Save the old Dealer Signs!

MarkV

Well, I am leading the effort to save our local Chevy dealership sign and it goes up for ordinance next week and I am driving the first car they ever sold, the 1921 Chevrolet that I have. Anyway, here is the letter and here is a link, where I found out what was gonna happen:

Welcome to Facebook | Facebook

Covina looks to spruce up corner, add vibrancy to downtown - SGVTribune.com

To The Mayor, City Council and Staff of Covina,

My name is Wesley Willison, my family and I have resided in the San Gabriel Valley for over 60 years. We have worked, attended school, lived and died in this wonderful valley and the towns which are contained in it and we have contributed greatly to its growth through being excellent hard working citizens. I am writing today, because of a concern which has come to my attention, regarding the Clippinger Chevrolet property on San Bernardino Road.

As most of you know, Clippinger Chevrolet has been in existence in the San Bernardino Road location since the late 1940’s. It was built because of the dream of one man, Hale Clippinger, to sell excellent quality cars to the citizens of the area. When Clippinger opened, Grand Ave. and Barranca, contained small homes and large ditches at either side of the street, Harry Truman was President and the 1950’s were just beginning.

Hale Clippinger brought his business of nearly 30 years from Los Angeles to Covina. A move which would bring revenue to the city for nearly 60 years and help build Covina into the great city it has now become. In those early days, business was hard, as there was not the kind of population which the area and state contains. This was a huge risk for Mr. Clippinger. But, he brought his lucky 1921 Chevrolet, which was the first car he sold, in 1921, (which my family and I own) and a dream. As it turns out luck would be on his side.

In 1955 my grandfather, Clarence ‘Willie’ Willison, began to work for the dealership. He quickly became the top salesman at the dealership and in the area, and eventually in the entire state of California. On a typical month in his heyday during the 1960’s and 1970’s he would sell 500+ units per month, with two car carriers dedicated to his office alone. He would also sell many of the support vehicles to the City of Covina.

Upon the death of Hale Clippinger in 1969 his son, Norm Clippinger took the helm. My grandfather continued on, and my Uncle as well as my dad worked there during this time. During the 1980’s and 1990’s the dealership weathered many ups and downs, including the death of the owner’s son, who took control of the dealer in the mid-80’s and the re-acquisition of the dealer by Norm in the late 1980’s.

My Grandfather and Uncle continued to work there. My Uncle, however left in the early 1990’s and moved to O’Donnell Chevrolet in San Gabriel after marrying my Aunt, who, coincidentally, prior to their meeting was hired by my grandfather to repair and maintain the sign at the corner of San Bernardino Road in the early 1990’s. So, needless to say, the property most notably the sign holds a great significance to my family and I, but, we are not alone.

Norm Clippinger would sell the dealership at the turn of the century. However, my grandfather remained there until his death at the age of 89 in 2005. Shortly thereafter Clippinger would move its base to Covina and the property on San Bernardino Road would become vacant.

This property as well as the old Andrew’s Ford property has become blight to the city of Covina, because of their state of disrepair. There have been plans to demolish both dealers and build retail spaces. Currently a fabricating business runs out of the old Clippinger property, but the Ford dealer remains empty attracting vagrants and vandals, creating an unsafe atmosphere, to the citizens of Covina.

Though I would be sad to see the place in which was my grandfather’s second home, the old Clippinger building, demolished, now is time for a new chapter and new life for this land.. However, the nearly 60-year old Clippinger Chevrolet Sign, which stands at the corner of San Bernardino Road, needs to be spared. This sign, is of historical importance to the city as well as the state of California. It is one of the final neon dealer signs from that era in this country, along with the Felix Chevrolet sign and a half a dozen others in Southern California; it is one of the last in this state and the last in Covina and the surrounding area.

This kind of sparing has been done in the past; I would point you to the city of Azusa in regards to the Azusa Drive-In Sign, yet another staple from another time. When Azusa Pacific purchased the property, they were forced to keep and restore the old theater sign. Likewise this sign should be spared, and declared protected and untouchable by the city, preventing the current and future owners, developers or city planners from altering, moving or destroying this sign. The sign should also be fully restored to its 1950’s working order, which included a bevy of Neon Lights covering the emblems, and name, as well as the motor for the spinning sign, and a fresh coat of paint. With new technology, it can be restored in a ‘green’ fashion with energy efficient neon lights and motor and environmentally friendly paint. These supplies can be had and installed by any sign company. This can be a part of the re-development, meshing the new, a.k.a. the retail space, with the vintage historical significance of the Clippinger sign.

