Are you an Antique......

Dandy Dave

I was born in 1936. My son was born in 1964. He got his driver's license in 1981. For the last three years, cars have been listed as antiques that my son could lawfully have driven out of the showroom door brand new. Does that make me feel old? You bet! On the other hand, we ignore the problem by having only cars significantly older than we are. He has a 1909 E-M-F; I have 5 oldies ranging from 1913 back to 1906.

Gil Fitzhugh (the old fudd, not the young buck), Morristown, NJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know your old when the car you took your drivers test in is now classified as an antique. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure the driver's course where I took my test is now an historic landmark. What's that make me? grin.gif

...when the new cars out in the spectator parking areas at Hershey have now been on the show field for around 15 years now. frown.gif

Yes, now I know what the old duffers were thinking back in 1971, that had their brass cars inside the stadium on show day...they just could not understand why someone would restore a 40's or 50's car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know your old when the car you took your drivers test in is now classified as an antique. </div></div>

That's true, but some guys here are so very old...

"How old are they?"

"They're so old that when they were born the Dead Sea wasn't even sick yet."

I know several people who had dinosaurs for pets...

And a few who fart dust! whistle.gif

I meself am known around work as the "resident dinosaur". Good googley moogley, it CAN'T have been 30 years since I set foot in the place as a 22 year old Operations helper... blush.gif And now I'm the guy everybody comes to to find out what some of this outdated shat is and does.

Am I an antique? I think its fair to say that I am broke in… So that being the case I believe the modified context of this question would be: will I become an antique?

The assumption is that I (we all) will become an antique with time and I personally contest and challenge this as a complete distortion and misconception of facts. A car that was manufactured yesterday, 20 years, 30 years or 60 years ago was built to perform a range of functions within a set range of specifications. Using this as a premise, a car that is either maintained at its original operating specifications or restored to its original operating specification is not an antique but nothing more than a functional representation of an era or more specifically a point in time.

Conclusion; my cars are not now or will be antiques. Rational; all will perform, at a minimum, all functions to the specifications at which they were designed to until such time a non-repairable catastrophic failure occurs.

Correlating conclusion; I am not, nor will I become, an antique. Correlating rational; I will continue maintain myself to performance, at a minimum, all functions to the specifications at which they were designed to until such time a non-repairable catastrophic failure occurs.

Bottom line, I love being human and being able to make up any rule or story to make my point to my satisfaction. I still though do not see myself or my cars as antique and probable never will be able to. Any time I am around any one of my cars, those of friends, or those at shows it helps to activate the little bit of extra youth within.

BTW, I remember very clearly driving a ’68 Chevy Malibu throughout drivers ed; but it was a ’68 Plymouth Fury VIP that I drove for my license test.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1DandyDaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....When you have lived long enough to see an average, run of the mill car/truck that you own, or owned at one time, become a desired Antique??? I feel old. cry.gif Dandy Dave! </div></div>

Every car or truck I've bought new is now considered an "antique" low case a none are "desired" If it was in a showroom in my lifetime it will never be an antique. Antique cars were made Pre 1916, the rules changes will never change this fact.

When my mother started driving, at 12/13, North Carolina had no drivers license law, so she drove many years, legally with no license. When she did take the test, in 1935, she did it in a new Ford 2 door sedan. I took mine in a 1963 Riviera. And, yes it does seem impossible, that it's now an 'antique' car...B

1937hd45,

I guess everyone's thoughts on this subject depend a lot on their frame of reference.

I was born in 1960. My car primary antique car is a 1929 Model A Ford.

While I would love to have a Brass Car some day, for now I will have to settle with what I have. To me, that is an Antique Car. (My state DMV also agrees with me as does AACA Rules.... So for me, that is sufficient to call it an Antique.)

Although I am no spring chicken, I don't think that I am quite an Antique myself. It seems sort of strange that I got the Youngest Driver Award at the 2008 Sentimental Tour while driving one of the oldest cars on the tour.

I know what you're saying. I took my driver's test in a '50 Nash Ambassador. That was in 1955.

I'd love to have my dad's Nash back. That was some nice car.

Yes, I do feel old when the cars I lusted for,as a boy, are now considered vintage or antique cars.

Life goes on.

Rog

OK, all you antique car guys out there, here are the Rules:

1. "antique" is a relative term.

2. It relates to the person using the term "Antique Car"

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines antique as "a noun:

an object made in a bygone era"

3. If the car in question is older than the person using the

term, it's an antique to that person.

Example: For a person born in 1957, all cars 1956 and

older are antiques.

Rational: If it's not older than me, it's not an antique,

and I'm certainly not an antique because I'm

alive and my era continues.

4. This interpretation allows younger old car enthusiast to

own an love antiques that remain purely collectable cars to

us and meet the definition of "Antique" to the happy owner.

What may be antique to me may be just an old car to somebody older than I am. Example we had a guy in our local club who restored cars by himself until age 98. He loved Model A Fords

but they were just old cars to him. He thought until he died at age 100 (in 2008) that real antiques (1907 & earlier for him) were the real antique cars. (his name was Ken DeWitt)

I'm sure some will disagree and think of themselves as "antiques" while enjoying cars of there youth, just older cars to the rest of us.