Roadster vs Runabout, which is which?

Guest ken bogren

Guest ken bogren

Digging a little further into my vast ignorance of things automotive I've found another question I don't know the answer to.

What's the difference between a Runabout and a Roadster?

I have been happily cruising along thinking they were pretty much just different terms for the same style of early car, but now I'm wondering if I've missed some point along the way.

So, Roadster or Runabout, what makes a car one or the other?

I hate to muddle this question, but what about a Convertible Coupe?

i think it partial comes from teh manufacturers choice of model name. For example, I have a reprint of a 1932 Buick Booklet and it has the name, for Model 56C, a four passenger Convertible Coupe Roadster (which I believe means with rumble seat. The larger Model 66C uses the same name, There was no equivilant in the 80 Series, but 96C also has the same name. Just to confuse things, they made both a 2 door, 5 passeger Convertible Pheaton and 4 door 7 passenger Sport Pheatons. Modern logic sems to suggest the term "Sport" would be used for the more nimble shorter wheelbase cars, with only two doors. But, in fact, that was the name given to the larger cars.

John

Many of these body style names were the individual ideas of the marketing men from the various car makers. Usually a convertible coupe is one that has a fixed windshield and wind up windows where a roadster has a folding windshield and side curtains. The term runabout was seen more in the pre WW1 era when the cars were more basic and often did not even have a hood. Similar confusion exists between the terms 'touring' and 'phaeton'. I don't think there is a really hard and fast rule. Here in NZ the term 'tourer' applied to almost all open 4 door cars. Phaeton was a term usually used for the open bodies of expensive car. The only low price car that used the term phaeton was Ford (for the model A tourer).

Where the marmon is concerned, the Collapsible coupe has window frames and roll up windows in the doors, the Speedster (2 passenger) and roadster (4 passenger) do not. as far as a runabout they tend to be frame. running gear 2 seats and a tank.

I'm guessing each manufacturer had a different take. The SAE did have some formal definitions "back in the day" but there were taken as, at best, a general guide.

For Plymouth, a roadster or phaeton had side curtains while a convertible (coupe (two doors, single bench seat) or sedan (four doors, two rows of seats)) had roll up windows.

If it was a "sport" model (roadster, convertible coupe or coupe) then it had a rumble seat otherwise it had a trunk.

Generally a convertible has wind up windows in the doors, a roadster doesn't. A runabout is even more basic and may not have a top or doors.

There is no real hard and fast rule because no matter what, some manufacturer made an exception, or used the terms in different ways from everyone else.

Rusty O_Toole said:

"Generally a convertible has wind up windows in the doors, a roadster doesn't.

A runabout is even more basic and may not have a top or doors."

Agreed, plus a few.

A Convertible Coupe is two seat convertible with top that goes down.

If it's real expensive and has a door for golf clubs, it's a Gentleman's Coupe.

For Fords, a Sport Coupe looked like a convertible coupe, but the top didn't go down. (Had landau irons too). Ford also had a Special Coupe that had a vinyl roof of the steel top (America's first vinyl roof coupe 1929). They also had a Leatherback in 1928 (Leather covered roof on a Fordor without 1/4 windows behind the read doors)

These days people come by and tell me they have a Roadster just like my Fordor. What they mean is a street rod, like the L.A. Roadster Show which

hosts most cars whose tops don't go down. I guess it means whatever you want it to, but I like Rusty's definition.

Guest De Soto Frank

The term "run-about" is probably a bit older than "roadster"... another brass-era term for the same general body style was "torpedo".... all referring to an open car with seating within the body for two passengers, in the same row.

Some models featured a "mother-in-law" seat behind the two main seats, usually outside the body, not covered by the top( if there was one ). Some models had auxiliary seats that folded out of the side of the body, over the running board ( or were clamped to the running board ).... these are affectionately known as "suicide seats"... exposed "mother-in-law" seats were generally gone by 1915 or so.