It should not be removed and kept maintained and a part of the new retail center, which is planned to be a vintage style, thereby matching the downtown area. This sign would fit in perfectly with this retro-feel. Similar to how the antique neon signs fit in with Victoria Gardens in Ontario. All that would need to be done would be that the land directly under the sign which houses the support would be a small piece of protected property and thereby would not affect any retail development. The sign would also draw in customers through the uniqueness of the shopping center and the existence of this vintage sign.

I have spoken to many people in the City of Covina, and the surrounding areas, and many have fond memories of driving past this sign, it is an icon of our area. I, personally, have organized, a ‘Save the Clippinger Chevrolet Sign!’ preservation group, and our support is mounting, because of the significance of this sign to many and we will be active in this effort. Too often, history is lost, because people want newer and better. However, this is a time to stand up and protect our history in this great city. I look forward to our discussions regarding this historical part of Covina, and how to preserve our history for the next generation.

Regards,

Wesley Willison

Save The Clippinger Chevrolet Sign! Preservation Society

‘Save our History, Save our Sign

:) Hi Wes,

I , not only being a old car guy, but also appreciating all things in our country,s history, agree with you 100%. Too many old artifacts, buildings, etc. have been demolished or destroyed in the past with nothing left except photographs or old photo postcards left for us , our children and grandchildren. That's why most of us are in the old car hobby today.

I've never been to Covina, but I think you're making some good points in your letter, and wish you the best of luck and help in saving a piece of history!

:) kaycee

• 3 years later...

[hello everyone

i know exackly how you feel about clipps,i have a body shop just east of them on san bernardino rd,i remember talking to harold blackard of blackards tow service,he was the one who sold mr clippinger the property if mr clippinger could find him a yard for the tow service,in the late 70s threw about 2002 i dealt with them exclusively for my parts,i remember norm clippinger himself calling me and thanking me for the business,my bill that month was like 18000 dollars but for the owner himself to call me i thought what a great man,when it sold to the middle eastern gentleman it went down hill fast they let dennis williams go

he was the parts manager and what a great gut.did me alot of favors over the years including waiting patiently for his check,i remember at one time there was a salesman named bob wingate that sold only corvettes and i believe was one of the top salesman in the country,about 3 times a week or so i drive by and think how did this place that the clippinger family loved so much end up where its at,good luck with the sign

its truly a land mark in the valley dave enrico. service autobody and paint

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

So I just bought a 69 Camaro, that was originally sold at Clippinger Chevrolet. I was hoping they were still in business, so I might be able to locate some original paperwork. 

What is the status of the Clippinger Sign?

Does anyone have any license plate frames from this dealer?

thanks

-Austin

BULLITT65@aol.com

13 minutes ago, BULLITT65 said:

So I just bought a 69 Camaro, that was originally sold at Clippinger Chevrolet. I was hoping they were still in business, so I might be able to locate some original paperwork. 

What is the status of the Clippinger Sign?

Does anyone have any license plate frames from this dealer?

thanks

-Austin

BULLITT65@aol.com

Here you go....http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS5&_nkw=Clippinger+Chevrolet&_sacat=0

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2013 at 0:13 AM, Dave Mellor NJ said:

I just found the Kruse Auction. It was held last Saturday but it was in Austin,Texas not Auburn Indiana. I still can't believe anybody would consign a car to any auction with the "Kruse" name.http://kruseclassics.com/index.cfm?id=209&auc_code=A13

Dan Kruse is not the same organization from the past.

