American Hotrod

Jay Wolf

American Hotrod does it again.

Has anyone watched Boyd on American Hotrod lately.

He took a nice old 1927 T Roadster compete with top and all.

Threw away everything but the main body section, cut out the firewall, filled in the doors and truck and made a bonneville racer out or it.

I just keep saying WHY???

Why on earth wouldn't he just buy an after market body?

Why trash a nicely preserved old T. There is no way it could have been a financially sound idea much less a morally sound one.

I am not a Streetrod hater but I don't see the reason for starting with a restored car when a fiberglass or reproduction body is avalible.

This was worse than usual.

He didn't use anything from the car.

He never uses the drive train but this time he didn't use the fenders, the doors, the hood or even the radiator shell

he used about 1/2 the topless body shell.

I hope at lease some as able to buy the original T parts.

I'll be at Hershey and keep my eyes out for him.

Not that I agree with his uses of old cars, but I can see why he started wit ha 59 Chevy on the one project, the cost of recreating the body panel would be enormous , but I just don't get the T.

Don't forget the Model A Pickup that his former machine shop guy modified... at least he kept the body and bed, fenders stock.

I have to give him credit for that.

That T roadster looked like something I would've driven as is.. patina is the word.

What about that '32 B-400 that is in the background of most shows. It's a nice original car in one episode then it's all cut up. What a shame on a rare and desirable car like that!

And the 55 or 56 Chrysler 300......in the background too..

I posted the same question on the Land Racing website, and is started a bit of a firestorm. YES a fiberglass 26-27 T body would be legal to race in the class he bilt that car for. He would have saved himself $3,500 PLUS the travel & labor to get were he was with the steel body. The Bonneville people may have tared him already for what he did to the Bonneville Salt Flats. Got his motorhome stuck along with THREE wreckers. Google it I'm sure it will come up. Hope he isn't coming to bid on the Olds Limited.

Why does he do it? Because it's outrageous and outrageous sells. I think it was Mae West that said "There's no such thing as bad publicity, just don't spell my name wrong". In that light the Floyd Cotterpin moniker is pretty funny.

Personally I watched his "show" once. PURE BULL S**T...Bob.

Yes but AACA is a restorer's club, and the Hershey region that puts this on is a chapter of a restorer's club. For years they have had policies around what type of cars (unmodified) can be in the car corral let alone shown. They do a pretty good job of keeping the vendors in line also. My point is, I hope "Boyd's" appearance is not something the region is promoting. He is not helping the restoration cause one bit and don't think he would not "improve" on musclecars either, most of the muscle guys prefer restorations also.

Yes, do as you will if you own it, but it does not mean those into original cars have to cheer them on. I don't necesarilly agree with these guys who think the future of the hobby will be mostly modifieds. (see HD's post in general section.) I think like other fads this will come and go. There will eventually be a "glut" of these cars with no historic value, appealing to a smaller group than is into them now. Collectors will still be into the pre-war stuff after the current age group that is really into hot rods based largely on nostalgia ages out - hopefully those few nice originals left are not all rodded by then. I can see the desire for a "traditional hot rod" but every pre-war car does not need a modern drivetrain, AC & power everything to be fun. Personally, I think it kind of misses the point of driving a car from a distant era.

Guest South_paw

It's all about the VIN/serial number tag, thats why Boyd chopped up that car. Otherwise he would have to register or sell it as a kit car and the value would be far less... Thats my take on it crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: South_paw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all about the VIN/serial number tag, thats why Boyd chopped up that car. Otherwise he would have to register or sell it as a kit car and the value would be far less... Thats my take on it crazy.gif </div></div>

There is no VIN number on any Model T, just an engine number, this was a race car with a GM four cylinder engine.

