Louisville Meet

Guest Corvette Bill

Guest Corvette Bill

I just got back from Louisville at 4:45 pm Sunday left 4:45 am it is a long trip (12 hrs) but was worth every minute, everyone involved did a great job the number of people at the banquete and the awards was unbelivable. So many nice cars and seeing the Dixie Flyer after following it on the Fourm was great.

Bill

We are all staggering from a a staggering meet! It was incredible from top to bottom but the car show on Saturday was breathtaking. Joe Gagliano and George Fackler ably led this event that was three years in the making. The region members, national staff and the board all did there jobs and it showed. If you did not enjoy this meet you must have been asleep for several days!:D

Great job everyone including the car owners! As far as I am concerned this ranks up with the best car related event I have ever been to and i have been to a lot (old age accounts for something).

Thanks everyone.

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

From your post Steve, it appears to have been a truly fantastic event.

Congratulations to all involved with putting the event on and to all those that attended.

Steve, I was wondering if, by chance, someone will be producing a DVD about the event?

I know in the past something like that was done for some of the Fall Hershey Meets.

For those of us AACA Members that were unable to attend something like that might be nice to be able to purchase.

For those that were able to attend, it might be a very nice video to add to their actual memories of the event.

I hope everyone who attended this event arrives back home safe and sound.

Charlie...I am not aware of any plans for a DVD. It would have been a nice touch but we already had our plates full.

Thanks Steve.

Totally understand about having full plates. Just thought I would ask.

Once attendees get home and post their photos I have no doubt as to how I will spend some of my free time. :D

We are all staggering from a a staggering meet! It was incredible from top to bottom but the car show on Saturday was breathtaking. Joe Gagliano and George Fackler ably led this event that was three years in the making. The region members, national staff and the board all did there jobs and it showed. If you did not enjoy this meet you must have been asleep for several days!

Great job everyone including the car owners! As far as I am concerned this ranks up with the best car related event I have ever been to and i have been to a lot (old age accounts for something).

Thanks everyone.

Yup I agree, it was a great event. I'm glad that we went. We saw a lot of good things, and the lights in the expo center made the cars glow.

From a personal standpoint, my mom has never gone to the meets. The very first one that she went to was Melborne in 2008. My parents were 'snowbirding' in Pinellas Park when I came to bring a car to Art Griffin's dual meet. I think because I was down there, she decided to go along rather than stay home. Because of the many comments she'd heard about New Bern, she went along to New Bern and had a ball. Being that I was running short on help, she agreed to take care of the hospitality area at our meet in Canandaigua, and she had a good time. During this time, the Devine's stayed with them while they were in town, and they hit it off very well. She decided to go to Louisville, and had a ball. She commented on the way home at the number of nice people she's met, and at the number of people that she's gotten to know in a short time. I think she's hooked.;););)

We normally don't travel that far to a meet unless it's a Grand National, so this was an exception, but with the spring meet being so close to home, we really didn't travel much farther than we normally do under a given year.

As for Steve's old age, I won't say anymore.....:D:D:D

The last time I did, I got 'the eye' from Steve.

Ted, the timing did mean that I had to leave before the awards ceremony and drive 11 hours, get a few hours sleep, and then go to a 4th of July event that I could not miss, but it was worth it.

Sorry you couldn't make it. It was a once in a lifetime event (unless I am around for the 100th Anniversary Meet.... it could happen, I will be 74 then). Words cannot adequately describe the event. I really have to get some photos posted soon!

This was the first meet in which we participated, other than as a spectator. We have always been Tour People.

We arrived with no expectation, other than to become an apprentice Judge, and to display our Packard, believing it was not up to "show-standards".

Al Terek is a fantastic teacher, and conducted himself in a manner which makes me want to learn much more about the judging/team-process.

our 1930 Packard was awarded her 1st Place Junior - and I was delighted beyond belief, as you can see from Wayne Burgess' photos.

Thank-you simply is not adequate for the outstanding job:

Joe Gagliano

George Fackler

Steve Moskowitz

Herb Oakes

Joe Vicini

Terry Bond

Heck, I could go on and on -- so many folks - and especially their wives - the effort never ended !

