Still stalking the nicest original Riviera on the planet

Seafoam65

I just checked in yesterday with a car enthusiast/customer of mine who's Uncle is the original owner

of a 6,000 mile 63 Riviera that is in perfect pristine condition still running on it's original tires.....only the battery and engine

oil and filter have ever been changed. I mentioned this car a year ago, and the family still refuses to sell while the owner is still

alive, he just refuses to let it go. His diabetes is getting worse and recently had to have one leg amputated. He is unable to drive

now, so his daughter starts the car up periodically and runs it through the gears to keep the engine in good shape. I've never been lucky

enough to buy a car like this, but it is exciting thinking about the possibility. The way my luck is he will leave it to a relative who turns it into a low rider! For those of you who didn't read my original post regarding this car, when it was only a few months old the owner and his wife got into a big argument because her high heel punched a hole in the passenger floor mat, and she then refused to ever ride in the car or even acknowledge it's existence, so he socked it away, driving it every couple of months for several miles at 5 a.m. so as not to be exposed to traffic. the car has never

been wet even once, he always wiped it down after every use, never running a water hose on it. the most amazing thing is that he lives in an apartment and has paid storage on a garage down the street from his dwelling to store it in for 53 years! 

Current value of this car is definitely astronomical in comparison to turning into a custom project. If it so happens it gets handed down you should try to convince whoever gets it that it is worth so much more the way it is and to sell it at a Barrett Jackson auction than turn it into a low rider.(Would rather see it kept in a garage of a person who never uses it or would use it than have its originality ruin, just my opinion).Besides, with the money they could just buy a less expensive riv and turn it into a custom project and still have some money left over. Though convince them first to keep it, If they do want to keep it this would still be a good argument to present to the proud new owner. 

What color is the interior and paint? Just curious. 

Edited for clarification. 

Edited by offdensen (see edit history)

Diplomat blue with blue interior.  If I am ever able to buy it, I will do the same with it as the original owner......drive it

every once in a while just to keep up the mechanicals, keep it garaged and covered and take it to shows in an enclosed trailer. I have other old cars that I drive so that wouldn't be a problem. I'd like to take it to the Bloomington Gold Survivor show and show it in survivor

in the BCA and the Riviera Owners Association meets. This car has never been shown and rarely seen by

any of the public unless they were up before dawn in his neighborhood. Also, since the maintenance drives were at 5 a.m. the car hasn't been exposed to the sun since 1963! Unfortunately, I had a chance to buy a 73 Trans Am Super Duty 455 with a similar story at a ridiculously low price and a relative snatched it away from me after we had already done a handshake deal on it. The guy that bought it kept it for five years and sold it for 100,000 dollars more than he paid for it. I still wake up in cold sweats over that deal

that blew up in my face ten years ago.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

I DEFINITELY wouldn't sell it at Barrett Jackson. I think they have done more to hurt this hobby, indirectly, than anything else. Bunch of guys in a room with lots of money, all drinking cocktails, and driving up

prices on cars that aren't worth half of what these folks give for them. As a seller, I guess you could make out like a bandit, but it sure would be a shame to let a car this pristine go. I think this forum or the ROA classifieds would bring much more interest from people who really know how to appreciate these cars.

Barrett Jackson was just the first thing that came to mind. I'm sure the best thing for it would be an ROA member as you suggested or someone in the aaca(or any classic club, just needs to be passionate.), though. Someone who is passionate about Rivs and the such. 

Just make sure that if you do get a chance to drive it, you're very careful riding on 50+ year old tires.  I think the industry standard now is 7 years old before they're subject to dry rot, etc.

What a great find.  If you need help, I'm sure that each and everyone of us will be more than glad to add our expertise to a letter of recommendation for you.

Ed

Its also not always a bad thing for vehicles to be handed down in the family. Of course as long as they are respected and cherished properly. We inherited a beautiful 64 Riviera from Grandfather that he purchased new and my hopes are that it, along with other Rivieras, are passed down in the family to be loved and provide wonderful memories that strengthen family connectivity. I do always find it suppressing how quick family members are sometime to sell off estate vehicle, ESPECIALLY when they are excellent Rivieras. Like that gold MZ that sold not so long ago. You can always get more money, but these cars are certainly worth more than gold in how they continue to gain well deserved value. 

