What treasures did you find at Hershey?

Bob Kinker

I was walking around some & found a reasonably priced traffic light for the garage, and a nice 67 Beetle! I'll pick up the Beetle this coming weekend. Both "Treasures" were found in or near the Orange field.

What "Treasures" did you find? And where was it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob Kinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was walking around some & found a reasonably priced traffic light for the garage, and a nice 67 Beetle! I'll pick up the Beetle this coming weekend. </div></div>Which one? Blue or Green? Just bought DB parts and pizza, lots of pizza.

I got the light blue 67 Beetle. I learned to drive in a 59 VW, and had a couple of 67's after I could legally drive!

This isn't the one I bought, but is the same color.

Bought a old newspaper printed on the eve of the Great Depression and dated Tuesday October 29th 1929. Headline and subhead reads:

<span style="font-weight: bold">"Stocks Again Drop Wildly"

"Bankers to Buy Up Stocks In Effot to Check Drop"</span>

The reference will be a great addition to my current presentation I'm giving friends and investors per a recession proof website I've been toying with for several years now. If you'd like a pdf of the front page of the this vintage "Reading Pennsylvania Times" just hollar my way.

One other headline on the front page read: <span style="font-weight: bold">"Enormous Losses Also Suffered on Curb; Public Barred from Exchange"</span>. As someone once said.... any time is a good time if you but know what to do with it.

What "Treasures" did you find? And where was it?

AACA Headquarters / Library

- AGNM Badge for our Mustang.

- Information on our Chrysler.

- A framed picture of Ken Eberts' artwork.

Green Field:

- A trailer for our Army Jeep.

Orange Field:

- A Winross truck for the 25th anniversary of my region (GVACS) that is currently celebrating its' 50th anniversary.

- A spark plug and tester.

Chocolate Field:

- An AACA 50th anniversary license plate. With the 75th anniversary coming in two more years, I felt lucky to find a 50th anniversary plate.

- Janet Ricketts.

- A siren bracket for the American LaFrance that we're looking at.

Red Field:

- A bunch of Winross trucks to include the one from when my region hosted the AGNM in 1990, and several Hershey Region Winross trucks going as far back as 1973. No I'm not into Winross trucks, but I have been collecting Hershey Meet trucks the last few years.

- A dear old friend by the name of Howard Scotland.

Hershey Lodge:

- Pushing 80+ cars off of the stage will wear you out.....

I bought two nice AACA shirts at the Headquarters tent. I got to return one of them as it was "defective"! Had to plead my case with the girls, that I did not in any way "cut the sleeves off that shirt". confused.gif

They finally gave in and gave me the correct long sleeve version. smile.gif

I picked up my registration packet, which I consider a purchase. A very valuable purchase I might add, as I got to park on the field and join others in compertition for a little recognition, plus be close for my photo opportunities. smile.gif

I met a bunch of friends while walking across the bridge in front of the Giant Stadium, but missed so many more. I appreciate the ones that came up to the AACA Registration Tent on Saturday and spoke to me, along with the other friends I met on the show field while taking pictures.

As Pat mentioned, the R&M Auction was a lot of fun, although heavy work. Work like that brings AACA members together. Looking forward to that next year.

I didn't really intend to buy any parts, but I consider seeing my friends in Hershey the biggest treasure of all. wink.gif

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....but I consider seeing my friends in Hershey the biggest treasure of all. wink.gif

Wayne </div></div>

Me too. Sadly I did not find you to say hello. cry.gif I did get to meet West in person smile.gif , I saw Bookreader a couple of times and got to talk with her and got to see Terry Bond. I missed seeing windjammer, he had already left his flea market space. I saw Eric (Rick) Marsh, Dave Berg and Joe Vicini whom I have judged with on several occasions over the years, as I have also with Bookreader. I never saw novaman or his dad. frown.gif