The combination of Tour-buddies and Show-folks at a single event???---Fantastic !!

The end result was a MILESTONE EVENT, well-managed and well-executed.

Thanks to all from a very appreciative participant

We had a great time. I was able to get Dad and Mom out for a nice trip. Met Marty, Susan, Bill, and talked to the Thorpe clan. Every person we ran into were a joy to speak to. Thought the chapter did a great job handling a huge event. The level of work it must take is beyond my dreams.

Thought the indoor venue was super. I've had vehicles at indoor events before and never had one go so smooth.

Enjoyed our self invented and guided tours with the help and advise from the Chamber rep. Would go back to town in a moment just to walk through the Joe Ley antique shop again.

Came home with an HPOF too.

Thanks to all that made the effort a success.

We had a great time. I was able to get Dad and Mom out for a nice trip. Met Marty, Susan, Bill, and talked to the Thorpe clan.
It was good to talk to you too Mark. I hadn't seen you since Metropolis in 2003. That was when our woodie won its' First Junior, and you and your dad won a First Junior with your Diamond 'T' milk truck.

Our Plymouth pickup won its' 10 Preservation Award, and it was the 50th award won with our collection of 8 different vehicles. Do accomplish that in 9 years, and be able to reach that milestone at the 75th anniversary meet is something to cherish.

From the standpoint of a Meet Chairman, it's nice not to have to take any time to plan a meet, and just enjoy the cars. It's been a long time since I was at a meet where I wasn't doing something to plan for ours. There are some things that they did better than we did, and there are some things that we did better than they did.

But after being in the role of a meet chairman, I appreciate their efforts.

Bill and I had a great time. We got to meet some new folks this time, Marty and Dale Roth, Steve Heald and his wife, TG57Roadmaster and Mark. Caught up with Wayne, Pat Thorpe and his mom and dad, Bookreader and her husband John and their daughter Brenda and her husband David, David and Ron Devine and Matt Hinson.

I was very pleased to see an EMT/EMS walking around the show area in the event someone needed his services. Hopefully that was not that case, but after one of my judges hurt his finger closing the trunk of his car it I have felt it would be a good idea to have someone available on site for minor mishaps.

I hope the printable list helped you find folks you wanted to meet and helped others connect with you. I did use the list to find folks and their vehicles.

Edited by Shop Rat
Sorry Matt, I was VERY tired when I posted this and forgot to put your name. (see edit history)

Don't forget, We even had a small DF'er meeting in the judge's breakfast line!

Very small! :)

I wore my DFer button on and off all weekend. No one ever asked me what it was or why I was wearing it. I think we still have a visibility problem within the AACA membership.

I was thinking about this on the way home Sunday. I will probably get some "AACA.ORG" decals made up for my trailers and a couple of my cars. If nothing else we may be able to drum up a few new members.

Wayne

Guest jgferris

This was my first AACA National Meet and I have to say, I am in awe of the vehicles I saw. I have never seen so many wonderful vehicles under one roof. The meet was well organized and professionally run - my compliments. After the 300 mile drive there, it was well worth it. Now, if we can get another National meet within driving distance to Northern Alabama, I will gladly go for my Senior. Thanks to all involved in the operation of this meet. Well Done!

Very small! :)

I wore my DFer button on and off all weekend. No one ever asked me what it was or why I was wearing it. I think we still have a visibility problem within the AACA membership.

I was thinking about this on the way home Sunday. I will probably get some "AACA.ORG" decals made up for my trailers and a couple of my cars. If nothing else we may be able to drum up a few new members.

Wayne

You are correct Wayne. I can't tell you how many folks that I have talked to about not only the forums, but the main AACA web site and they were not aware of either one. Sadly it is the best kept non secret of the organization. We really need to get the word out better.

Ditto on the "secret" Forums and website Susan, and thanks for looking me up on show day.

