On the prowl for a Buick daily driver.

Dandy Dave

Sold my van and I am on the prowel for a Buick. Looking at several mid 90's models with a 3.1 engine. Is this a good and reilable engine? I have seen posts where the 3.4L 3400 is nearly indestructable. I have not heard much about the 3.1. though. Tell me what you think folks? :D Also, If you know of any rust free and reliable Daily Drivers for sale around my neck of the woods, NY, Mass, Conn Tri state area, drop me a line. Thanks, Dandy Dave!

Sold my van and I am on the prowel for a Buick. Looking at several mid 90's models with a 3.1 engine. Is this a good and reilable engine? I have seen posts where the 3.4L 3400 is nearly indestructable. I have not heard much about the 3.1. though. Tell me what you think folks? :D Also, If you know of any rust free and reliable Daily Drivers for sale around my neck of the woods, NY, Mass, Conn Tri state area, drop me a line. Thanks, Dandy Dave!

NO, not 3.1 or 3.4, you want a 3.8!!

I would suggest a 92-93 Rivi...but what with your good looks and all I really don't think you could handle a sexy car too........I can see the headlines now

"MAN IN SPEEDO'S DRIVING BUICK RIVIERA MOBBED BY THOUSANDS OF YOUNG BEAUTIFUL GIRLS"

:D

Oh Baby. Your too funny...LOL :D...:D... But I can't help it when it's true. :cool: Dandy Dave!

The 3.1L was in the Century (when it was reintroduced as the "Bargain Buick under $20K", whereas the 3.8 came in the similar Regal LS models, with the Regal GS getting the 3800SC V-6. The 3.4L came later, but was usually in Impalas rather than Buicks. The 3.1L and the 3.4L pushrod V-6s are of the Chevrolet (aka "Chevy") 60 degree V-6 heritage. Both are good, solid engines that will give good service and have great durability . . . by observation. Just as with the Buick 3800s, there were some issues with coolant leaks from the intake manifold/air intake area on particular model years.

Also, from my own observations with many rental cars of that era (Centurys and Regal LSs), in some cases, it's hard to tell what's under the hood by performance. I know, the Buick 3800 should be obvious, but sometimes it wasn't. Later model 3800s did definitely have more guts than the 3.1L did, though. In normal driving, it can be a toss-up. But if you turn that corner and nail it (and the front tires light up and stay lit for a while), then you'll find out which one's under there.

The '97+ Regals and Centurys are "out there", with some nice ones at low prices. A plus for the Century would be the 15" tire sizes (meaning more inexpensive replacement costs), yet the P225/60R-16 size on the Regals seemed to become a "standard" tire size for many vehicles that many different companies build different types of tires in that size (even a Michelin Symmetry with a thin, narrow white wall for Lincoln applications).

The '97+ Regals could be had with the Gran Touring suspension, leather, and the other nicer options which could not be on the Century. Plus they all had the normal 3800 V-6, with the GS having the 3800SC.

The 2000+ LeSabres are nice cars, too, with solid 30mpg highway cruise fuel economy, many more, sometimes. Firmer suspension calibration than the 1999 and prior model years . . . which is still soft but more "no bounce" in orientation. The LeSabres had a taller final drive gear set-up, taking 82mph to reach 2000 rpm in OD. Normal Regals and Centurys had about a 3.07 whereas the LeSabres had a 2.84 or thereabouts.

The earlier A-platform intermediates (with the TPI 3300 V-6) might be a decent choice. LOTs of them still around, but with a few dings and whings on them, sometimes. Bad thing is the "wall to wall" tailight assembly. They were expensive when new and can be difficult to find, should you need one from the salvage yard industry. Pretty nice cars from the "velour" era, though. Neat instrument panel designs, too. I found a few YouTUBE videos of young people (hold those gasps!!!) who had hot rodded several of them with some quite interesting results! A little CompCam, K&N, FlowMaster, and they suddenly smoke the front tires! Even a turbo on one of them. At the present time, if you find a nice one, it'll probably have been an "estate car", I suspect, but some of the other ones just might need a little work.

The later versions (think Chevy Celebrity era) did have the Chevy V-6 rather than the Buick 3300. Still, they were designed when "Buick was Buick" and even the smaller Buicks were very luxurious when compared to their import competitors.