And then.....there was ex98thdrill. Bill and I were walking in the Red Field, me dragging the Radio Flyer 90 wagon that I bought at Hershey quite a few years ago. (Bill bought a $1.00 tire for the '39 Dodge and I ended up spending $30 to buy the wagon when he couldn't carry the tire any further. I have taken that wagon to every Hershey since. grin.gif The tire is still sitting someplace in the garage unused. blush.gif ) Anyway, I have a bike flag on the back of the wagon to help people see it. There is a cartoon drawing of the head of a Dalmatian and it's wearing a fireman's hat. From behind me, going the other way, I hear, "Cute Dalmatian flag". "Thanks, I have a Dalmatian", I replied as I turned to see who had spoken to me. Then I <span style="font-weight: bold">really look </span>at the guy that spoke to me. It's ex98thdrill with a smirk on his face.

My purchased treasure was not auto related. It was a mint condition Furskin Bear (the people that make Cabbage Patch dolls made them) marked down to just $5. They were $20 and up when new.

Bob, Was that you that had a buddy helping you carry the traffic light, crossing at the Green Field cross-over?

My first car was a 1967 VW Beetle. I loved that car. It was sort of an off white when I got it. I saved up and had it painted "Electric Blue". I replaced it with my mom's 1980 VW Beetle when she decided to sell it.

I found a number of treasures at Hershey this year.

- There was the three days of simply GREAT Weather.

- Spending almost all day Friday walking the flea market fields with a group of friends that do it every year and watching the race car reliability runs at the stadium

- Seeing a number of discussion forum members I know and meeting others for the first time

- Eating some of my traditional Fall Hershey food during the Friday Flea Market walk and Saturday Car Show.

- Having dinner at the Hershey Italian lodge Thursday night (GOOD Food) and watching friends compete in their Bocce Ball Playoff Match.

(They won and advanced to the Semi-Finals!)

- Picked up a few items in the Flea Market for my Literature collection as well as some AACA items I needed.

- The thing I treasured the most was simply being at Fall Hershey and having the opportunity to see old friends and make new ones.

For me, that is the most valuable "Treasure" there is.

Shop Rat,

Wasn't me. I never ventured out of the Orange Field. I had knee replacement surgery in March, and while I'm walking good and back to work, I didn't want to venture too far away in case something let loose!.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From behind me, going the other way, I hear, "Cute Dalmatian flag". "Thanks, I have a Dalmatian", I replied as I turned to see who had spoken to me. Then I really look at the guy that spoke to me. It's ex98thdrill with a smirk on his face</div></div>You know Susan, my father and I ran our butts off that there were so many people that I never saw, or only saw in passing.

- I saw you and Howard Scotland within that same 15 minutes and that was it for the entire week.

- Wayne and Bruce Wheeler worked with my dad and I at RM Auction on Friday night.

- Joe Vicini & Dave Berg - I saw at Judge's Breakfast.

- David Devine, Windjammer and Peter Heizmann I never saw at all.

- Hulon McCraw, Bill Boudway, Steve Boettger, Jim Bollman and Steve "Kojak" Moskowitz - I saw every day.

- Janet Ricketts - I saw her on Wednesday for about 5 minutes.

- Fred Young & West Peterson - I saw on Saturday only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> - David Devine, Windjammer and Peter Heizmann I never saw at all.</div></div>

How could I forget that I did see and talk to Peter H.? Or that I saw Steve at the AACA Headquarters? Or Hulon at the Judges Breakfast? blush.gif I did go to Jim Bollman's flea market space but he had just left so I told his wife to let him know that I at least attempted to get to meet him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Janet Ricketts </div></div>

Sure wish I had been able to see her, haven't for several years. She had lived in Easton where Bill went to college (Layfayette College) and my neice and her husband now live.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">- Fred Young & West Peterson - I saw on Saturday only.

</div></div>

I saw Fred as he was putting where he would be judging so that I could find him if need be since I was Team Captain of class 20e where his car was going for it's Senior Award.

