The Ridgefield Meet === RIP

1937hd45

The field is still there, grass is freshly mowed, just as it would have been the first weekend after Labor Day. The Town of Ridgefield poured a half million dollars into the field to make a state of art soccer field and banned all automobiles from it around 1989 if my memory is correct. 1961 was the first year the Fairfield County HCCA held their Fall Meet and swap meet on Veterans Park Field. Gone are the MERCER Raceabouts, Stanley Steamers, White Steamers, Bugatti GP and road cars, Bentleys 3 and 4 1/2 liter, Stutz, Marmon, Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg, Stevens Duryea's, Cadillacs, Chevrolet, Franklin, Knox, Fords of every model and every other car truck and motorcycle from up to 1942 . Two hundred and fifty vehicles was the record. This photo was taken from East Ridge that overlooks the field. If you were there Old 16 and Peter Helck made a memorable entrance along this route. Years later Joel Finn would do the same with the ALCO Vanderbilt Cup winner. I'll never forget those days or the people that made the Pre WWII meet such a memorable event. Bob 

DSCF1175.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I remember that show very well and miss it. I remember also that I met you there just after getting my first Model T Ford. I bought a beautiful accessory steering wheel from you for peanuts and a lasting friendship ensued. I'll see you in Hershey, as always and maybe we can trade some parts.

Frank

• Like 2

Bob , I echo your words - I will never forget the annual car meet there as well. It was a pre war (WWII) car/vehicle show. And like you I saw Old 16 there as well several times. You could hear that car coming when it was a mile away!  A field full of full  classics - indeed a "field of dreams" One of the newest cars on the field for years was my 1941 Packard "120" station wagon, but I would also drive up in my 1931 Franklin Derham bodied Franklin victoria coupe - before and after restoration. Few cars were ever trailered , 90% plus were driven there , many from long island. Great stuff like George Miller's 1932 Studebaker President sedan, John Linhardt's 1934 Packard V12 LeBaron fastback coupe (now in the Bahre collection) , many many cars were in original unrestored condition. We were indeed lucky to have the privilege of being there to view such wonderful motor cars, we appreciated it then , but not as much as we should have. It was a very laid back low key affair.

There was an amazing flea market around the edge next to the fence loaded with parts, toys,  literature and memorabilia of vehicles of the pre war era. I still own the 1933 pressed steel toy Graham sedan that is 20 inches long that I bought in the flea market and later restored. Thank you for posting this photo, I can see the ghosts of the cars there still!

• Like 2

It was my favorite show in New England for years........the Loco Roadster from about 1924 was my favorite.

The tourister was at Pebble this year if I am not mistaken.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

The tan and brown 7 passenger 1929 Franklin touring car pictured below the Duesenberg photo was owned for decades by a fellow from New Jersey name Carl Fregonese . He was the nicest guy in the world, Carl also had an 1929 Auburn conv. sedan as well .  Carl told me his Franklin was bought new by a lady in Great Neck, long island and his Auburn was found in the village I live in (Floral Park, NY) about a mile and a half from my house (!) when I was only a young pup ( and yes I am now an old dog!) back in the early 1950s.

Bob these photos and recollections are great, thank yo so much.

35 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

1989 is nearly 30 years ago!!  I'm sure many town councillors have come and gone since that time.  Are you sure the current group are unfavorable to vintage cars as the one was back in 1989?

Craig

Car Club is gone along with most of the cars and their owners, it was fantastic while it lasted. The 1914 Arnold Bakery delivery truck sat in David Tunicks yard for years, Art Wilkinson rescued it and built a Speedster with the chassis. Pete Wing put the body on another chassis and it was on display at his castle in Millbrook, N.Y. Saved again by a Forum member, and now patterns for future bodies some were.  Bob 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

The 1914 Arnold Bakery delivery truck sat in David Tunicks yard for years, Art Wilkinson rescued it and built a Speedster with the chassis. Pete Wing put the body on another chassis and it was on display at his castle in Millbrook, N.Y. Saved again by a Forum member, and now patterns for future bodies some were.  Bob 

Your memory is amazing, Bob. We rescued the bakery truck as is crumbled to the ground and yes, it was only good for patterns. I never did see the finished product produced from the patterns. We had to strap that body down eight different ways to keep it together on the trip home. I miss Pete at the local shows. He sure was a colorful guy...

