What did you do to your classic today?

Guest Guest

I bought a kit and its fits ok but the motor is up against the firewall and could stand to be a out a little,I have since found out there are some factory motor mounts that will work. The oil pressure was good but the upper end is a little noisey for a rebuilt motor so I am guessing cheap lifters or possibly used rocker arms and push rods,the builder stuck in a cam that starts coming in at 2000 to 2500 rpms after I told him I wanted a low rpm torque cam so it looks like I will be installing another cam this summer with all new rocker arms and pushrods to get my by untill I get a chance to rebuild the 292 I picked up. If I had to do it over I would have kept the original 272 and bored it out to a 292 and replaced the FOM with a FMX trans and put in 3.00 gears instead of the 3.30s it originally had since the FMX starts out in 1st where the FOM starts out in 2nd..

80 Daytime - 60 overnight and crystal clear skies

Saturday Night in SE Louisiana - Drove the 1954 Caddy convertible to our Monthly Cruise Night for St. Bernard Chapter of Louisiana Region AACA - top down, of course - Full Moon, lots of friends, great burgers and Barq's root beer, our chapter president, Johnnie Waguespack is a fantastic DJ with an amazing collection of '50s and '60s tunes - plenty of dancin' right there in the parking lot.

Next weekend on Sunday four clubs will do a tour up the River Road to Hymel's Restaurant in Convent, LA for a fantastic seafood lunch, and then a visit to Houmas House Plantation and Gardens in Burnside,LA. Folks will be driving in from 130 miles away in Lafayette, LA, and over from Mississippi to join us for this one - hope the weather stays great.

The big Caddy is driving "just like a Cadillac", and is ready for Founders Tour next month.

post-54863-143138485469_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138485477_thumb.jpg

Fabulous day on Lone Oak Farm. Washed the truck and trailer (needed it desperately), Three 1927 marmons and the 34 chevy master. Cleaned up yesterdays exhaust welding project and drove the E-75 and the Chevy five miles down the road to the gas station for Spring fill up. And snapped some pics.

post-59076-143138485486_thumb.jpg

Sanded, primed, and painted a section of the '70 Bug's right rear fender that had been chipping due to some (evidently questionable) previous owner bodywork. Came out decent--as long as you don't look too close! The balmy weather on Friday around here in Southern New England was conducive to doing the work, and the forecast ahead of time got me to get myself prepared so that I could finish up with the paint (before it got too windy out in the afternoon, that is).

Should be an interesting challenge color-sanding & polishing that fender next to see if I can blend-in (at least somewhat) the repair area to the original paint...

Yesterday (Saturday) I went to the local garage to pick up my five original wheels from the car, that I had stripped of the crappy tires (save for the spare, which was decent, and so I kept it). Here's smooth collie Angelo checking out the scene, when I got the wheels (& tire) back from the garage:

70Whls19Mar11AngeloEtcR.JPG

Next stop for those wheels, the local sandblaster guy...

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Yesterday, I went to alocal Mustang show. Beautiful day, temps in low 80s. They had around 100 Mustangs. Nice assortment of new and old. Spent most of the juding and spending time with long time friends. Also, made several new friends. Overall, a great day.

Kevin

Guest cashrc

Hi ya'll, new member here...drove my 61 Studebaker Hawk to work today...pics uploaded are from last year..

Cash Hargett

post-74484-143138490419_thumb.jpg

post-74484-143138490423_thumb.jpg

Guest billybird

I began detailing mine for the Charlotte National Meet. Charlotte has been an annual mecca for many years for me.

Color-sanded & polished right front fender and right front quarter panel on the '70 Bug yesterday, and then laboriously fit new piece of fender beading and cinched up the fender.

Today I got left front fender beading also trimmed & installed, then reassembled front bumper and fitted it also. This "putting it back together" stuff is good for the soul. I have more color sanding and polishing to do on the right side of the car, and the right rear fender, still, though.

Too chilly to prime the sandblasted wheels that I picked up from my friendly local sandblaster guy on Friday after work. Have to look at the forecast for next possibly suitable day to get that done...

Guest greg walsh

While I was torquing the intake on my son's Mustang motor we're[ I'm] building. I broke off a bolt going into the head. I tried removing it with an easy-out with no luck, broke that off as well. I'll drop off the head at the machine shop tomorrow after work.

Despite the cold, it was dry, so I started the '09 Mustang Convertible and moved it out of the garage so I could get to the '71 Buick and '72 LTD. The Mustang has been sitting since early January and started right up. Had to crank and pump the Buick and the LTD but after 10-15 seconds, they both started. I wanted to get into the LTD to get the registration out of the glove box as it expired in January. I let the LTD warm up in the garage but drove the Buick to a friend's to give him the info on our Hershey motel reservations. Seemed good to have her out even for a short time. Came home and packed them all away for another month or so.

Edited by John_Maine (see edit history)

Took my '35 Ford (not a classic) to our region's swap meet yesterday. Put her in the Car Corral for sale. Lots of lookers and finally after lunch, a fellow and his wife were excited about buying my Ford. I drove him down the road, then let he and his wife take a drive. He wrote me a deposit check (my mistake) for the car, which I was to deliver Monday afternoon. Saturday evening he called me and said that he had changed his mind. He told me to just tear up the check. Guess I'll frame it as a reminder for the next buyer that comes along. ;)

Wayne

I removed the body from the Chandler and started cleaning up and prepping the chassis for painting.

The engine rebuild (all new babbit bearings, valves, reconditioned cylinders and pistons, new rings, new oil system, rebuilt water pump, etc.) should be done soon.

