Facebook Marketplace: Any Experiences Goood or Bad?

Harold

28 minutes ago, Harold said:

My ongoing quest to simplify and downsize keeps me looking for more places to run ads.  I heard about Facebook Marketplace and was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with it.  All comments welcome.

Thanks,

Harold

I've only been a buyer, but this is one of the main reasons why I put up with all the crap on FB.  I found a smoking deal on a completely rust free Cutlass shell in Phoenix, for example.

Not sure about fb marketplace in the general sensd but the pages specific to certain marques are pretty good.  Bought and sold a few parts, all with good results.

This week we finally replaced a small trim item, a gauge bezel or button, that was missing from the MB 560 SL.  Went missing after major surgery last year, one year lator, finally found one! ?

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I tried it for the first time recently.  I advertised my 1965 Impala for sale (also listed in the cars for sale section).  I've had a few questions about the car, but no action from fb.  It seems to be the same as craigslist.

12 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

My BEST experiences, as a seller, have been through HEMMINGS.

I've sold cars through both Craigslist and Hemmings (I don't have a FB account) and found that you'll get a higher caliber of potential buyer through Hemmings than through Craigslist. Of course CL is free so you can't complain if you get stupid questions or lowball offers and Hemmings charges $99 but for that you usually get more intelligent questions plus Hemmings reaches people all over the world whereas CL only reaches people in your local area. If you're not in a big hurry put them on CL for a week or two and if they don't sell then use Hemmings and make sure you put a detailed description of the car with lots of pictures instead of one pic and "call for more info" and no description. Good luck.... :)

I had a brand new kitchen table and chairs still in the box and sold them on marketplace. The set was valued at $350 and I was asking $200. The first comment from several people was is the price negotiable? I said no and sold the set for my $200 asking price in two days.

<tinfoil hat>

It is important to remember that if a service (like Facebook) is free, YOU are the product they are selling to someone else. FB has recently proven that they can't be trusted with your information even a little bit. Regardless of how thoroughly you think you've covered your tracks, the system is always watching and even if you don't care that they know what you do on FB, there's information out there that probably will make you care. For instance, thanks to the recent data breach through Cambridge Analytics, we know that Facebook knows who you talk to on your cell phone and they collect your text messages--even if you don't use your phone to view FB. I don't have a Facebook account, but my business does. It knew what I bought on eBay using a separate eBay account from my business. Names are not similar, no way for it to know. Except it does, likely by watching my IP and what I buy. It knows I buy Buick parts, so it shows me Buick parts. I find this deeply unsettling, not handy and harmless.

You and your life are the product Facebook is selling to others, including Russia. Keep that in mind...

</tinfoil hat>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harold said:

Is there a way to post on Facebook Marketplace with an alias?  I'm not too keen on posting using my real name.

Yes there is (but this is just between us). I have a FB account under the name Clarence Rutherford so I can play a game called Words With Friends. Older people who watched a lot of TV as kids (most of us) will probably remember who Clarence is. As long as you use a valid email address you should be able to open an account there....

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

I agree completely that free websites make their money by mining and selling personal data.    It's only going to get worse as time goes on. 

My concern with Marketplace is that I don't want to publish my full name.  I want to be in control of any interactions and transactions that take place.  Since it's easy to get a home address from a name and city my personal security can be compromised.   My usual routine with Craigslist is to meet the buyer in our local Best Buy parking lot.  I don't know where they come from and they don't know where I come from.   Anonymity is good.

PS to Lebowski:  I'm sure Fred would be proud of how Clarence turned out....

39 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I remember that Lumpy had a beat up hot rod the last year of the show. Any idea what kind it was-a Ford maybe?

I think it was a 1940 Ford.  There was one episode where the boys were going to the dump to get new fenders for Lumpy's car.  Possibly the earliest Recycling Center ever mentioned on TV!

18 minutes ago, Harold said:

I think it was a 1940 Ford.  There was one episode where the boys were going to the dump to get new fenders for Lumpy's car.  Possibly the earliest Recycling Center ever mentioned on TV!

There were a lot of cool cars on that show including Ward's '58 Edsel wagon....

beav134b.2046.jpg

Facebook will reach many young people that you likely will not reach by any other website. The flip-side of that, is that there are millions of people that may be interested that will NEVER look at facebook.

Personally, I despise facebook. I worked for many years in cutting edge technology, even designing and building some of the foundations of the internet. Facebook epitomizes everything I hated about what followed, the game playing, lies, countless promises that nobody intends to keep. Those are reasons why sites like that mine and sell information. I do have a facebook account, and home page. For several reasons, I haven't signed into it in several years. One problem I have with them as well as many websites, is that they clutter their sites with so much BULL-(smelly stuff!), that I and millions of other people cannot use their site due to the limited internet access outside of the major metropolitan areas that most geeks exist. Where I live, there is NO local cable company service, no receivable WIFIs, and my "barely a DSL" phone line operates at only about twice the speed of a good dial-up service. (Even satellite is spotty, and satellite internet security highly questionable.) The few times I have tried to sign into my FB  account? I couldn't because the download failed before I could sign in.

The only reason I haven't closed my account is that facebook sends me notices almost every day about old friends that I rarely hear from otherwise. I do kind of like that. Sometimes when I get a birthday reminder, I make the effort to contact the friend directly myself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Personally, I despise facebook.

Ditto.   Unrelated,  but people need to take a hard look in the mirror and think about what they share to the rest of the world.

As far as the marketplace in general,   I feel that if you can't sell a car using cl, ebay, hemmings, marque specific forum, or land auction,  then maybe the car isn't worth what you think it is.

Harold,  I would start with marque specific forums with maybe a link to a CL ad.  For better cars, eBay and Hemmings.  For even better cars,  give it to one of the dealers on this forum.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I’ve been in the magazine service work most of my career (1970 - present, I got started late but had fun in my youth) .  I did the circulation fulfillment (processed the mailing list) for well over 150 magazines. The biggest income we had was processing list for advertising mailings better known as “junk” mail. When I told people what we knew about them and the companies they worked for they were shocked. That was just from doing logarithm processes against known demographics of tax rolls, voting list and census info. You might say that was the Stone Age of demographic forecasts for advertising purposes. Today with the computer/cell phone/social media use they can tell a lot more than we ever did and soon if not already they we’ll probably be able to tell you what tooth has a new cavity starting. No one in business gives away a service without a motive for profit. As they say information is power and power is everything. Facebook has 90+% of the industry, they have no real competition (Instagram and others like it don’t really have a chance) Facebook has the power. Use it with caution and knowledge they are using you. 

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guys you might be missing the boat by closing the door on marque specific fb pages.  The r107 SL page for example has around 5,000 members give or take.  One assumes most have a car or are looking to buy and sell.  What I find is that venue is better for event updates and buy, sell.  Lots of owner pics.   The more traditional Benzworld r107 forum is much better for technical discussion.  I think AJ once noted fb is user centric while formats like this are more topic centric.  Seems true, i will say i like both tools, but retain the right to shut off the virtual world in favor of a nice drive of productive session in the garage! ?

• Like 1