Frank

• Like 1

I remember that truck in Pete's yard and at some of the shows he displayed it at. He always wanted to put up a building but it never seemed to be in the budget. I was glad when he told me he let you fellows get it Frank as it was sad to see it just falling apart. Pete had good intentions, but also a full plate building that grand Castle that originally was suppose to take two or three years to complete. 40 some years later he was still building. He kept telling me before his untimely death that he had to stop adding on and finish up. Also maintaining what he had already built was getting to be very time consuming. Dandy Dave! 

The two photos I seam to be "allowed" to post today, 1928 Cadillac and 1906 Orient Buckboard. Ralph DeAngeles lost 4 teeth while starting that car one year. It is still owned by former region member. If Wings Castle rings a bell with any reader it was featured on American Pickers two years ago. I tried to post a link, but that doesn't work on this site either, please Google Wings Castle, Millbrook, N.Y.  yourself. Bob 

DSCF1180.JPG

DSCF1181.JPG

These photo's reminded me why I fell in love with this hobby! There was a thirst for knowledge and willingness to give advise them, seems to have gotten lost at the local level at here on Long Island anyway. I am thankful I still find that comradery at AACA National Meets.

There is a pre-war show this Sunday 9/9 at Sagamore HIll, it is the last gasp of the old days. I was there a few years ago with my 31 Chevy, I was unable to attend the past few years, but it is still going on, I live close enough I stop over

https://www.nps.gov/sahi/planyourvisit/calendar.htm

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The red boat tail in photo #9 is a 1923 Austro Daimler it was found in the garage when a house was sold here in town less than a mile from the show field in the late 1950's. Hastings Foote owned it in the 1930's, he was an ARCA member and fairly good race car driver. I found the ARCA ID Plate for his Type 30 Bugatti at another Connecticut meet years ago. Bill Oexle restored the car, it is some were in Austria today. 

Bob

1937hd45  said

"I'm not "allowed" to post more photos, kind of sad, I had hoped to keep this thread rolling.  I'm off to the HAMB, I can post photos of my Hot Rods there all night long and people seam to enjoy them. Good night. "

Don't be so sure that is the right solution. "Upgraded" sites may seem better on some levels, but they fail miserably on others. I used to read the HAMB a lot because there were several people researching and posting incredible information and photos of early racing (which I love!). However, about maybe three years ago, they "upgraded" their site. and I haven't been able to see any of it since. "Upgrading" the MTFCI's forum site KILLED it a few years ago.

Where I live, there is no cable service, no AT&T DSL, and satellite is extremely expensive and quite unreliable. The "barely a DSL" service I can get is a little more than twice the download speed of old dial-up service.

I am not a fan of Facebook to begin with, but for several years, every time they "improved" their site, it became more and more problematical whether I could look at something or not. I haven't been able to see any of it for a few years now (my apologies to the several people that keep sending "friend" requests, I can't even sign in to contact them and say "sorry" and why).

The problem is the "gamers" that design most websites. They live in a fantasy gamer's world where  absolutely everyone has unlimited high speed. They are so busy bragging about all they have done that they never consider all the places they have failed to reach. It doesn't have to be that way. There are hundreds of commercial sites that load a great deal of information that I have no trouble with at all. If a site is properly set up, it will work for practically everyone with even a poor ISP. 

A hobby site MUST have a few people as moderators and hosts that understand this, and can take the effort to find a program and a programmer that can and will meet their needs.

Also, Bob, I don't understand why it should be that this site "does not allow" you to post more photos? Clearly, some other regular posters on this site are able to post many photos (sometimes more than a dozen on some car show threads!).  Sadly, I am not the one to offer to help. I have only posted a few photos on this site myself, and that was before my old computer crashed. I haven't figured this one out yet.

I've brought this issue to the attention of the admins and mods and am working to figure out what is causing this problem.

I ask any member who had been unable to post more than two pictures before getting the 'not allowed' warning to email (not PM) me the two pictures than triggered that problem. 