Let's hope that Floyd Cotterpin isn't going to Hershey shopping for more cars to destroy!!! Yes, Ted, we can do pretty much anything with the things we own, but, does that make it right to destroy something that is old, unique to a degree, and cannot be replaced when destroyed? He could have as easily bought a repro body, or, even have had it fabricated in his shop. My 2 cents worth..B

Get used to it! there are more people watching his (Boyd's) exploits via basic package cable TV than seem to be interested in restoring cars to original specs/appearance. Read an issue of Hot Rod lately? there is an article in about every issue on how someone bought a restored car ("award winning"), dismantled it and started the whole "usual suspects" rod treatment--SBC/TH400, Rustang II front end, Ford 9" rear end, classic air, Recaro buckets, GM tilt column, the usual. The only mention of the worth of the restored car in its original form is "it was a good place to start"

Are we making the owning and restoring of original cars fun and appealing to outsiders?

Do you welcome newcomers with interest (but no car yet) in your club? (or is it "us four and no more"?)

Do you try to attract younger people/newcomers into your group?

MrPushbotton, Can't find a flaw in your statement, it all boils down to the basic reaction to a car viewed by a member of both camps of the hobby. A rodder will basicly compliment the car owner on some aspect of a car, be it finished or just draged out of a barn. A restorer will try to impress the new old car owner with as many "wrong" items he can find in his quest to convince the guy he needs to spend the rest of his life on the restoratrion, and don't show up until it's finished. Like it or not the "Rat Rod" fad was a huge boost to the hotrodding ranks, and put a lot more cars back into the hobby.

Bob, I don't think all antiquers work that way. I know that most people in Virginia don't treat others that way. Our own little region has members with hot rods. They drive them on tours with us. We even have a mildly modified car on this tour. We have a mixture of both in our area. We try to appeal to both, as a matter of fact. Somewhere in the future we'll have to rely on each other to protect the hobby, so now's a good time to start.

Wayne

1937hd45--you bring up a good point, this constant "nanny-nanny boo-boo, your car is wrong and my car is right" game.

I belong to a club that has a national meet every year, judges cars according to "authenticity" but has no published standard. A bunch of guys who have all known each other since 195X,196X,197X all "know how these things were built" are the judging core and that's that. I have recently been shown some wonderful publications by the Lincoln club on the first Continentals, they took the original FoMoCo parts book and labeled all of the exploded diagrams with arrows going to each part saying "gloss black" "matte black" "olive green" "nickel plating" "cad plating"--very nicely (and cheaply) done, they spell out ahead of time what they expect to see on your car when you enter it, and they have passed that knowledge down for future generations to have. I think we need to outreach and make the ownership of as-built cars more appealing in order to have them survive as original cars.

Step one--make it fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bingo! Tell him yourself if you are going to be here for the Fall Meet. It is our understanding that he is coming</div></div>

It makes you wonder if the guy is as big of jerk in person as him and his shop foreman appear to be on TV.

My comment may have been inappropriate. However, I cringed 3 times already when his show used a car that there were plenty of "donor" vehicles or reproduction parts available. Why destroy something when there are other ways to do things. For me it is a matter of respect.

I have long admired many of Boyd's creations. I am not anti-street rod nor hot rods personally. However, in this day and age a builder has so many options to construct a great rod without using a complete car. Just my opinion.

If Boyd is here as I am told, I naturally hope that we all take the high road and don't stoop to a level that sometimes is exhibited on the show. We are better than that.

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">every pre-war car does not need a modern drivetrain, AC & power everything to be fun. Personally, I think it kind of misses the point of driving a car from a distant era.

</div></div>

THIS is what I <span style="font-style: italic">can't</span> stand. I completely agree, the whole point of owning an old car is experiencing just that....an old car. These resto-mods/"updates" "modernizations" I dont really consider as much to be "old cars". Its a new car that looks like an old one. Go buy a new Mustang or something. And I know that's a rather broad and powerful statement. I do like hot rods...I just get sick of every one looking like it a brand new car just retro-styled, especially with the interior. Gotta have that old banjo wheel and the wood graining and everything else. Those seats belong in a race car buddy this aint a race car!!! LOL

Thats why I chose to hang onto the Special, besides the grossly immense sentimental value. What a departure from what I'm used to. Even the smell of that car gets me every time.

OK, I must not watch enough TV but, I have never seen Coddington or Foose on TV. The little that I know about them is from reading on this discussion forum. I wouldn't know them if they walked up to me and said hello. While I have seen some modified cars that were interesting, I like restored cars.