It was great to get to meet West in person.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve "Kojak" Moskowitz </div></div>

laugh.gif

Seriously. Thanks to Steve and the AACA office staff, $10,000 was raised for four-year-old Brandt Plueger's family to help defray costs involved with cancer treatment. Thanks also to all who contributed to the fund.

I didn't find any treasures even after walking 7 miles according to the walk meter on Friday alone. Still bought normal stuff for the winters projects.

I did make a fellow car hobbyist and friend happy. Seems he has been looking for a part for 2 years with no luck. After digging through my shed I came up with what he needed and gave it to him.

I got a HUGE lesson in how important it is to inventory what you have, as well as how expensive it is to introduce your son to the hobby.

I was looking for parts for my '29 Buick, and found headlight lenses ($200) and a radiator cap/oranment ($100). My son was very helpful in remembering details about the car, but unfortunately he accidentally broke a lens. WHen we got home, he found a radiator cap in the parts bin, a little better than the one I bought. Oh well, live and learn. Anyhow, best year I've spent in Hershey yet.

Did you mean THIS year?? I remember buying my 1931 Dodge radiator shell when I was 16 years old (I am now 56) for thirty-five dollars at Hershey. It is N.O.S. I still have it in my bedroom and am wanting to finally install it on my car next year. Why languishing for so long, you may ask? That's a whole other story.

I found a rebuilt Stewart Warner fuel pump for my 32 903 Packard. Almsot walked by the vendor as I didn't immediate recognize any Packard parts. Then I saw this fuel pump with a nice little sign with the "Kings Ransom" listed below. :oI hadn't seen one for sale in the three years I have own the car. Now my car is almost 100% correct except for that even rarer voltage regulator. I spent about 6 hours Sat walking and only barely covered one field.

Guest Stonefish

I scored on a tray of Hot Wheels Red Liners & a sweet box of early Matchbox including some grey wheeled ones, all in great condition!

• 1 month later...
Guest windjamer

I arrive Tues. and leave at noon on Fri. Its a 160 mile trip one way home, I unload the truck catch about 4hrs. sleep and drive back to the show field with the wife and two cars.I made some new frends this year, exchanged a AACA jacket for a larger fit (no problem, girls where wonderful.They must know Wayne.) Sorry I missed shoprat,Was looking forward to meeting her. I sold the lower piece of windsheld chrome to the guy on the cornor selling the cars. He had a chevelle for sale missing the peice, I told his helper the car would look better with it. Guy said he had looked for it for two years, I told him he must not look vary hard but if he had twenty bucks he could have his pick of three I had.Guy got to my space almost befor I did. BEST HERSHEY in 12 years cant wate for next year.

Hey Dick, "those girls" know me alright.

True story. They sold me a couple shirts in Hershey and while I wasn't looking they cut the sleeves off one pair. I think they did it on purpose to see me get agitated when I tried to return it and they said, "You must have bought it somewhere else"! ?????? crazy.gifsmile.gif

Wayne

Guest windjamer

The girls cut the sleve off. Ya right.Wayne have you no conscience??I bet you have a bridge for sale too. Your blameing those HARD WORKING ladies deserves 30 lashes with a wet noodle.

Messing with you Dick. They did have them in the incorrect display. Of course I was busy doing what I do best, running my mouth, and never checked until I tried one on that night. blush.gifsmile.gif

Anyway, everything turned out just fine. They got the chance to pick on me some and we all had a good time. wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windjamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry I missed shoprat,Was looking forward to meeting her. </div></div>

I was sorry to have missed meeting you wj. frown.gif I tried as I am sure your buddies at your space told you. They told me you had mentioned to them that I would be there. Hopefully next year at one of the shows we can finally meet in person. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I found and purchased a NYC porcelan street sign from a street around the corner from where my grandparents lived in The Bronx. Pelham Parkway and Tomlinson Ave, they lived on Pelham Parkway and Hone Ave.... what are the odds of that with all of the streets in New York City! and how many could be left

John