Also, when you start a new reply, at the bottom left of the posting block is a statement like this:

"Accepted file types:...  Max file size xxxMB."

If you would please email me with the list of file types shown and the number that appears before 'MB', that would be helpful as well.

My email address is: greg@slotblog.net.

TIA for any help provided. If anyone has any questions about the info I am requesting, please query me using the same email address.

On 9/8/2018 at 6:22 AM, wayne sheldon said:

I can't even sign in to contact them and say "sorry" and why.

A hobby site MUST have a few people as moderators and hosts that understand this, and can take the effort to find a program and a programmer that can and will meet their needs.

Clearly, some other regular posters on this site are able to post many photos (sometimes more than a dozen on some car show threads!)

Wayne, if you cannot "even sign in to contact them," my assumption has to be that there is a problem on your end, rather than with Facebook. There are way too many people using Facebook for it to be otherwise.

The AACA forum utilizes one of the most popular and respected commercial forum software packages (IP.Board) to provide this interactive place. It is simply not very feasible to "find a program and a programmer that can and will meet their needs." Commercial software packages of this size and complexity are produced and maintained by large teams of programmers.

"... some other regular posters on this site are able to post many photos."

Exactly and this is the crux of the matter. If some members easily are able to insert numerous photos in a post and others cannot, there is a problem that needs to be identified and addressed. As an AACA member who has run a similar IP.Board forum for over a decade (one that currently has over half a million posts and where members have no problem adding 20 images or more to a post), I believe I have the experience to help address the problem. I posted regarding this issue in the mods private forum on Friday morning asking for feedback and info and so far, have received one reply expressing an assessment of the issue that doesn't fit the data I have. I posted in this thread early last evening requesting members submit data to me that might help point to a solution and have received not a single response so far.

Yes, some members have slow or poor connections and/or may not be as computer literate as others, but IMO neither of those factors are likely to be relevant to this issue.

• Like 1

Bob, thanks again for bringing this great memory back. We've discussed this before about a 17 year old car nut following Old 16 down NY Route 22 to this meet which was my first ever antique car show. Wow what an impression it made on my life! I apologize for poor photos taken by a cheap camera 50 years ago and now viewed through a sealed plastic album page at least that old. Imagine the joy in me to see a fully restored example of a 1932 Plymouth as I had just acquired the exact same model and had great plans on bringing it back from the dead and just had to get a picture of me standing along side it and dreaming of the day I could take the same picture of my own Plymouth.  The Duesenberg  stuck in my mind not only for what it was but it was for sale for $50,000 which seemed to me a bargain even then. Hope some will remember these cars and add details unknown to me.  The double cockpit Bugatti  wowed me as I had never even seen pictures of such a body and though what a great idea to combine wooden boat styling with cars. Wish I'd had enough film to capture the whole car as well as others there  that day.

Howard Dennis

32 Ply 3.JPG

Arm 2.JPG

Bug 1.JPG

Duesy 1.JPG

Duesy 3 - Copy.JPG

Hisso 2.JPG

Hisso 7.JPG

Loco 1.JPG

Mercer 2.JPG

Renault 1.JPG

• Like 2

Close to where I found the above photos I also found 2 of Joel Finn's Alco and at first thought they were taken at the Ridgefield meet but after examining the large lawn and huge trees now believe they were taken on the massive lawn of the Vanderbilt Estate in Hyde Park New York. A very fitting location for a Vanderbilt Cup winner.

Howard Dennis

Alco 2.JPG

Alco 3.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hddennis said:

Close to where I found the above photos I also found 2 of Joel Finn's Alco and at first thought they were taken at the Ridgefield meet but after examining the large lawn and huge trees now believe they were taken on the massive lawn of the Vanderbilt Estate in Hyde Park New York. A very fitting location for a Vanderbilt Cup winner.

Howard Dennis

Alco 2.JPG

Alco 3.JPG

Just realized after I posted these pictures of the Alco that early in my life  I followed 2 Vanderbilt cup racers being driven on public roads onto an antique car meet field. Bet not many have had that privilege! If anyone has ever entered the Vanderbilt Estate in Hyde Park New York try to imagine the beauty of that drive way and views being awakened to the popping roar of this beast, quite a privilege indeed!