LOTS of possibilities! As long as you keep your options open, you might score a "garage find" of an elderly owner that just needs to sell the vehicle at a decent price. In many cases, the reliability issues might have already been fixed.

Still, to me a timing chain is a "maintenance item" that is "insurance" to arbitrarily replace if there is no evidence it has already been done. An electric fuel pump can be of lesser priority, but still something to consider.

Happy Hunting!!!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

NO, not 3.1 or 3.4, you want a 3.8!!

Oh,,... but Burta.... this one I'm eyeing has a good price? And I drive like an old man anyway. ;) I suppose you want me to get one of them there 3.8's with a Super Charger so I can drive like I'm at the drag races and fill my pockets with tickets. :rolleyes: LOL :D Dandy Dave!

Both the 3.1 and the 3.4 have intake manifold leaks. Ask the seller if the gaskets have been replaced. If not, look at both ends of the engine where the intake meets the block. If there is staining on the block just below the gasket, there is a leak. It is usually several hundred dollars to raplace the gaskets.

If all that it takes is a few new gaskets to fix the leaks, and that is the only common problem, I'll take the time and do it myself. Can't be any worse than making axles, or pouring bearings for a 1915 Buick. Thanks, Dandy Dave!

Dave,

I assunme you tried Craig's List around these parts. I will keep my eyes open around here.

John

Thanks John, I'm searching Craig's list around the tri state area and a few other places as well. Dandy Dave!

With all due respect, we've seen GM H-cars (usually older LeSabres or Delta 88s) with intake leaks, too. Only these were not noticed until the car wouldn't start one day, after sitting overnight. The vehicles came in for a new starter and went out with new intake gaskets and spark plugs . . . plus new coolant. In other cases, the starter's end housing broke. This usually was in the part of the vehicle's life cycle where the owners put gas in them and drove them, being more concerned about mobility than preventative maintenance (partially influenced, by observation, by income demographics of the owners.

Inquiring and checking to see if the intake manifold gaskets had already been replaced would be on the same list as brakes, a/c compressor, timing chain, etc. NOT that it should necessarily be something to hammer the seller for a price reduction on, just something to see if it's already been done (although, as mentioned, a careful inspection might also be in the mix), just like how often the oil and oil filter changes and such had been done.

I've been considering something from this model year as an alternative way to get to 30mpg. Usually, if you buy them right, spend some money to do things so you'll know they've been done (i.e., timing chain, transmissions issues, a/c items as necessary, brakes, shocks/struts), you can end up with a unique vehicle that's pretty inexpensive to insure and maintain and enjoy. Doesn't matter if it's a Buick, Plymouth, Dodge, Pontiac, Mercury, Oldsmobile, or Ford--the same formula can work for many of the middle 1980s+ intermediate cars or even something newer that's just getting into the second-owner used car market for the first time.

A few years ago, there was an article in one of the Mopar magazines about older drag racers, who still wanted to be involved, but not to the level they used to be. One, in particular, found a clean, low-mileage Plymouth Acclaim sedan. He pulled the engine and had a friend rebuild it and make a few durability upgrades in the process. Same with the transaxle. When he was done, it performed in the quarter mile pretty respectably and competitively. So he invested in some tires and went racing. He told his friend that it was pretty neat to have a reliable daily car that he could race on the weekends. Drive to the track, unload the few items in the trunk, bracket race, reload the trunk, and drive home . . . in a/c comfort and 2.2L fuel economy. NO reason why it couldn't be done with a similar model year era BUICK, too!!! Chevy 3.1L or Buick V-6 either one.

For the "pit visuals", it would be better to use one with the Buick 3300 TPI engine, though. That set-up was very "trick" when new and now few will remember what it was, so as they say, the stories can become interesting. Kind of like our local Mopar club (inside joke) about "Canadian 318s with wide valve covers". Same can be true with weekend cruise events, too. Be that as it may.

Just be an intelligent consumer and have fun doing it!

Happy hunting!

NTX5467

Had to replace the intake manifold gaskets in the '89 Ciera I inherited from my uncle. I believe it's a 3.3. Cost me just under $500.00. Car has 50,900 miles on it. Also had to replace the oil pan gasket. I got the car last August and have spent about $2000 on it all totaled - mostly due to non-use the last couple of years.