One example that drives me crazy is that an allegedly 1927 Ford Roadster described as follows:

"This car was originally built by a friend of mine, and rebuilt by me with a few changes. It uses a Model A frame, pedals and grill shell. The only true Model T parts are the headlight buckets (converted to quartz). It features a moderatly built 350 Chevy (of course) Muncie M22 4-speed, 56 Chevy rear, SuperBell axle (which I drilled), '40 Ford Spindles, Radir front wheels w/custom-drilled rotors (which I did), Halibrand rear wheels w/Hoosiers, Vertex magneto, CalCustom valvecovers, scoop, etc. The front signals are '28 Hudson cowl lights. It also features a 1926 Elgin dash clock, Stewart Warner gauges (to match the clock), and machine-turned dash (me at the drill press again)." sick.gif

that appears to be headed to win the 1920's decade on the Texaco Car of the Decades contest. How does that represent the 1920's? confused.gif

Since it is pretty obvious that my 1929 Ford Model A Phaeton is doomed to losing in that contest, please take the time to log on and vote for the 1929 Lincoln that has a chance of beating that car to represent the 1920's in that contest.

I guess I can go back into my cave now.

I had the same thought and agree with Steve on stooping to Coddington's level.

From the little I have seen on TV, he appears to me to be a miserable little man that needs to get his way or else he will yell loudly and throw a tantrum.

No matter how much anyone disagrees with what he does with good antique cars, we should not make make a big deal in acting negative to his presence. That would just be positive PR for him (that he would enjoy and probably use to the fullest) and project a negative image for AACA. Instead, keep a positive attitude and let him see how happy being an AACA member and a TRUE car enthusiast can be.

Why aren't there any restoration shows?

Does the public not want them or is just nobody making so they are not available to air??? Cable companies seem starved for material. I guess that is why they air the same program 30 times.

Chop-Cut-Rebuild sometime make close to restorations but never a real restoration.

Overhauling usually modifies something.

I think the 56 Cadillac was redone stock except colors.

There was the the "Last Stingray" show was a restoration.

I would watch a restoration show how about you?

Maybe AACA needs to fund a project, hopefully the money would come back when a cable channel used it.

Let the younger TV watchin' generation know there is satisfaction in restoration. Restoring a car and finding NOS parts could be hard to do in the week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 31Ford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget the Model A Pickup that his former machine shop guy modified... at least he kept the body and bed, fenders stock.

I have to give him credit for that.

That T roadster looked like something I would've driven as is.. patina is the word.

What about that '32 B-400 that is in the background of most shows. It's a nice original car in one episode then it's all cut up. What a shame on a rare and desirable car like that!

And the 55 or 56 Chrysler 300......in the background too.. </div></div>

I've see an 810 / 812 Cord in the background on a few shows.

I have wondered to myself what awful fate awaits it. mad.gif

Jay,

I'd love to see a good restoration show. Something that is run by intellegent, hard working people that care about doing a good job on a restoration..instead of seeing yelling matches or watch the people do some activitiy totally unrelated to the premise of the show, such as go fishing or some other activity they really don't know how to do.

Perhaps one reason producers don't push for true restoration shows is because a worthwhile restoration can't be done in a week or two like the creations that are whipped together on American Chopper or American Hot Rod. Although their creations look great on the screen, I've heard from people that have seen some up close that the work is really quite shoddy and poor.

The "drama" between the employees is seems to be what drives the current "reality" car related shows and I think that is what the producers are really looking for. Unfortunately, they would rather have morons yell and throw tools at each other instead of discussing the 120 hours a restorer put into carefully repairing a hood ornament to prestine condition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My comment may have been inappropriate. However, I cringed 3 times already when his show used a car that there were plenty of "donor" vehicles or reproduction parts available. Why destroy something when there are other ways to do things. For me it is a matter of respect.

I have long admired many of Boyd's creations. I am not anti-street rod nor hot rods personally. However, in this day and age a builder has so many options to construct a great rod without using a complete car. Just my opinion.