That being said. Good luck on fulfilling and acquiring your dream. I know what it feels like to have unicorns get away with a  lingering regret, yet with patients, an even more appropriate and magical unicorn shall appear for the hunt. Be ready...

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

Question on this Riv. Since it is all original I think this will be a good place to start. I've seen two different kinds of washer bottle labels so far, one that says Buick and the other well known GM label. Do you recall what washer bottle label it had on it? This is something that's bugged me for awhile. 

what I have been told is that he had a schedule where he would drive the car every two months on Sunday morning if it wasn't raining. He

has been very careful to not let it sit too long between being driven......he is very eccentric and has treated caring for the car like some

sort of religion.

6 minutes ago, offdensen said:

Question on this Riv. Since it is all original I think this will be a good place to start. I've seen two different kinds of washer bottle labels so far, one that says Buick and the other well known GM label. Do you recall what washer bottle label it had on it? This is something that's bugged me for awhile. 

sorry, I don't possess any pics of the car although I have seen them a while ago......I can't answer your question, but I'm sure there

are knowledgeable people on the forum that know the answer to your question

Echo Ed's remarks re 50 year old bias belted tires. My all original, one owner 63 with 24K miles had similar care by original owner. It also had bias belted tires. After 50 years the tires were "cracking" and not safely drivable and, much of the other rubber - belts, hoses, trim rubber, etc had also deteriorated even 'tho it is a California car and was kept in controlled temperature storage all its life. Hope you get the car but advise you plan on (budget for- my costs for replacement/re-new so far is about $5,000) thorough inspection and restoration of essential systems, i.e., exhaust ( the original cross flow mufflers were notorious for rusting out due to condensation from not running often enough), cooling, brakes, fuel, suspension (shock absorbers and rubber suspension parts), transmission seals, timing gear/chain, electrical, etc.  Think you might likely find - as was my case - most of the systems mentioned will have to be re-newed/replaced: Even down to fuel lines, brake lines and cylinders and even light bulbs and other electrical connectors. Bottom line: low mileage, rarely driven cars suffer faster deterioration than well driven cars. Good luck and hope this one doesn't get away from you.  

13 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

I just checked in yesterday with a car enthusiast/customer of mine who's Uncle is the original owner

of a 6,000 mile 63 Riviera that is in perfect pristine condition still running on it's original tires.....only the battery and engine

oil and filter have ever been changed. I mentioned this car a year ago, and the family still refuses to sell while the owner is still

alive, he just refuses to let it go. His diabetes is getting worse and recently had to have one leg amputated. He is unable to drive

now, so his daughter starts the car up periodically and runs it through the gears to keep the engine in good shape. I've never been lucky

enough to buy a car like this, but it is exciting thinking about the possibility. The way my luck is he will leave it to a relative who turns it into a low rider! For those of you who didn't read my original post regarding this car, when it was only a few months old the owner and his wife got into a big argument because her high heel punched a hole in the passenger floor mat, and she then refused to ever ride in the car or even acknowledge it's existence, so he socked it away, driving it every couple of months for several miles at 5 a.m. so as not to be exposed to traffic. the car has never

been wet even once, he always wiped it down after every use, never running a water hose on it. the most amazing thing is that he lives in an apartment and has paid storage on a garage down the street from his dwelling to store it in for 53 years! 

Regardless of what happens to this car, I would like to work with you to arrange some access to it to document details on it in pictures.  Can you help me with that?

Feel free to email me any time to discuss, or call me: two-eight-one three-two-oh oh-four-six-five

This is like a time capsule.

Guest Kaber

WOW,  Seafoam, That sounds like a great car! And you gotta dig Diplomat Blue with a blue interior!!! Pretty much that same story as ours except the 100+ thousand miles, barn storage, mouse infestation and Hot Rodding! LOL!!! Hope it works out for you, and sorry about the Trans Am. Was it Green?

r2_zpsf8ec0740.jpg

Good Luck, Kaber

"I mentioned this car a year ago, and the family still refuses to sell while the owner is still

alive, he just refuses to let it go."

Have you talked directly to the owner?  If you haven't, maybe you should try.  Family members may have their own agendas.

