Who's Going to Denver

MrEarl

Who's going and what's your itinerary? Driving (what) or flying? When arriving?  Where are you staying. What ya doing, tours, just hangin at a bar or? Going to the BHA or Awards Banquet? Any suggestions for us all getting together somewhere?

Just registered on line so guess it is official for me and Rita. The wagon nor the airstream is ready so will be flying in on Thursday.  Stayin at the Marriott (just look for the knapsack, sterno and Spam cans in the bushes) Will try and make the General Membership meeting Thurs evening. Taking the train to the Botanical Gardens on Friday. Opted out of the banquets and donated to the Bugle instead so will be looking to hang with others somewhere Friday and Saturday night.Will probably dress up a bit and crash the Award Banquets social though. ?

Reeally looking forward to seeing everyone as it has been a WHILE!!!!!

edit) anyone on the fence about going, come on!!!  still not to late to register    I mean after all, who knows when the next chance to see me will be. :wacko::):lol::lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BUICK RACER said:

In the bar after the Membership meeting!

I think there will be a lot of people who will be doing that... 

I'll be there with my wife in my 1991 Reatta coupe. We're taking a roundabout way through New Orleans, San Antonio, New Mexico and such. 

When we get there Tuesday afternoon, we'll be staying at the host hotel. We'll be attending the Reatta Rendezvous Thursday, the Rambler Ranch cookout, and the awards banquet. We'll be doing some touring on our own too. I'm not too interested in paying money to sit on a bus when I drove my car there.

Looking forward to seeing you all there! 

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, NCReatta said:

I'm.nit too interested in paying money to sit on a bus when I drove my car there.

I think many feel that way & should bring it up for discussion with the meet committee. 

I believe all tour venues should be available without paying for a bus and include club discounts when arriving in a Buick.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

I think many feel that way & should bring it up for discussion with the meet committee. 

I believe all tour venues should be available without paying for a bus and include club discounts when arriving in a Buick.

Tours were originally set up so the womenfolk would have something to do, now completely out of hand, and the swap meet vendors suffer. I don't want to go on a bus anywhere ever anyway.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

The membership meeting would probably be more interesting if we met in the bar before the meeting but after sounds good to me.

No... the membership meeting would be best if it was simply held at the bar...

• Like 3

We'll be taking one of our fleet of private planes out...you know the ones that say American Airlines on the side...that we will share with like 150 other people

Actually used some of those frequent flier miles to book the wife and kids...I paid for my flight so I can replace some of those miles...

Our only must do is the Clive Cussler car Museum...though I'm trying to talk the wife into getting some fake IDs for the boys and heading to Coors...?

3 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

We'll be taking one of our fleet of private planes out...you know the ones that say American Airlines on the side...that we will share with like 150 other people

Actually used some of those frequent flier miles to book the wife and kids...I paid for my flight so I can replace some of those miles...

Our only must do is the Clive Cussler car Museum...though I'm trying to talk the wife into getting some fake IDs for the boys and heading to Coors...?

they have free soft drinks at the brewery, fake ids aren't they still a bit too young or you just want extra samples??? LOL!

• Haha 1

You should got to the Fornay Museum of Transportaion.  They have a Big Boy Steam Engine that is said to develop 7000 HP.

It was the steam engine used to pull trains overt the local mountain range.  

They are hard to find now days. 

• Like 2

????

Not happening this year...sigh. 

Planning for for next year but a lot of my schedule isn’t known until closer to the date ?? At least there will be no more graduations to interfere. 

As for seeing MrEarl, this devil may just need to go down to Jawja. 

11 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Well come on down!

Sorry to hear you won’t be making it this year Derek, always look forward to seeing you and your family.

Just waiting for all the fencing and construction to be done ?

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2018 at 4:12 PM, 38Buick 80C said:

Hey Brian: Skip the Coors Brewery and go a bit farther to Ft Collins and tour the New Belgium Brewery. Home of Fat Tire Beer. Great funky place, I. think. kids are allowed. I can check for you . The former taste room guy (just retired) is a friend. You know me - always know people in the right places.

• Like 3

On 5/25/2018 at 12:49 PM, Mark Shaw said:

Mark: This is a dilemma that the National Meet Committee and the host Chapter face with every National . Trying to establish a balance so that vendors taking the time , effort and expense to come to a National Meet , verses the demand for tours. The bus issue is another thing altogether. We have a lot of members that fly in to meets, and need transportation to tour venues. Often members can also drive their cars if there is sufficient room to park at the venue. Each National presents its own set of challenges and opportunities and all we can do is to look at them one at a time. The National Meet Committee meeting is open to all members, and we as a committee welcome suggestions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:12 AM, 38Buick 80C said:

The Coors is really enticing, but the tyranny of distance means I'll be a no show!

