All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. This man is documenting the installation of seat belts in his 1959 Chevy. This may help.
  3. That's an awesome New Yorker and I do like green! A few more pictures would be nice. I love the upholstery it looks so inviting. I would agree that the price is high but you're getting a whole lot of "nice car" for your money!
  4. I keep seeing this thread coming back up and kept thinking to myself, I hope the next time I see this thread pop up CChinn has announced he bought this car! Congrats, glad things worked out for you. As for the whitewalls, this is def. a car that should be sporting them. Now we need to see some pics in the great day for a ride thread!
  5. I gotta do this on my 29, I have put it on the back burner but I think it’s time To do it now
  6. I believe I have one might need to rechrome it but I get it out of my parts and send you a pic
  7. I can understand it getting out of the hands of Ford, lots of concept and show cars were released one way or the other, I think some were sent to the scarp yard. I dont think they were viewed as something extra special and 'museum' worthy when they were built just another concept of what ifs. Although they may be interested in something like that now. Maybe the asking price is too high for them or it just isnt what it is purported to be. Lots of cars have created history thats gets blended in and the truth gets lost over time and multiple owners.
  8. Station wagon fans, and Studebaker fans, should like this car. And it's probably realistically priced for what it is, and for its fine condition. Thanks, Steve, for posting this excellent find. Some car fan should buy it and equip it with 1950's luggage or picnic gear!
  9. This one is located in Littlestown PA. Not far from Reisterstown. Wonder if it one pictured in the book.
  10. Steve's (58L's) description is excellent. I'll just add that the trunk lid with the spare-tire impression was seen on a number of "enhanced" Lincolns of that era. You're right, it is not from the factory, but I believe it was a readily available after-market item. It is not home-made. I like the Lincolns of this generation with the original trunk lid. I think, however, the convertibles look good.
  11. Hi ,do you have these still available ? Thanks Bryan Costley
  12. My dad served on a battleship during WWII (USS Oklahoma), that is until the morning of Dec 7, 1941. He was a Pearl Harbor survivor.
  13. 1972 Ford Galaxie LTD, 4 door pillared hardtop. This was the final year the full size Ford was sold by Ford Australia. Note that the car on the cover of the sales brochure is wearing the Galaxie outer Grille sides However, all of the cars sold here had the correct LTD Grille. I hope that you readers enjoyed the history lesson.
  14. 1971 Ford Galaxie LTD, now available as a 4 door pillared hardtop
  15. Rod, Ford Australia never ever offered a Galaxie Convertible for sale here. The only body style that was on offer was a 4 door sedan from 1964 to 1968 For 1962, 1963 and 1964, the Compact Fairlane was all that was available. However, it appears Ford were losing customers to Chev and Pontiac with their full size cars, so started to offer the Galaxie in 1964. For 1969 and 1970, Ford Australia sold the LTD but decided to call these cars Galaxie LTD, again as a 4 door sedan. Then for 1971 and 1972, the body style was the 4 door pillared hardtop and was again called Galaxie LTD. The convertible you speak of would have had to be imported and converted to RHD here.
  16. Today
  17. That is one beautiful engine. That Winton reminds me of the Locomobile Sportif of that era.
  18. When I was a kid in high school, and just getting into this hobby, somewhat over fifty years ago, I subscribed to Hemmings Motor News magazine, which in those days was about the size of a "Reader's Digest" if you are old enough to remember those (from about thirty years ago?). In study hall, I would read it from cover to cover almost every month! I was also reading almost every book on antique automobiles and automotive history that I could get my hands onto. So, even then, I was somewhat familiar with the Tucker and its history. One of the things that struck me then was how many Tucker parts were for sale! Several collectors had gotten ahold of a bunch of the leftover Tucker parts and were trying to make a few bucks selling them off to people with dreams of building one. Legend has it that the engine was used for some early helicopters? I won't claim to know about that, but I do know that a bunch of those engines were floating around the country, some still in their factory crates! I actually saw a couple of them myself at a couple of shows, "Tucker" name on the engines and all! Occasionally, at major swap meets, one could see doors and hoods, sometimes a grill or other distinctive pieces, being offered or just displayed. Clearly, that stuff was out there. Slowly, that stuff seemed to quietly drift away. I always figured a few people thought they could collect enough pieces to assemble another car. When this car first showed up about a decade or so ago, I figured that it was likely assembled from some hidden collection of some real pieces along with deep pockets fabricating whatever else they needed. I don't wish to disparage the man too much. Preston Tucker was a brilliant engineer, with an eye to the future. He was also a huckster, a bit of a conman, and often putting together shaky deals. I "believe" he was truly hoping to throw the automotive industry on its ear with his groundbreaking designs. But even with government grants and loans, use of aircraft manufacturing plants left empty by the end of the war, he couldn't quite pull that rabbit out of his hat. I suspect that he ordered a lot of pieces to construct not just the first fifty cars, but a good start on the next fifty. How many pieces are still out there? We'll probably never know. While a few pieces might make a nice addition to display in a private collection? I do hope nobody else foolishly tries to build another one.
  19. A beautiful car. Budget a little extra time when you take her out. Your going to be having lots of talks with strangers. Thanks for sharing your interest, research and purchase with us.
  20. I am going to guess mourning ritual. Mirrors and other shiny objects were covered in that era.
  21. The definition of a good deal: When both the buyer and seller are happy! Congratulations on your new pre war car…..only problem……..you need more than one!
  22. Check over in the Riviera Forum as one of the members sells a suitable hi-torque mini starter that would suit. (Thinking it may be Tom Telesco but not 100% sure) cheers and good luck Rodney πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
  23. Interesting, what is the reason for covering the headlamps and sidelamps?
  1. Load more activity