(Thanks also for hooking me up with your friend who had the recent hip surgery, too;

our chat made me feel better about the process I'll undergo next month right after Blacksburg).

I'm sure that all would agree that a few words of appreciation are in order for you, our own

ShopRat, for keeping us in the loop with your list of DF'er attendees (I did print it out),

and for taking time to find us. I know you didn't do it for credit, but thanks, just the same.

On to Blacksburg!

TG

You are correct Wayne. I can't tell you how many folks that I have talked to about not only the forums, but the main AACA web site and they were not aware of either one. Sadly it is the best kept non secret of the organization. We really need to get the word out better.
I tried to raise awareness of the forum when I chaired the meet in Canandaigua. With almost 12,000 hits, I must've done something right.

Ditto on the "secret" Forums and website Susan, and thanks for looking me up on show day.

(Thanks also for hooking me up with your friend who had the recent hip surgery, too;

our chat made me feel better about the process I'll undergo next month right after Blacksburg).

I'm sure that all would agree that a few words of appreciation are in order for you, our own

ShopRat, for keeping us in the loop with your list of DF'er attendees (I did print it out),

and for taking time to find us. I know you didn't do it for credit, but thanks, just the same.

On to Blacksburg!

TG

You are very, very welcome on all counts. I couldn't believe my luck at running into Pat Locke right after I had talked to you about your upcoming hip surgery. There just isn't much better than talking to someone that has gone through the surgery not once but twice and can share what to expect.

As for the list my hope is to make it easier for folks to find each other that would like to. :)

Hope to see you in Blacksburg, we will be there.

You know there are ways to increase awareness of the AACA Web Site and Forums. Maybe AACA National will consider some of the following suggestions and make a conscious effort to get the URLs for the web site and forums out there.

When it comes time to reorder various AACA items put the website and/or forums address on them:

- ALL Trailer Decals & Signs

- Any new AACA Metal signs (the 75th sign would have been IDEAL for this)

- AACA Tshirts

- ALL AACA National printed posters, advertising, letterhead, envelopes, business cards, etc.

- ALL AACA Regions should have the Region's website address on their letterhead, envelopes, business cards, etc.

- Any Regions hosting Meets should have the Region's website address printed on the posters, advertising, event T-Shirts, etc. If space permits the AACA National web site should also be printed on all Meet materials. If the region does not have a web site then the AACA National web site should be printed on these items.

Please realize that I am not suggesting that current inventories of items be disposed of and new items printed. I am saying that when an item has to be reordered (or a new item is created) simply ADD the web site address to that item.

What about a periodic article in the AACA Magazine or better yet an on going column? Feature different aspects of the AACA web site or forums for this article/column. These articles/column could also spotlight the web sites of the various regions & chapters.

There is SO MUCH that could be done to get the word out about the AACA National and or Region/Chapter web sites. All it will take is the willingness and commitment on the part of AACA Officers and Executives to do so.

Once the word has gotten out about the AACA National web site & forums, then National really needs to be thinking about making these sites more "mobile computing friendly". With the EXPLODING market in "smartphones" (ie iPhones & Android phones) at some point these sites should be redesigned so that they take advantage of what these devices can do. If the AACA ever hopes to recruit younger members they have to reach out to those potential members using these new electronic media devices and their web sites and forums.

You know there are ways to increase awareness of the AACA Web Site and Forums. Maybe AACA National will consider some of the following suggestions and make a conscious effort to get the URLs for the web site and forums out there.

When it comes time to reorder various AACA items put the website and/or forums address on them:

- ALL Trailer Decals & Signs

- Any new AACA Metal signs (the 75th sign would have been IDEAL for this)

- AACA Tshirts

- ALL AACA National printed posters, advertising, letterhead, envelopes, business cards, etc.

- ALL AACA Regions should have the Region's website address on their letterhead, envelopes, business cards, etc.

- Any Regions hosting Meets should have the Region's website address printed on the posters, advertising, event T-Shirts, etc. If space permits the AACA National web site should also be printed on all Meet materials. If the region does not have a web site then the AACA National web site should be printed on these items.