Nothing wrong with letting a car sit for a while but keep in mind that if one sits too long corrosion is bound to happen. Especially on one in the Northeast and when it has thicker hood insulation, like a Riv or a Park Ave.

This will lead to corrosion in the coil pack/ spark control module bracket, and the module will lose it's ground, causing the car not to start. My sons actually threw away two perfectly good 89 Buick full sized cars because of this. We ultimately found it on an 89 Oldsmobile that I refused to let them give up on.

So look for one advertised that it doesn't run. Make the best offer you think you can get away with, and then totally dissassemble the coil /bracket combination ( It's a two part bracket held together with three bolts). Clean all surfaces and put some oxygard electrical grease in-between the parts before reassembly. Chances are you'll find a running car under there for a very reasonable price.

Guest Skyking

My wife's 2000 Century with the 3.1 just turned over 100,000 miles and still runs like new. I bought it used in '03 with 52,000 miles. I don't know if any gaskets were ever changed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I must agree with all the experts above. Get a vehicle with the 3800 (after 1988) the difference between a Century and Regal (1997 and later) is the engine and trim.

A 3800 will get 30mpg on the road, I don't know about the others. Forget about the tickets and get a late Regal GS with the 3800 supercharged engine. It will get the same mileage until you ask for power...... when ask, it thinks its a V8

John and other.... one problem found with the coil packs (besides going bad) is grounding.

There is no wiring ground, everything is through the mounting and if any of the mounting screws/bolts are loose, it can run badly or not at all.

I must agree with all the experts above. Get a vehicle with the 3800 (after 1988) the difference between a Century and Regal (1997 and later) is the engine and trim.

A 3800 will get 30mpg on the road, I don't know about the others. Forget about the tickets and get a late Regal GS with the 3800 supercharged engine. It will get the same mileage until you ask for power...... when ask, it thinks its a V8

I keep hearing about this 30 mpg. My 3800 gets 20 mpg regularly. Never got close to 30, and it was purchased new in 1994.

My 92 Riv has the 3800 and has 146k miles. Have never had a gasket problem. Drove it to the 2008 ROA meet in Galena, IL from MA (est 2.2k miles round trip) w/ zero problems. Averaged 32 MPG highway keeping it just under 65 MPH. IMO you simply cannot kill a 3800 built from 1991 forward.

Man, what you want is a LeSabre, LeSabre Limited or Park Avenue with the fabulous 3.8 engine. It's the best engine Buick ever built, so good, in fact, I think that's why the LeSabre and Park Avenue were discontinued.

I recently drove my loaded 2005 Park Avenue from Florida to Virginia, 900 miles. When I got there the mileage was 29.8 mpg. I drove 1,000 miles up there while looking at real estate, driving to the Washington area to put flowers on our parents' graves and back to where we were staying. When I left Virginia the mileage was down to 29.2 mpg. When I arrived back in Florida the mileage was back up to 29.5 mpg, which was overall for 3,000 miles.

I drove a 2001 Park Avenue 100,000 virtually trouble-free miles and now my daughter is driving it. She drove my late father's 1991 Park Avenue down to Florida from Baltimore to get it. That car had 197,000 miles on it and never used a drop of oil on the trip, running 70-80 mph.

I drove a 1995 LeSabre Limited 116,000 virtually trouble free miles until a person hit me and totaled the car. After that I also owned a 1998 LeSabre Limited and traded it on the 2005 when it had 105,000 virtually trouble free miles. A cousin drove a 1991 Park Avenue 250,000 miles and it's still going, and a friend in California drove a 90's LeSabre 280,000 miles.

Now do you see why GM quit making those wonderful cars?

Well I doo-ed it. 1996 Century with 37,000 origninal miles. Do ya think I got took??? :rolleyes: Looks nice and clean, and for half of what the local dealer wanted for a newer rot box just crawling with rust underneath. Not a 3800, a 3.1. Sur nuf looks pretty in the pictures. :D Dandy Dave!

Buick : Century: eBay Motors (item 250649053188 end time Jun-15-10 18:09:16 PDT)

Guest papaw

Our neighbor gave our son a 96 Century with 120k on it andhe drove it for 3 years and he never spent a dime on that car! His girlfriend ended up totaling the car but it was a great car. It sat for 2 years beside his house before the neighbor gave it to him and it would not start. We smaked the starter with a hammer and it started right up and when it got totaled it still had the same starter in the car 196k miles when it was killed. GREAT car!!!

