Went driving today

Jay Wolf

I bundled up and went out driving today,

the Model A fired right up in the single digits and ran well.

I was surprised how well it took off on the snow covers streets and the field.

Stopping not so good but the tires were narrow enough to work as rudders to steer even when lock up.

I drove it out in the field behind my house a took some pictures I think they can out well.

post-30764-143138036614_thumb.jpg

post-30764-143138036617_thumb.jpg

Guest windjamer

Real pretty car Jay. I must say you sure know how to tease a guy. -20 last week end a ft of snow and I plan to attend a club meeting just to get out of the house. 71 days or less till uncover and start em up, but whos counting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DriveAG2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.. to all who run their cars in the winter is to run them long enough to get them fully hot... It takes several miles of hard driving to dry out the engine. This might test your enthusiasm ... </div></div>

Jay, I agree with the others, awesome car. It looks great on the snow. And this reminds me of the presentation I attended this past weekend. The great grandson ( Jeff Mahl) of George Shuster gave a first person removed account of George's escapades while he was part of the Thomas Flyer team during The Great Automobile Race, from New York to Paris in 1908. The race started February 12th from Times Square in NY City and traveled through NY State to San Francisco. Needless to say the team found snow, and plenty of it in a windshield less and topless automobile. Jeff had a presentation that included many pictures of the adventure AND he impersonates George telling the stories just as he heard it from George himself many times. This was a very entertaining event I hope to remember for a long time.

We went for a drive the other day too. We had 61 anitque

cars behind us, from a 1912 Cadillac to a 1981 Ford Mustang.

almost 40 of them were pre WWII cars. We drove 27 miles to get them warmed up, then got our pictures taken and went to

a local eatery for food and conversation.

This weekend we're headed south over the Sunshine Skyway to Sarasota FL for the Devereaux Classic. Should be about 1000

old cars braving the winter weather for this event. For our local club it's 60 miles each way, and will include some fine dining on the way home.

post-32318-143138036878_thumb.jpg

The guy I owned the car from has been dead for 7 years so I didn't get much history.

Going from a 1928 Color chart we think it is we think it is:

Pembroke Gray with commercial drab accent and orange stripes and wheels.

We are perty sure abut the commercial drab (TCP IM020)accent and orange (TCP IM035)stripes and wheels.

The Pembroke Gray (TCM IM1160) is a little lighter than the chart but the chart is OLD

But I do not know for sure, the car was painted in the late 60's early 70's

Jay, there are several "correct" Model A colors that are very close to the way your car looks (on my screen).

Without seeing it in person, it is tough to call, but one correct color combination for a 1929 Roadster that looks close to me would be the following:

Rose Beige Body

Seal Brown Belt & Moulding

Orange Pinstripe

I don't think you can rely on a website for the colors, just like I said I can't be sure not seeing your car in person. The differences in colors being displayed on different monitors and also as printed on different printers is too variable to be really sure.

You need to find a copy of the MAFCA paint guide that has the paint chips. The chips in that are relatively close to what your car looks like as displayed on my monitor.

There is no guarantee it is even an original Model A Color, but I suspect there is a good chance it might be the ones that I posted earlier. In my experience, Most restorers who would go as far as to use correct Model A Colors, would also make sure it was a valid original color combination.

I think I started something, I have gotten a couple of private messages from owners who decide to take out the old cars and had a great time. Sometimes we are so careful of our old cars, and treat them like fragile objects. We forget what they were built for and the type of roads they were originally driven on. I drove mine around in the snow cover field and I was surprised how well it rode and the took the bumps, I think it rode better than my 4x4 truck in the field.

I was thinking about removing the bling from my Model a that was put on it before I got it.RE: radiator guard, quail, side mount mirror. I think i will keep the usable stuff like the wind wings and the trunk. I haven't decide about the side mount cover?

I have had other Model A's with a few accessories.

My current one only has windwings and one windwing mirror. The mirror is a nice addition when backing. It is difficult to see much behind you in a Phaeton with just the center rear view mirror.

I would keep any mirrors that help you actually see when backing, but other than that, I agree that a Model A looks best with blackwall tires and as few accessories as possible.