A rear seat within the body "tub", revealed by opening the deck-lid , is generally known as a "rumble seat".

As noted by others, 2-seater open cars with roll-up glass windows are generally known as "convertible coupes".

Generally, the run-about or roadster was considered a "sporting model"... it was also usually the lowest-priced body style, and best performing due to the light weight, within a given model series.

The last of the true American-made roadsters would have been the Dodge Wayfarer Roadster of 1949: single row seating for three, and snap-in side curtains.

For most purposes, I would regard a "Runabout" and a "Roadster" are pretty much the same body style, though I would expect a "Runabout" to be a Brass or Nickel-era car...

I'm pretty sure Ford referred to it's Model T 2-seater rag top as a "Runabout" right to the end, in 1927. But the same body style in the new 1928 Model A was officially referred to as a "Roadster".

Then there all the variations invented by the marketing guys...

The original 260/289 Cobras were made in Great Britain by A.C. The 427 Cobra was assembled in the U.S., but A.C. still made the bodies/chassis and imported them as unpainted rolling chassis.

The Viper was a true roadster, available only with side curtains from 1993 to 1996, and still sold with side curtains (except for the hardtop Viper GTS) through 2002. The 2003 redesign finally gave the car roll-up windows accross the board.

"Roadster", "Runabout", and other overlapping terms can be found in the Dictionary of Automotive Terms ( Dictionary of Automotive Terms A-Z ). Interestingly "roadster" was originally an equestrian term. :)

Guest De Soto Frank

I stand corrected on the "last" American roadster...

Regarding the Kaiser Darrin - I thought they had roll-up windows ?

Guest De Soto Frank

I would take the "Dictionary of Automotive Terms A-Z" with a slight grain of salt, (at least with respect to older vehicles) although there is a LOT of info there....

Some omissions I noted were things like "Marsden nut", Fluid Drive ( although they do define "Fluid Coupling" and list the Buick Dynaflow as an example), "Coupe` pillar", and others... wonder if they accept contributions, like Wiki-pedia ?

In the meantime, I will be out measuring the cu. footage of the passenger area of my Model A Ford, to see if it meets the SAE standard for a "coupe" (33 cu ft or less)... ;)

Guest ken bogren

And then there were the Model T Commercial Roadster, and the Roadster Pickup which my copy of the Crestline 90 Years of Ford book refers to as the "Roadster Pickup, officially known as the Runabout With Pickup Bed".

And the Model A Roadster Pickup.

Generally a convertible has wind up windows in the doors, a roadster doesn't. A runabout is even more basic and may not have a top or doors.

There is no real hard and fast rule because no matter what, some manufacturer made an exception, or used the terms in different ways from everyone else.

I agree with Rusty on this.

Haajanen also did a book called the Illustrated Dictionary of Automobile Body Styles where he attempts at defining these terms. My experience, like many of yours is they have been interchanged by some people inclduing automotive writers and manufacturers. My Curved Dash, however, has never been called a roadster! Runabout it is...

Guest De Soto Frank
Was not the 1955 Corvette a true roadster and I don't think the top of a Model A roadster, also called an "Opencab Pickup" folded but could be removed, possibly making it the only vehicle, or one of a very few, with a fixed roof without roll-up windows.

Didn't the Vettes always have roll-up windows ?

And you are correct, Model A "roadster pick-up" tops did not fold-down.

Didn't the Vettes always have roll-up windows ?

And you are correct, Model A "roadster pick-up" tops did not fold-down.

The first couple/few years of Corvettes did not have roll up windows.

Just to muddy things, the Jag xk150s I had in my yout was a roadster because the top dissapeared under the tonneau when down as opposed to the drop head coupe which left the top exposed.

By that definition my '90 Reatta 'vert is a "roadster" since it has two seats, the top disappears into the trunk, and "roll-up" windows were not available. It also has room for golf clubs in the trunk, does that make it a "Sport Roadster" ?