Guest sintid58

Where I work they have 3 of the Century's and they were salesmans cars so got a lot of miles on them. Very few problems. The Century was always near the top of the list when it came to trouble free cars every year also. I love my 2003 Le Sabre but had to put intake manifold gaskets in it at 60,000 miles and can not get over 26 MPG. We put 4500 miles on it last year on a trip to California and back and averaged 25.4 which is pretty respectable for a full size car. I did have 2 1997 Park Avenues and they would both top 30 MPG regularly on long trips and average 29 in daily driving. I can't believe that for what you paid you are going to regret buying that Century.

From what I can see . . . just wait until you sink into those velour seats! And experience the quietness and smooooothness that set those Centurys apart from similar Chevys and Pontiacs. Buick's "smaller" luxury car. . . . Remember, it's still a "used car" and is "as old as it is", but at least the price looks very good.

One of our chapter members lucked into a similar vehicle, with less miles, last year. He drove it to the Colorado meet and received a 400 Point Judging System Award with it, drove it some more, and came back to TX.

I realize that everything has to NOW, seemingly, be oriented toward "Euro" stuff in the interiors and such (floor shifts, hand-operated parking brakes, non-soft seats), so I was surprised when I looked at Andy's "find" . . . remembering how things "used to be" and how much more luxurious they were . . . back then. With REAL DESIGNS for the instrument panel! Those center armrests on the split bench front seat make for some comfortable driving! Oh well . . . progress???

Some things from our prior "analog world" still seem "just right" in some cases.

Congrats and Happy Motoring!

NTX5467

Looks like you "doo-ed" good, really good there Dave. :cool: Congratulations. :)

I'll keep this thread going by saying I too am looking for a dependable late model Buick for under $3,000 for my daughter Arrie. She and her Camry were sandwiched on I-40 outside of Raleigh about a month ago and looks as if the insurance company is denying most of the claim. They're stating that due to prior damage sustained when she hit the car in front of her a split second before the guy plowed into the rear end of her, that her car was/is practically worthless. In the meantime she had to pay $900 towing and storage fees. SO, she's coming down to pick up my Rivi until she can save up for another car. I'm hoping that after she drives a Buick for a while she will "really rather have a Buick" than another Camry, Accord or other !@#$%^&* import. So if anyone knows of a low mileage rust free little ol lady Century or Regal in NC, SC or GA let me know.

Mr Earl...you know that once your daughter gets into that Rivi she'll not want to give it back!!
I lost my Reatta that way and doubt I will ever get it back.

I hear ya Ship!! If so, maybe I can find me a Midnight Blue one. :)

Sid, what are Dad's for. I'm sure we're not the only ones that have sacrificed their Buicks for the cause. and who knows, just maybe it will make a Buick believer out of her.

Well I got her home today and it has several problems that need to be addressed before I put her on the road. The first is the air conditioning compessor clutch is shot. There are metal fileings around it and it rattles. The second is that there is no trunk or door key. It has some surface rust under neath in spots. And one horn button is missing on one side of the steering wheel. The interior looks to be more of a light blue than the advertized gray. Other than that car starts almost instantly and runs great with no missing. Too tired to take and post photos tonight. So far for the price, I am happy. :) Dandy Dave!

I registered it yesterday and drove it around the neighborhood. It slides down the highway very well. Filled it with fresh fuel and it is running smooth now after running it a few miles. Replaced the horn button that was missing and I have ordered a new AC pump. I unpluged and oiled the old one enough so that it stopped making noise just to try it out. Glides like a dream. Steers straight with no pull to mention. Cruise works also. No leaks on the engine. Runs cool with no over heating issues. I guess she's ready for an oil change, and a new belt when the AC Compressor shows up. A little Shampoo on the carpets and she'll be nearly new. :D Dandy Dave!

• 2 weeks later...

The AC compressor showed up a few days ago and I installed it. Ran the car over to my buddies shop where we charged up the compressor and it works like a dream. I've been running the wheels off of it the last few days and have had no problems. Rides, and drives like a dream. Blows cold air now also. :D Dandy Dave!