If Boyd is here as I am told, I naturally hope that we all take the high road and don't stoop to a level that sometimes is exhibited on the show. We are better than that.</div></div>

I'm not anti street rod either Steve, but I still feel that Chip Foose has a better attitude and atmosphere in his shop. Anyone who has watched the shows has been able to figure out that Boyd can't keep his employees, where Chip can. If you've watched both "American Hot Rod" (Boyd Coddington) and "Overhaulin" (Chip Foose), you'll see where many of Boyd's employees have quit and gone to work for Chip Foose. For those that don't know the history between Boyd and Chip, Chip use to work for Boyd, he quit, started his own business, and now has taken many of Boyd's employees. There have been a few shows where Boyd has fired people for working with Chip on a part time basis, and during the show you can tell that Boyd has a serious axe to grind with Chip Foose. Chip is also a working boss, where Boyd isn't.

Personally I don't have any desire to approach Boyd, but I also don't believe that if Boyd walks around with the arrogant, egotistical attitude that he portrays on television, that he will feel welcome. As long as he doesn't try to wave his money around trying to buy either of our two trucks, I'll maintain my compusure.

Back to the show "American Chopper," they build some nice looking bikes, but up until recently, they ordered the frame, they bought a crate motor, they sent everything out to a paint shop, and put it together. Where is the talent?? It's easier to build something any way, but it is harder to restore something back to exact specs that was factory built. Orange County Choppers are really more of a motorcycle <span style="font-weight: bold">assembler</span> than they are motorcycle builders. But it is tough to keep the ratings up if it takes 1-6 months to build a motorcycle, so in order to keep the ratings going, they need to get the bikes together in less than two hours.

If you ever get a chance to see a motorcycle built by Orange County Choppers, you'll see nice paint jobs, but the chrome plater they use is terrible. Without sounding offensive to anyone, I've never been fully impressed with the chrome work done by 'The Bumper Boyz' but I will say that on a day that 'The Bumper Boyz' do their worst chrome, it is far better than anything done by the chrome plater that does all of the bikes on American Chopper.

Most of the shows that I've mentioned are on TLC (The Learning Channel) on Thursday nights. If you get the chance, watch the shows and you'll see the personalities and be able to make your own judgements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never seen Coddington or Foose on TV</div></div>

MC, you may have seen Boyd Coddington and Chip Foose and didn't realize it.

Boyd Coddington was the old guy with the beard who played a part in unveilling that buried 1957 Belvedere in Tulsa, Oklahoma back in June. He and his crew were going to try to get the car running.

Chip Foose does advertisements for Mothers car care products.

It's not real, guys. It's all make beleive. It's entertainment (although not for me). I've seen the guy from OCC say "this stuff is going to the chromer today, we need it back by tomorrow afternoon" HUH?.....GET REAL. Try 4 months if the guy likes you. Or...."This widget doesn't fit". (next scene) The Ole Man is on the phone swearing and bellowing at the supplier. (next scene) Supplier is hand delivering the correct part an hour later. YEAH RIGHT. It's all BS guys and nobody ever lost money under estimating the taste of the American public. Now I gotta go call up my rechrome guy, cuss him out and call his wife some names. I'll have my parts by tomorrow.....Bob

If someone plans a TV "Restoration Shop" series the toughest thing ahead of them is the DEGREE OF FINISH. Just because you take money from someone to work on their car doesn't mean it is restored. I worked is a restoration shop for 14 years far more stuff went out the door with a "driver" restoration than a "show" quality finish. You can guess the owner told everyone at a show what he spent on the work but NEVER told anyone he asked for and got a driver finish. Used to drive me nuts cutting corners.

ex98thdrill, I really don't think I have ever seen them at all...

While I did look at some of the online stuff about the 1957 Buried Plymouth. I did not see the show about it. (I'm really cheap about TV.... I only have broadcast basic cable.) grin.gif

Basically, I grew up in a small town with two TV Stations (ABC and NBC) about 50 miles away, that we received the old fashioned way... by antenna.

I don't think my kids need to spend that much time in front of a TV.... I figured out that my parents were right about that one many years ago, so I don't pay for a lot of channels that will encourage us to spend more time in front of the tube. wink.gif