Battery Prices

Steve Braverman

I just paid $90 for a group 2 6V battery at NAPA. Did I just get ripped off? I haven't had to buy one for a long time, but I don't ever remember them being so expensive. Then again, I seem to be saying that about everything I have to buy recently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just paid $90 for a group 2 6V battery at NAPA. Did I just get ripped off?</div></div>I paid $600 last year for a group 2 battery for the fire truck.

But this was original Ford script battery case that was milled out so that a brand new optima could fit inside the original Ford battery case.

Now when that battery dies, it'll be a matter of going down to Auto Zone and replacing it with another Optima.

I looked at websites for original batteries for my '51 Ford. They were about $120.00. They included the original dimensions of the battery. I went to Battery Warehouse and found a matching size battery for about $60.00. I don't know if Battery Warehouse is a nation wide chain but there are several here in Maryland and I have always had good luck with thier batteries for the last 20 years.

I got my 6v battery at NAPA but unfrtunately don't recall what I paid for it. I do know they cut me a break on prices because I spend a "few" dollars there.

NAPA may be a bit on the hig side but I have always found their products to be far better than the competition. The peace of mind is worth the extra cost to me.

Battery prices are up due to China's insatiable demand for lead and other metals. My local NAPA store has a sign out front that says........ CASH PAID FOR JUNK BATTERIES. It wasn't too many years ago that you had to ask real nice to please take your old one. I also patronize my local NAPA store. They will spend whatever time it takes to help me cross match parts or spend 1/2 hour going through their racks of fittings to find a $2 part I need. The only time I go in a big box store is if I'm right next to it and I need a very minor something. Support your local independant parts store, we NEED them.......Bob

Here is my two cents,"Suggested" list price on group 2 is 99.95 at Carquest, my stocking dealer cost is $67 exchange, so if you ask for a discount, the counter guy will usually give you 15%, I would go back to NAPA and ask if they give a "hobby" discount. Keep in mind profit is not a bad word and is the only thing that keeps the doors open. (small business owner) Karl

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nearchoclatetown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When is this country going to wake up and stop buying their crap!! </div></div>

My guess is never.

Geez, maybe I mis-spoke, Karl. For as long as I can remember whenever I bought parts if the bill showed list price I would look the counter guy in the face and say "Oh, this is list, whats the net?" They almost always would say "oh" and the net (discount) was usually in the 20-30% range. Way back when, sometimes someone would say they needed a bill head from a dealer or shop to sell at net, but I think those days are gone forever, at least around here. It's a little tougher to get dealer parts at net but I can usually still manage 15% from a new car dealer. I'm not sure how it works at the big box stores because I never buy parts there but my guess is they sell at "net". If not just spin on your heel and go to a store that will.

Sorry if I seemed like I was getting in anyones face. That wasn't my intention. I was just surprised that some stores were trying to sell at list..........Bob

I paid $80 18 months ago for a 6 volt battery when I needed it immediately, from a local dealer. I find that Tractor Supply usually has a good price, I think the one I bough a year ago was around $40.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NAPA may be a bit on the high side but I have always found their products to be far better than the competition. The peace of mind is worth the extra cost to me.</div></div>I put a NAPA coil on that Flathead Ford. It cost me $75, but I got a lifetime free replacement on it. For meets where the truck is point judged, I put the Ford script coil on it, but when I'm driving the truck, I run the NAPA coil on it.

By the way, most of the NAPA stores in my area don't keep a whole lot in stock. Usually if you need something they have to order it, and it'll come in tomorrow. Many people refer to NAPA as "the tomorrow store."

I found out that NAPA was actually an acronym for

No

Auto

Parts

Available grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

All kidding aside, they've treated me pretty good, but I try to spread my business out to several of the auto parts stores.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Usually if you need something they have to order it, and it'll come in tomorrow. </div></div>

The same thing happens to me. It might help if we weren't trying to buy parts for 80 year old cars though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All kidding aside, they've treated me pretty good, </div></div>

I've had the exact same experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but I try to spread my business out to several of the auto parts stores. </div></div>

Autozone doesn't carry parts for a 1926 Chevy.

I have a NAPA brand bus battery that is 7 years old, still working great plus the cells check out pretty good for the age.

The NAPA dealer is very helpful with the old car stuff and even lets me go into the warehouse when I need to fit a bend in a hose, etc. I don't think that their parts cost anymore but their stuff does seem to last longer.

My NAPA dealer is good to work with also, in September I bought my second NAPA battery for my Model A, also around $90 as Steve points out. Bought one exactly 61 mos earlier for around $60 - so the prices did go up quite a bit. After not using the car for most of August, I went to use it in Sept - appears they now have these batteries designed to fail right at 60 months like most of the manufacturers. I also understand their supplier for batteries is different.

Looking back, my 1930 Hardware and automotive supplies catalog from L.L. Ensworth and Sons in Hartford lists batteries at $5 for most cars, $7 for Packard automobiles, with no further explanation...

I recently went to the local Napa dealer to purchase a 6V battery. When the lady looked it up she saw the price was listed at $90. Before I could react she marked it down $25. They had two in stock. My Chandler will get it's first "jolt" in 40 years from one of them.

i have been very happy with Napa over the years. They are the only chain stores that still have parts people that know what points are for. Just my 2-cents.

As far as the figure of $90 goes it is not high for any voltage battery of sufficiently high power to start and run your vehicle. My 96 Eldo took a $150 red top Optima and I'm not complaining. Here's one reason- reserve amps. If you are out someplace and the alternator craps out you have the reserve power only to run electrical components and get home or to a place with service.

Same goes for vintage except there is less things to use power like computer being needed to keep the car running. I have an 875CCA Interstate that was in the car when I got it 3 years ago. It's taken many charges from inactivity. The high CCA factor gives power when a cheap battery would be dead either by having the power to crank longer or supply juice longer if the generator conks out.

And yeah NAPA has stuff nobody else has or they have people who actually bother to cross reference things and get what you need.

Look around for a farm or ranch supply store. Around here we have TSC farm supply.

They stock all kinds of batteries including at least 3 six volt batteries, big ones regular ones and the long skinny ones for Buick and Hudson.

They also have flathead Ford points (they use them in tractors too) 6 volt solenoids coils etc.

The prices tend to be lower than auto parts stores, closer to the chain store level.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They also have flathead Ford points </div></div>

The 9N, 2N, and early 8N tractor with a front distributor will only supply one set of points. The dual points in the early flat head V8 distributor has a left and right set if I remember correctly. smile.gif Dave!