I will sand and repaint the body myself, using the same spray gun that my grandfather sprayed the car with in 1956.

It was an "all Crosley weekend" for me. I spent a large part of the day Saturday sanding the prime coat of the Farm O Road that was painted Saturday evening. (I plan on beginning reassembly tonight ) and then loaded the Hotshot on the trailer for Charlotte. Sunday I worked with another club member on the Crosley Club raffle car for the 2012 Ontelaunee Region Awkscht Fescht. We put the motor in (and attached it to the clutch and trans), put in the exhaust system, put in the radiator, put the hood on, hung the doors, put the wheels and tires on, and attached the upper and lower tailgate. I put all the parts needed for reassembly of the Farm o Road in my truck for the trip to the paint shop tonite. Then I took the Hotshot back out of the trailer, fired it up and went for a drive, came back and installed a couple of snaps in the top. Finally I worked on a couple of gauges for the Farm O Road making them a little better than they were. Finally, I put the Hotshot back in the trailer and strapped it down for the trip to Charlotte. Was asleep on the couch by 8:30!!!!

Guest De Soto Frank

Nothing exciting for me, just drove the '28 Ford to work...

Can't wait till enough grit is gone from our roads to get my Rambler out of hibernation...

I pulled the 1957 Buick in the garage and started on replacing the windows on the car. Pulled the door panel off the Driver's side and removed the vent window assembly along with the door window. Pulled the frames from the door (2 door sedan vehicle), cleaned all the old weatherstrip adhesive off (3M adhesive and wax remover works great!), wire bushed the rusty areas, coated them with rust converter (Eastwood), and sanded the parts to get them ready for paint.

Buffed the vent window stainless trim, wire brushed some bolts clean and derusted, cold galvanized and painted the door glass window channel. All in all a good day in the shop!

Guest maudsley

I stood staring at my truck gas pedle linkage for about a 1/2 hour, wondering how to get it back together. As well as wondering about a couple other things in the same neighborhood.

Almost ready to call the Calvary. So, I painted the bumper.

Guest longman

I cursed myself for a big part of the day, for being an idiot. I was cleaning down the engine of the Whippet, getting ready to install a new starter motor, when I noticed the gearbox grease tube (a little 5" long tube that extends from the inner gearbox up through an inspection plate and through the floor to allow grease to be pumped into the gears) was not centred properly. So, I figure as it just screws in, I'll screw it half a turn to centre it. Surely enough, it pops off and falls into the bell housing. I don't know how many of you are familiar with this model, but the flywheel, clutch assembly and big clutch spring fill most of the housing. I spent an hour with a magnetic flexi tool but could not get it out. Another 2 hours later, after disassembling the drive line and removing the gearbox, I got it out. I have now designated it a no-touch zone.

The starter motor took 5 mins to fit by the way! I'm just glad the body is not on it yet.

Weekend wrap-up: Finished color sanding. Installed last piece of fender beading. Assembled and installed rear bumper. Took some overall pictures--here's one:

70VW3Apr11LftFrt1k.JPG

Car still needs a good cleaning, but happy to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes, I know, the car needs a new top (ref. duct tape repair at front left edge)...

And yes, I also realize that those are not stock wheels & tires. I did order proper new tires today for the refinished stock wheels...

I took off the driver's door, disassembled it for some edge cleaning / blasting and started cleaning and re-finishing the components. Figure I will do one door at a time to get ready for paint. Cleaned off the old weatherstripping cement...what a nightmare of a job. There is not any good combination of toxic chemicals that will do the job easily. Any suggestions?

Guest djohn81641

I had remote power door locks installed and I love them. Car locks when I start it, so I don't have to remember to lock the doors, and I can unlock the passenger side without having to reach over. Couldn't do the trunk as it does not have a rod release. Oh well, can't have everything.

Edited by djohn81641 (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby
I took off the driver's door, disassembled it for some edge cleaning / blasting and started cleaning and re-finishing the components. Figure I will do one door at a time to get ready for paint. Cleaned off the old weatherstripping cement...what a nightmare of a job. There is not any good combination of toxic chemicals that will do the job easily. Any suggestions?

Yes, "3 M" sells a product that removes the old glue. Let it sit for a bit, and its no too bad.

Installed refinished stock wheels with new ww tires onto the car, and then took it out for a ride! Here's Guilford Harbor yesterday afternoon (pay no attention to the "no parking any time" sign); you can tell it's early in the season, since there are no boats!

70Drive9Apr11GlfrdDockR.JPG

Edited by stock_steve
Trying to get image to display properly... (see edit history)

I am starting to build me another daily driver and its almost a classic (1988) but its not staying the way it came from the factory,I bought me a 88 bronco with front differential issues so its going to get converted to 2wd and get lowered. It does not snow enough around here to need 4 wheel drive and definately no where to go off roading so I am going to use it like a station wagon and keep it on the road.

Adjusted the parking brake on my "new" 1930 Plymouth 30U. Thought it was working okay, but then it started slowly rolling down my driveway yesterday. Ordered a new choke knob label to replace the missing original. Prepped a hubcap for repainting. It's the details that count...

Just got done filing the tips of the extra set of rocker arms for my 37 Chevy p/u,I did nothing to the ones on the motor when I rebuilt it and can never keep them adjusted,was afraid to grind them and generate heat and ruin the hardening so I took a sharpening stone and some oil and went after them. It took me a couple hours but I got the tips smooth and now I am thinking about new shafts before installation,was going to have them rebuilt but at around 300 dollars I think I will try top fix them myself and save some money.