https://www.travelmath.com/flying-distance/from/Perth,+Australia/to/Denver,+CO

As someone involved with the tours at Allentown, we tried to have both bus tours and some self-driving tours.  For the covered bridge tours we tried a posting for sharing tours, but no one every filed out cards indicating a willingness to take some visitors without cars, especially our international visitors, an opportunity, These bus tours we predicated on the distances travelled from Allentown.  I was not aware of any real complaints, other than one bus getting a bit lost and delayed.  As you, Jack, opened this door, welcoming comments at the National Meet Committee, perhaps we can get some comments on this forum to see what everyone thinks.   I know everything costs more these days, and now gas prices are rising almost daily, but I feel these trips most surely filling a need, especially the seem to be filling up each year. So, HOW ABOUT IT EVERYONE, DO YOU THING BUS TRIP ARE USEFUL IF WE HAVE THE PROPER VENUE?  Personally, I think self-driving trips should be sought out and directed, much as is now done by the BDE, PWD and Reatta and other groups.  But, as always, there are some factors, such a s a few volunteers to organize the travel and seeking discounts just for showing up with a Buick.  I believe we had that in Allentown at AOW Museum and the smaller Hudson (?) museum.

So lets hear some comments from forum uses so we have some sort of sample, please so Jack can determine and the NMC can determine how to proceed.

• Thanks 1

I think before making a definitive comment, I would be interested in the cost breakdown. We are typically five at the National when we go. If half the cost is for the bus, I can often buy a lot of fuel with that (I.e. tour to Norte Dame in 2013). The other factor for me is which car(s) I have at a meet, in terms of convenience or comfort for a driving tour. We generally have to drive at least two days to get to the meet, so in some respects I’d rather not drive until it’s time to head home. 

There’s lots of factors. 

On on another note, perhaps this discussion merits its own thread. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jack Welch said:

Hey Brian: Skip the Coors Brewery and go a bit farther to Ft Collins and tour the New Belgium Brewery. Home of Fat Tire Beer. Great funky place, I. think. kids are allowed. I can check for you . The former taste room guy (just retired) is a friend. You know me - always know people in the right places.

The Blue Moon brewery is right in Denver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thriller said:

on another note, perhaps this discussion merits its own thread. 

Thank you Derek. Thank you very much. In other words, while the subject is worthy of discussion if ya'll could start a thread of your own to discuss it, THAT WOULD BE GREAT. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jack Welch said:

skip the Coors Brewery and go a bit farther to Ft Collins and tour the New Belgium Brewery. Home of Fat Tire Beer. Great funky place

18 minutes ago, RivNut said:

The Blue Moon brewery is right in Denver

So many breweries, so little time. Surely one of them is on the way to or from the Botanical Gardens. Thanks guys for the info

• Haha 1

Based on the complexity of the tour discussion and the fact that it already beyond the Denver Meet and actually beyond the Oklahoma City Meet to make changes at this point, I will try and start a new thread to get opinions about what members would prefer to do on future National Meet tours , and likes . dislikes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Thriller said:

Well Mark, in a month or two, the Bugle wrap will have 2019 registration with tours and prices so it makes sense it is already planned out. The bigger the group, the longer the logistics need for planning. 

That is correct, the pricing, listing for the Bugle, etc is all done and has been ready for awhile. The fact of the matter is, we have a variety of tours, planned, thanks to Pete Philips and his crew. I think there will be something for everybody . The new suggestions thread is up and ready for constructive comments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

If the @#(&@@#$%^&*(  torque ball cooperates.

Ben

This is one of many issues I have to deal with too...

I plan on registering and coming up maybe Friday evening and definitely Saturday.  Hopefully I'll be driving the '54, but my daily driver 63 Skylark will be there if not.  I'll be parking out with the other riff-raff in the parking lot.

For those looking to imbibe there are many breweries and distilleries close by.  Coors tour is good, but Boulder is a ways away. 

Here are a couple of helpful websites with interactive maps:

Colorado Brewery list

Drinker's Guide to Colorado

There are at least half a dozen close by the Hotel.

If you are looking to partake of other things recently legalized in Colorado, you are on your own.  ?

Scott

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NCReatta said:

Did I miss the thread about forum breakfast? 

No there has't been a breakfast the last couple of years because too many of us wish or "have" to attend the Board of Directors Meeting at 8AM, Last year we met in the parking lot on Thursday evening, and in Allentown, we met at a restaurant for dinner. 

6 hours ago, BUICK RACER said:

No there has't been a breakfast the last couple of years because too many of us wish or "have" to attend the Board of Directors Meeting at 8AM, Last year we met in the parking lot on Thursday evening, and in Allentown, we met at a restaurant for dinner. 

Yeah, I was aware of that, just wasn't sure if there was anything planned for this year yet

Just now, 38Buick 80C said:

Marck I think you just volunteered to organize it...So where and when are we meeting fine sir...

Let's hold it in conjunction with the Reatta Rendezvous. Already organized and we could use a few more people! 

• Like 1