Guest De Soto Frank

By that definition my '90 Reatta 'vert is a "roadster" since it has two seats, the top disappears into the trunk, and "roll-up" windows were not available. It also has room for golf clubs in the trunk, does that make it a "Sport Roadster" ?

RE: "Roll-up windows" - if you mean your Reatta has power windows instead of crank-ups, that still qualifies as "roll-up windows" for the purposes of this discussion: permanent glass side windows that disappear into the doors, as opposed to soft side-curtains or snap-in plexi panels...

As for the disappearing top, you might get by on that, although purists would contend that true roadsters have a folding fabric top...

As for the Jag.... now you've REALLY gone and done it: now we're going to have to deal with "tonneau" ! ;):rolleyes:

Just to muddy things, the Jag xk150s I had in my yout was a roadster because the top dissapeared under the tonneau when down as opposed to the drop head coupe which left the top exposed.

The drophead Jaguar has a tonneau cover as well. In fact I believe all the drophead British cars had them, including my Triumphs. There may well be one, but I'm not aware of any car with a convertible top that doesn't have some form of cover for it when it's rolled down.

The difference between a drophead (convertible) and a roadster (in the British sports car world) is that the soft top is permanently attached in a convertible or drophead to the frame and/or body. It can be held in with glue, tacks, clips. screws, rivets,etc., but it is never removed from the car. In the roadster the fabric top is separate from the body and frame, and is snapped into place over an erected frame. When you take the top down, you fold the fabric up and stow it and not just fold and cover it up along with it's frame.

My '41 Caddy convertible coupe is also a "CABRIOLET"

Just another term to add into the mix. I think this is a sport convertible without rear side/quarter windows. Just canvas behind the driver/passenger doors.

Was not the 1955 Corvette a true roadster and I don't think the top of a Model A roadster, also called an "Opencab Pickup" folded but could be removed, possibly making it the only vehicle, or one of a very few, with a fixed roof without roll-up windows.

Only the 30-31 roadster pickup's top can be removed. It has grommets along the bottom and turnbuckles on the body. The bottom of the 28-29 is tacked inside hide-em.

As far as I can find, no side windows for the Kaiser Darrin, Maybe side curtains but no hardtops, no windows, just the wind beaters on the windshield frame. I totally forgot about the Viper Roadster, does anybody remember the Prototype Copperhead that came about the same time as the Viper, four cylinder sports car in Roadster dress, looked like an old Lotus, just wide enough for two seats.

OK perhaps "tonneau" was the wrong term because in my Jag, the whole top assembly was hinged but fit under the rear cowling (?), a fixed metal body structure between the rear of the seats and the trunk lid.

OTOH for the Reatta and Allante "tonneau" is correct since the hard cover is hinged. For all of the above the top disappears completely into the body as opposed to a DHC or Cabriolet where it may have a (soft) cover but does not disappear completely.

Also as opposed to a Roadster (two seats) then a DHC, cabriolet, or convertible may also have four doors or seats as opposed to a convertible coupe which can only have two doors but may have front and rear enclosed seats.

I suppose that made my MGA a roaster by the other definition - removable side curtains and a top you could leave in the garage since everything was detachable.

Coming full circle then all of the above have tops and windows of some sort of another while a "runabout" needs none of the above. The Ariel Atom and most ATVs come to mind as being "runabouts". This leaves just one issue which really has only existed for a relatively brief time: do any of the above need to be streel legal ? YWTK.

None of whilch relates to a "sports car" for which I always like Tom McCahill's definition of a car you could drive during the week and race successfully on the weekend.

Actually a 150 Jag "Roadster" is a bit different. The top does come lose from the back of the car but isn't actually removed but rather folded, along with its permanently attached irons, into a well that is then covered buy a small folding "tonneau". The 150 "Roadster" does in fact have roll up windows. The "Drophead" is a true "Convertible" in that it has roll up windows and the top is not removable but rather sits on the rear of the car like a load of laundry when the top in down.