1950 76-R to be back on the road soon...

Pete Phillips

Check back on this spot in a few weeks. After long last, my 1950 Roadmaster is within a couple of days of getting repainted after languishing in primer in my garage the past 5-6 years since I bought it that way. I took this photo of it today. My years of saving and salvaging extra fenders and splash shields and other parts for a 1950 70-series have finally paid off. Bumpers and grille bar have been replated a couple of years ago and are ready to go on as soon as the paint is dry. Maybe, just maybe, this gem will make an appearance at the April Buick meet in Salado, Texas this year.

I saw the hood and trunk lid today--they have already been painted and the green looks good.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

1949 model 59

1950 model 76-R

1959 Electra 2-dr. ht.

1962 Electra 225 4-dr. ht.

1963 Wildcat conv.

post-32059-143138419609_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

JEEZ, that looks just like the embarrassing paper bonnet they make you wear, as they roll you into surgery. Let's hope the patient comes out of it, just the right shade of green.

Roof is now painted. I opted for the 1950 shade of pale green for the roof, knowing the color combination was not offered in 1950, but it is a 1950 color. A whole Roadmonster of Kashmir green was too much!

Pete, interestingly, I checked out a beautiful 1950 Roadmaster 76R for sale in Eugene, Oregon back in 1976. Its color combination was the exact flip-flop of your car, with the pale green body and Kashmir green roof.

Another beauty that got away!

Guest my3buicks

Looks great Pete - I knew of a 4 door 50 Roadmaster that was an original car that was the same combo as yours - maybe a special order?

Pete, you are Da-Man! Few things are more exciting than looking at your car in primer knowing it will be topcoated in a few short hours. And that 50 looks superb! Are you sure you even want to buff that hood?

Pee, I looks great and now there might be 2 Kashmier Green cars at Salado.

The color grows on you and the nice thing about it is, its a one year only late 50 paint color. I have never seen another.

I really like to roof that you did too. Are you going to do the firewall ?

Guest Rob McDonald

Great colours! That Kashmir is such a rich green shade - it must have really stood out back then, just as it does now. Trivia moment - was 1950 the last year for the Grand Piano hood? That's got to be convenient when working on the engine: open this side, open the other side or lift it right off (with help).

Guest my3buicks

Derek, the Specials opened like the Super and Roadmaster in 53. You have to be SO care opening and closing the 53's hoods. They are prone to chip the paint at the corners of the hood and the body where the corners met the body.

Front end taking shape...hoisting that grille/front bumper assembly into place by yourself in a VERY COLD garage is not something I recommend, but that beats doing it outside in 10 degree weather with six inches of snow & ice on the ground. Center grille tooth is out at the dentist for surgery & replating.

Pete

post-32059-143138446114_thumb.jpg

Pete, I thought you were from up nawth...cold and Texas just don't go together...:rolleyes::D;)

At least if you are having issues with temperature, it probably helps y'all to understand why I need to get small restoration projects out of the garage and into the house by October / November if I want to make any progress

Good to see it taking shape.

• 1 month later...
Front end taking shape...hoisting that grille/front bumper assembly into place by yourself in a VERY COLD garage is not something I recommend, but that beats doing it outside in 10 degree weather with six inches of snow & ice on the ground. Center grille tooth is out at the dentist for surgery & replating.

Pete

So Pete, did you get that tooth back from the dentist? Guess you must be getting close to driving time.

I sympathize on that front bumper - mine was twisted and had to be repaired, must have had it on and off 20 times to get it right - no need to push weights in a Gym when you're doing that!!

The 50 is looking terrific and we are anxious for some more photos.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

FINALLY had more time to work on my '50 Roadmaster hardtop yesterday. I got the rear bumper, tail lights, and trim put on. Still hoping to make the Salado, Texas meet in April. The next big step on this car will be installing the new hydraulic cylinder for the power seat, then to see if the hydro-electric system will work and operate the windows.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX 75452

post-32059-14313887039_thumb.jpg

Derek, the Specials opened like the Super and Roadmaster in 53. You have to be SO care opening and closing the 53's hoods. They are prone to chip the paint at the corners of the hood and the body where the corners met the body.

'55 is the same. One must take great care opening and closing..........