Please realize that I am not suggesting that current inventories of items be disposed of and new items printed. I am saying that when an item has to be reordered (or a new item is created) simply ADD the web site address to that item.

What about a periodic article in the AACA Magazine or better yet an on going column? Feature different aspects of the AACA web site or forums for this article/column. These articles/column could also spotlight the web sites of the various regions & chapters.

There is SO MUCH that could be done to get the word out about the AACA National and or Region/Chapter web sites. All it will take is the willingness and commitment on the part of AACA Officers and Executives to do so.

Once the word has gotten out about the AACA National web site & forums, then National really needs to be thinking about making these sites more "mobile computing friendly". With the EXPLODING market in "smartphones" (ie iPhones & Android phones) at some point these sites should be redesigned so that they take advantage of what these devices can do. If the AACA ever hopes to recruit younger members they have to reach out to those potential members using these new electronic media devices and their web sites and forums.

Excellent ideas, all, Charlie. I will pass these along...

Wayne

Guest Art Griffin

Our monthly newsletters, any meet and show flyers, and our club stationery all have our region website listed. (Car Clubs at Hemmings Motor News)

As I mentioned to Wayne Burgess and to Pat Thorpe, as we get a little closer to our National Winter Meet in 2012, we will make continuous use of the AACA Forum. Pat Thorpe showed how important a communication tool it really is.

Thanks to everyone for your great ideas in this area.

Art Griffin

Cape Canaveral Region

PS. I plan to revise our writeup on Hosting a National Meet to include the use of the AACA Forum.

Guest Art Griffin

By the way, as I mentioned to several of you at the Awards Ceremony, the Cape Canaveral Region was fortunate enough to have 21 members present at Louisville (includes husbands and wives). It is a two day drive from our area. But we had only 3 vehicles from the Region in the show on Saturday.

Art

By the way, as I mentioned to several of you at the Awards Ceremony, the Cape Canaveral Region was fortunate enough to have 21 members present at Louisville (includes husbands and wives).

Art

I think Art told me this at least twice, if not three times. You think he was rubbing it in since Earl and me were the only ones from the Northern Neck Region of Virginia??:confused:

No, Art's not that type of fellow. :D

We had lots of fun with you and Arlene this past weekend Art. Working the Library/Museum/Membership Booths can be a rewarding experience for everyone.

Wayne

LOUISIANA REGION WELL REPRESENTED !!!

If I counted correctly, Louisiana Region AACA had at least twenty five (25) members present at the 75th Anniversary Meet in Louisville.

Guest Bookreader

Since bragging seems to be in evidence; I have the count on the Buzzard's Breath Touring Region attendance and we had 107 members at Louisville.

Many, many of our members DROVE their cars in to this celebration and all around the areas to Bowling Green to Cathedral Gardens plus the regular planned venues and then put their cars in the show. We love to tour as our Region's name states and this time the event featured touring so we were all smiles.

One evening when our family was in Louisville for dinner we stood on the corner and watched many of our cars from the event driving the streets of Louisville and being enjoyed by the locals and other tourists. Great fun to see brass era cars driving along the waterfront and some Model A's tooting their horns in recognition of fellow antique car folk. What a week it was! What a memory was made!

Tidewater Region also had at least 25 members attending, 45 if you count navigators! Yes, we had a great tour from "Saltwater to Firewater" that included its share of adventures, great scenery, plenty of old cars, great friends, and superb eats along the way. It was a fantastic celebration and a highlight in AACAs history.

post-30751-143138251162_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138251179_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138251195_thumb.jpg

post-30751-14313825121_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138251227_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to get the word out, we picked up a pair of glasses at the Expo Center that were left there after one of the activities. If you or any of your members lost a pair of glasses please have them contact me, help get the word out.

Thanks JOE

If you missed out on the AACA National 75th t-shirts (the blue, green and maroon ones) they are back in stock! A new color has been added, light gray, and they should be on the web in the next 24 hours. You can also call here and order directly 7171-534-1910 Thanks...75th golf shirts due in soon as well