I believe the Bumper for all 1950 Buicks are the same. Although I also know that the Specials were a narrower car. So, one might figure the main bumper blades themselves might be narrower?

I'm looking for an NOS, or rechromed tooth #5 to complete my set of NOS teeth.

I have an extra NOS #2 and #8 to trade someone.

Here's what a BUICK MASTER CHASSIS PARTS BOOK says.....ONE SIZE fits all series for the 1950 Buicks re: front bumpers, rear bumpers, front bumper guards, rear bumper guards, upper grille bar (mustache), all 9 different teeth (front bumper grille bars) and gas tanks.

The 1950 BUICK gas tank is listed under GROUP #3.001, PART #1318728, and indicates that all 1951 and 1952 SUPERS(50 series) and ROADMASTERS (70 series) take the same gas tank.

The 1951 through 1953 BUICK SPECIALS (40 SERIES) gas tanks are listed under a different number, PART #1318727.

Al Mack

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Rob McDonald

Going back to the buck-tooth installation sequence - 4,2,0,8,7,6,1,3,5 - isn't that the firing order for a Fireball Eight? Hmm... now which is cylinder number 0?

• 1 month later...
Guest The Kruise Knight

Although the rear bumpers appear the same, they are not. The width is correct model to model the contour is different if viewed from the side. You have to look close but they are different.

Guest The Kruise Knight

I thought all 18 rear bumpers were the same until I cut one in half and joined the good ends together. The difference is slight but the two I joined together are different and is not noticeable until I point out. Now, the bumpers were obviously placed on these cars in 1950 and could have been changed with out years but I feel the difference is so slight it must be a 1950 bumper.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 years later...

The link to the correct sequence to assemble the 9 teeth in the bumper grill is still confusing.  Can someone please post the correct sequence; I'm assuming that the #1 tooth is the first tooth assembled while the #2 tooth is the 2nd and so on.  Thanks and best wishes to all, Daniel Statnekov

On 7/19/2011 at 6:53 AM, Leif Holmberg said:

Maybe this will help.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143138604353_thumb.jpg

This is confusing; someone suggested in another forum that they were trying to compose a jingle that would simplify the assembly, like the sequence of teeth set to the jingle "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work we go!"  but was unable to match the numbers to the rhyme and gave up in despair.  Someone else on that same forum thought perhaps the sequence matched the firing order of a Fireball Eight; I checked and it's just not so.  Another posted that drinking a beer might help (seriously) but I don't drink and even if I did I'm quite sure it wouldn't help.  Thanks for any help someone can offer.  Daniel K. Statnekov

Forget the numbers.  Put them all together (assuming you have them off the car.). Lay them down and put the tallest one in the middle.  Then they are handed, right to left.  They get shorter as you go out to the edge.  Then you will be able to see if they lean in or out.  They are mirror imaged or angled as the middle of the bumper comes forward. 

This way I think you can figure out which one goes where, even blindfolded.  Haven’t had mine off for a long time but thats what I noticed.  Each one is different but they are mirror imaged.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, retirednow said:

Pete Phillips put this in the Buick Bugle years ago w/ credit to Al Malachowski

IMG_4015.jpeg

▲  That published article is incorrect and was corrected in a later BUGLE. The correct numbering sequence is . . .

PASSENGER SIDE    420879135    DRIVER SIDE  

1-Scan-084.jpg.1f06a419edfadbd52797e51ebe96a27a.jpg

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1