Howard Dennis

Hddennis,

I believe your pictures 6 & 7 are of the 26 Hispano Suiza owned by Joe Weider of Long Island NY, at that time. My introduction to the antique hobby was with a Port Washington NY neighbor who had a 30 Hiso limo and was kind enough to take me to many car shows and private Hiso/Bugatti meets on LI., back in the mid and late 1970's.  Joe's Hiso was a regular feature at many LI car shows. Last time I saw Joe and his Hiso was at a Hiso/Bugatti meet held on Dieter Holterbosch's LI. estate.  

Thanks for the memory. 

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

51 minutes ago, PFitz said:

Hddennis,

I believe your pictures 6 & 7 are of the 26 Hispano Suiza owned by Joe Weider of Long Island NY, at that time. My introduction to the antique hobby was with a Port Washington NY neighbor who had a 30 Hiso limo and was kind enough to take me to many car shows and private Hiso/Bugatti meets on LI., back in the mid and late 1970's.  Joe's Hiso was a regular feature at many LI car shows. Last time I saw Joe and his Hiso was at a Hiso/Bugatti meet held on Dieter Holterbosch's LI. estate.  

Thanks for the memory. 

Paul

Paul, Thank you for the info on the Hispano-Suiza, I remember the car at the Ridgefield Meet. Last time I saw it it was jet black and on the lawn at Pebble Beach. So many Ridgefield Meet cars went on to be restored or RErestored and go on to famous collections  and shows. Bob 

Thanks Dean! That was 1967 and we took photos of the same cars. The blue and white MERCER belonged to Bill Oexle, and was restored in time to win a First Junior at Hershey in 1970, and MERCER Plaque for the year. It was the first AACA winner I got to work on and his degree of finish was always perfection, I learned a lot hanging out and working at his shop. …………………… I've reached my Two a Day limit on photos, tomorrow I'll post a photo of Ken Purdy's Type 44 Bugatti, that beautiful green one. Bob

Just noticed my Dad's '31 roadster in the last photo, 35 years since it has been out and about. 

DSCF1254.JPG

DSCF1252.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Paul, Thank you for the info on the Hispano-Suiza, I remember the car at the Ridgefield Meet. Last time I saw it it was jet black and on the lawn at Pebble Beach. So many Ridgefield Meet cars went on to be restored or RErestored and go on to famous collections  and shows. Bob 

Yes, as has my friend's 30 Hiso H6C.

He sold it back in the 1980's to someone from Wales. I've seen pix on the internet of it at Pebble Beach. There are other pix that I think are in Wales (?) if you google 30 Hispano Suiza H6C Cabriolet De Ville. It's the dark brown body with black fenders and top. 

It looks like it's been repainted a similar brown, but otherwise it's all glammed up with things it never had on it when my friend bought it used from a LI. Vanderbilt Estate  back in the 1940's. It was originally maroon, but there was a color communication mixup when my friend had it restored in (1960's ?) Barcelona Spain by former Hiso workers . 

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

So Bob, you mean one of my first collector car photos was of the great author Ken Purdy's car? Boy, I used to love the way he wrote about the great cars! You almost came away from his description of a ride smelling of gasoline and old grease, white knuckled and windblown but hooked forever!

Howard Dennis

Yes, You had a good eye for cars too. Gus Reuter painted the Bugatti in "Bottle Green", it sure was a great looking car. Ken Purdy had a Frasier - Nash with a Blackburn 6, the Type 44 and a Morgan three wheeler when I worked at Vintage. Last time I saw the Type 44 was in Bunny Phillips shop in California in 1975.It is on my list of cars to buy when I win the lottery. I don't think Ken Purdy kept cars for long, maybe 5 years before moving on, he lived in Wilton about  four miles down the road from me. You know that part in Kings of the Road where he talks about driving his T head MERCER Raceabout at speed, and the engine cylinders would fire at each passing phone pole?  That is the straight stretch of Rt 33, and I pretend to have a MERCER every time I drive it. Bob

DSCF1257.JPG

• Like 2