Auctions America purchased the former Dean Kruse site in Auburn and have been running successful auctions for several years.  AACA has been invited there in the past as well and this year May 11-13 CCCA and AACA will both meet together during the Spring Auction. 

hello this is dave at service autobody in covina,ive been following your post on the clippinger sign,ive got a guy from the city coming this morning for some repair work,im going to let him know that i want the sign if there going to demo or when there going to demo the property,i dont know what im going to do with it if i get it its to big for a garage but i dont want to see it salvaged,id like to do a walk threw of the dealership ill bet theres alot of momentos lying in there,      dave

hello again, dave from service autobody

talked to the city of covina a fiew minutes ago,the sign is going to be saved,they dont know where there going to put it at this time,the property has been set up for apartments its in litigation because of a law suit between the owners and the city so until its resolved everything is on hold,the city wants a row of comercial buildins on citrus at san bernardino rd and the owner developer wants all apts,so until its resolved everything sets as is,  hope this helpe

Many buildings in the country suffer demolition and shortened life spans due to the financial, tax differentiation between capital investment and operations and maintenance funding. Build something new and there is all kinds of funding available, even if you want to use the cheapest, shortest lived material from the lowest bidder. In some instances one can be arrested and charged with a felony for using the wrong account to repair something.

Tear it down, build it new. That's written into the law books.

They think they are creating jobs.

Connivers is a term not used frequently enough.

Bernie

• 3 years later...

Having grown up in the SGV and can trace my roots back literally thousands of years there, I would be real sad to see those old signs get torn down.

I know the dealership well, and many family members have purchased cars there over the years.

My Dad never worked there before he started teaching, he worked for Arrow Chevrolet, Crestview Cadillac, Felix Chevrolet and Longo Toyota but Clippinger was always an institution in the Valley.

Three years ago a local Chevrolet dealer closed and the owner very generously let me have my pick of the original parts racks. Naturally I looked around for anything else of interest but the building was basically bare having been picked over pretty clean during its decline over the years. Four months later the wife and I casually strolled through a local flea market and a gentleman had a pile of yardsticks with the same dealers name on them. He said he had been in the same dealership just a few weeks back loading up all the old heavy filing cabinets. He explained that when he moved them away from the wall all of the Chevrolet yard sticks had fallen out from behind them. The other thing crammed between the cabinets and the wall were stacks and stacks of old showroom posters which to his wonderment had just all been bought by a single person as he was unpacking that morning about 15 minutes before I had walked up. The fact that everything in his flea market space was priced $10 or less made this especially painful to hear.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi there,

I am the daughter to Dennis Williams. I grew up at Clippinger Chevrolet. At the age of 8 I learned how to put stock away. Clippinger was such an incredible dealership. The Clippinger family was genuine and kind. Because it was my first job and I stayed in the parts department for years, the fond memories continue to linger. Clippinger Chevrolet was one part department that would find a part even if it was discontinued. My dad was an excellent Manager and his way of leading his team was incredible. Although this property is so sad looking, all I want to do is run the isles of the parts department on a skateboard. It was a thing!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tammyw said:

Hi there,

I am the daughter to Dennis Williams. I grew up at Clippinger Chevrolet. At the age of 8 I learned how to put stock away. Clippinger was such an incredible dealership. The Clippinger family was genuine and kind. Because it was my first job and I stayed in the parts department for years, the fond memories continue to linger. Clippinger Chevrolet was one part department that would find a part even if it was discontinued. My dad was an excellent Manager and his way of leading his team was incredible. Although this property is so sad looking, all I want to do is run the isles of the parts department on a skateboard. It was a thing!

Tammy, various members of my family have purchased many vehicles from Clippinger Chevrolet. 

And many, many years ago, my dad worked in the parts depts of Felix and Arrow Chevrolet. 

On 4/24/2020 at 9:59 AM, md murray said:

Three years ago a local Chevrolet dealer closed and the owner very generously let me have my pick of the original parts racks.  He said he had been in the same dealership just a few weeks back loading up all the old heavy filing cabinets.

I wonder if any of those filing cabinets contained original invoices that show a vehicle's serial number and list of options on it, as Chevrolet Motor Division never kept copies of their build sheets.

Craig

If I'm ever out that way, which is very rarely, I will have to swing by the place and see what is there now.

I'm not exactly close and the horrible traffic makes it even further away, time wise.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2013 at 12:18 AM, Dave Mellor NJ said:

That Bob Wingate is a bad name from the past. He and his "Classic Cars of Covina" or something of that order burned a lot of people and he was sent to the hokey. That reminds me I see Dan Kruse is back in the Auction business in Indiana. I can't believe anybody would consign a car with him.

There are a couple Kruse folks still in business and are solid citizens.  You are thinking of Dean Kruse.