3 hours ago, Kaber said:

WOW,  Seafoam, That sounds like a great car! And you gotta dig Diplomat Blue with a blue interior!!! Pretty much that same story as ours except the 100+ thousand miles, barn storage, mouse infestation and Hot Rodding! LOL!!! Hope it works out for you, and sorry about the Trans Am. Was it Green?

r2_zpsf8ec0740.jpg

Good Luck, Kaber

The Trans Am was white with blue decals, black interior

Guest Kaber

I had a one in Three shot! There is a guy I cruise with locally that has THE 1970 1/2 white Trans Am used in the Pontiac promotional pictures in 1970. The actual car! Its a 4 speed with some crazy low miles around 14,000. It has the blue stripe but what makes it outstanding, other than condition, is it's red deluxe interior!  I would really like to have this car, He wants to sell it. he wants a new Challenger Hellcat ?!?!?!? He's asking $80,000 so I'm going to have to settle for my Red one (next to it in the photo).

image_zpspdjgodix.jpeg

Guest Kaber

That's a beautiful T/A Seafoam! Are you coming to the nationals this year? It has been pretty nice at the new hotel! Here is a better shot of mine...

image_zps2soes5bt.jpg

Kaber

Some beautiful Ponti's gentlemen. I spent a lot of my high school days in a buddy's 79 TA so they hold a special place in my heart. And Kaber, that second gen Firebird might be one of the best ever GM designs. Still loyal to Rivs, but since you love Pontiacs, check out the latest addition. It's number 197 of 1344 made. PRLIMG_0067[1].JPG

I had a '73 Grand Am which my daughter drove to high school.  Long after she graduated, she once told me "Dad, I had the fastest car in school; the boys hated me for it."  Learned a lesson from that one and got a little Toyota Corolla for my younger (more adventurous) daughter.

Guest Kaber

Nice car Pete! I was at the POCI meet in Miamisburg Ohio in or around 1988. They had a Can-Am reunion of sorts. They were all parked in a row with the hoods and trunks open, it was impressive. I have always liked those. There's one local, a total beater. The guy who owns it drives it all the time with his boxer, The dog is always hanging his head out the window! It is like a "White Whale" very elusive, but awesome when you see it! Thanks for sharing the Cam-Am! Kaber.

Ed, those old Grand-Ams were cool too. Imagine if they would have stuffed the Super Duty engines in those like they were supposed to!

Edited by Kaber (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, Kaber said:

Ed, those old Grand-Ams were cool too. Imagine if they would have stuffed the Super Duty engines in those like they were supposed to!

That high altitude 400 w/ quadrajet and the rear gearing that was in my car was more than adequate, thank you.

Had a friend in high school with a CanAm when they were new. Last time I saw it was when it came to rest under the light pole he hit with the "squeezable nose" and what was left of the pole was laying on what was left of the top of the car. Don't know the number of that one, but it was done at that point. Nice car, Pete.

It's a funky car for sure. Sort of disco era muscle and certainly a bird you rarely see. Me and a high school buddy of mine are splitting it and once it runs and stops like it should and needs title/insurance, one of us will buy the other guy out. It's fun to be drinking beer, listening to classic rock and wrenching like we used to do in high school. We got it from a guy who couldn't make it run or do anything. He bought it from a guy who couldn't make it run or do anything. It's been inop for twenty years and there have been more than a few jokers messing with it. It's got a 455 in it now and it came with the original blown TA 400 and trans. It's all there, but lots of wires hanging out of the dash and parts in the trunk. It was dead, I mean nothing worked...no lights, no starter nada. None of the previous guys could figure it out and so it sat inside for 20 years. After lots of multimeter time, we discovered somebody had switched the distributor wire with the accessory wire at the ignition switch. It turned and fired about one hour later. Awesome. It was pretty cool to be the guys who solved the mystery that had flummoxed two previous owners. It's running now but there is a very slight knock. We are contemplating our options. If we can get the 455 right, we'll keep it like that for a while, fix brakes, clean up interior etc. and drive it looking like a 20 footer.  Sooner or later, the original 400 will find it's way back in the car but likely with Ram Air III heads etc. I've always loved 60s/70s Pontiacs. This car was sort of a desperate swing at performance by Pontiac during a tough time for muscle cars. Jim Wangers, "Mr. GTO" was involved in this car and it shows. If a Trans Am and a Grand Am had a baby, it would be a Can Am. PRL

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2016 at 3:47 PM, petelempert said:

... If a Trans Am and a Grand Am had a baby, it would be a Can Am. PRL

Hmmmm -- If Grand Prix + Trans Am = Grand Am and Trans Am + Grand Am = Can Am (as suggested above), where the heck did the Aztek come from?!? :wacko: