Do we have any Corvair owners on this forum?

Guest corsa1948

Guest corsa1948

Update: Apparently the answer to this question is a resounding YES !! Thanks for all the great responses from folks across the country, Canada and abroad. Wow. Please keep them coming !

If you plan on being in New Mexico the first weekend in June , the Colorado, Utah and NM Corvair clubs are meeting in Red River, NM for our annual Tri-State gathering. If you'd like more information on this

please ask. If you have any questions about Corvairs of New Mexico ,please get in touch with me at:

corsa180@gmail.com

In the meantime, I'd like to invite you to view my website: http://www.CorsaTurbo180USA.com

Click on this link. There you can view our featured car of the month, club members cars and my 1965 Corvair Corsa 180hp Turbo charged coupe.

Previous post :

Yes, there are Corvair forums but wondering if we have any Corvair owners who chime in on this forum. And if so , are you actively involved perhaps a member of a CORSA chapter?

At this time, I own two. A 1965 Corvair Corsa 180 turbocharged coupe that I drive and show. And I have a 1966 Corvair Monza coupe 110 auto with a/c that is a project.

Hope to hear all about yours or any stories you have, experiences you've had with Corvairs. Thanks

Larry=Albuquerque, New Mexico

Edited by corsa1948 (see edit history)

Guest corsa1948

Hey Charles,

There are some great mid-engine examples out there that are post crown conversions. Also some rear mounted small blocks . Google Images has some great pics. I guess when you think about it , there a]are about 1.5 million former owners.

We have a few great fully restored 62-64 spyders in our club. One is for sale !

Thanks for responding,

Larry Yoffee -Albuquerque

Another former Corvair owner -

1960 4-door sedan with powerglide - was dad's car in NJ in the '60s - great in snow.

1965 Corsa convertible 140 hp, 4-carbs, 3-speed stick

1966 Corsa coupe 140 hp, 4-carbs, 4-speed stick

1966 Monza convertible 110 hp, powerglide, positraction

Former owner of several Corvairs, and the keeper of the nightmares they gave me.

After having one that caught on fire, one that the gas heater almost blew up, and another that the rear axle rode out of the bearing leaving the car with no brakes @ 65 in the left lane of the Long Island Expressway, I'd had enough of the Corvair! And those are just the highlights of the horror stories I have concerning the infamous Corvair.

I was able to trade the last Corvair I owned, (a 64 Monza 4 Sp) straight across for a 66 Pontiac Bonneville. After that deal was done, I swore that I'd never own another Corvair. That was over 40 years and many different vehicles ago, none of which I'm happy to say were Corvairs.

I will give you this, the Turbo / Super charged, whichever it was, 65 Corsa that I had was a kick in the pants, until the engine fell apart.

Sorry, don't mean to rag on another persons pride, but I have just about nothing but bad memories where the Corvair is concerned.

Ever know Tex Shaw out of Kanas? He had several of the Corvans at one time and spent a lot of time in the Grand Lake area of Colorado. Of course, this was 20 years ago.

I "drove" a 1960 4 door automatic in high school. I swear I spent more time walking home or to the nearest phone than I did driving. Constant breakdowns including one engine room fire. Loved driving the thing when it actually ran. Tough to get a second date with a girl who had to walk 2 miles home with you after your ride died for no apparent reason. Finally began dating, and eventually married, a girl who also drove a Corvair. We were partners in misery. Hers had just as many but different problems, including the steering locking up, luckily just as she turned into the driveway of her home. Eventually her starter malfunctioned at speed locking up the engine and causing her to skid to the side of the road. I have blocked those cars from my memory so successfully that I cannot remember what we did with them. I know we bought a new VW and the dealership wouldn't take either one in trade. I loved driving Corvairs but never want another one.

When I was young (I'm now 36) I owned Corvairs, lots of them.

1961 Lakewood wagon

1963 Spyder convertible

1963 Monza coupe

1963 Corvan

1964 Monza convertible

1964 Spyder convertible

1964 Monza coupe

1964 Corvan camper

1965 Monza coupe

1965 Monza convertible

1968 Ultravan

The '61 Lakewood was first. I was in eighth grade and paid $50 for it to Austin Clark. It was buried in the woods behind his museum. I owned almost all of these cars before I turned 21, with the exception of the '64 Spyder convertible, which I think I was about 23 when I purchased it.

I miss my Corvairs, and I intend to get another one soon. I especially miss my first '64 convertible and my '65 coupe. The convertible I paid $200 for and dragged it out of the woods. It had been sitting for 15 years, but I soon had it on the road. It had the 110hp 4-speed combo, which was really the best setup. Man was that car fun! I stupidly sold it to pay for my second semester of college.

The '65 coupe was purchased in 1991 for $1700. The car had 23,000 miles on it and was like new. I drove it daily through high school, and stashed it away when I went to college. I sold it when I got married.

Those two cars are my real regrets. I should have kept them. For my next Corvair I was thinking either a Greenbriar or a late model four door with A/C. Of course a convertible would be great!

post-48034-143138459627_thumb.jpg

I helped a friend get a 110 out of a barn several years back. Put a battery in in and got it to run after some tinkering. Drove it a short ways around his farm until the rubber went out of the harmonic balance. Oh yeah, Job security. I got to locate, and put a re-built one in. :D Dandy Dave!

Guest corsa1948

Wow, some great responses and amazing collection . My life with Corvairs began in 1965 when I was a HS senior. Never a thought in my head about them before that. My folks bought one and and I fell in love with the design and that 110 power glide was a good little performer. Sometimes you get lucky.

Lot's of folks had lots of problems. I trade my own 65 in 1971 for a 71 Volvo 142s (wish I had that one back) and never got back to Corvair until 2006. And now I'm on my 3rd one. They make for a great hobby car and in todays classic market and affordale one.

Check my website : CorsaTurbo180USA - Our Feature Presentation CorsaTurbo180USA - Our Feature Presentation

for mine and many others belonging to fellow club members. Corvairs of New Mexico

Not me personally but my father (soon to be 87) does, at least till March 30th when he will be losing his license. At that time has decided to gift it (a 1966 Corvair 110 Convertible) to my Sister who still has her early production (made in 1959) 1960 Corvair 4DR which she bought as her first car in 1973 or 1974.

While it seems some have had issues with theirs, my sister drove hers out to Phoenix, Arizona to go to Arizona State University in the late 70's, a 2200 mile one way trip with no problems. My now wife and I flew out one fall to visit her and drove the car to Lake Havasu and then down to Nogales, Mexico with no problems either. My wife did comment however that it appeared the scenery was going faster than the car was. Sure, that 60 hp engine with automatic was no fireball but..... it still got us around and cheaply.

I owned a 64 Monza Convertible, Maroon, Black Top, Black Interior with the 4 Speed. It was one of my favorite cars. I found it in the back of a VW dealer under a bunch of snow one weekend so I wrote a note and stuck it under their door asking if it was for sale and they called Monday with an offer of $300 which I quickly accepted. It was spotless inside and out and ran great. That was when I was in my teens back around 1970. I’ve kept my eyes open for another solid original that wasn’t all rusted or cobbled together for a decent price but have yet to come across one. It had a nice exhaust note and in my opinion performed well and was fun to drive. Scott…

In '65 I had a brand new Impala SS convertible. My younger brother bought a '62 4-speed Corvair coupe. It was a ball to drive. It would fly through a curve but I can't remember how many times the fan belt came off. I soon quit downshifting from 4th to third because if you did the alternator light was going to come on. He later had a 65 (?) Corsa with the 4 carbs but he would not let me drive it because he said it could not be kept in the road. Said it was the worst handling car he ever drove. He played with the tire pressures front and back but that did not help. Finally put 4 new shocks on it. Said that helped but I still didn't get to drive it.

Guest corsa1948

Never had an early model Corvair . My first was 65 Monza coupe 110 4 sp. I did a lot of mountain roads in that (Colorado) and it did fine. But when I got my first set of radials , man what a difference. I had amazing control . But you know, they're all different . When I drive my 65 Corsa it feels so different than when I drive my buddies 65 Corsa. Lots of aftermarket upgrades available through the years to improve handling.

Ever think about owning one again? What year/ model etc. did you own?

I had a white 1961 coupe with red bucket seat interior and Powerglide. Bought it when I was in high school, with no motor, for $35 bucks. Put in a junkyard motor, gave it a paint job and drove it around, and was happy about the whole deal. The car was only 5 or 6 years old at the time. I think it was the 200, the upmarket model with chrome window frames and nicer upholstery.

Last summer I was sorely tempted by a blue 1966 convertible for sale near here. But since I already have a 1975 Porsche 911 Targa in the garage it seemed redundant.

Guest corsa1948

Rusty, Can't say I would blame you . A 911 Targa or otherwise is certainly a special car to own and enjoy. Back in 74 , I had $100 down on a 914 and then backed out. One of my many lifes regrets.

For me Corvairs are just sort of tied to my early years and are more than a car. I'm retired now and this is just one way for me to get back to the things I enjoyed as a young guy ...and affordable. My Corvairs have to compete with my love of fly fishing, photography and travel. Only so much money to go around. The thing I like the best is going to show and answering questions about my car. Sometimes I'll leave the hood closed and the empty trunk open just to confuse the hell out of the younger people. Thanks for your interest in responding.

My first car was a '64 Corvair 700 4 door sedan, black with a red interior, 3 speed stick. I was commuting to college and thought it would be a good car in winter. I bought it in September 1968 with 49K on it. After 2 head gaskets and numerous other mechanical issues, including sucking exhaust fumes through the heater, I traded it for a '64 Falcon in May '69. I couldn't even get the local Chevrolet dealer to work on it because I didn't buy it from them. Despite all it's problems, I loved driving it and have always wanted another one, especially a '65-'67 Monza 4 door hardtop.

I drove the Falcon for three more years of college, but I spent a fortune in repairs on it as well. At least it was easier to work on.

Guest marlin65

You bet, wouldn't own anything else. Over the years I've owned dozens. Should have never sold my rampside pick-up,handiest truck ever built. Great for hauling anything you can load into it. Currently I own a 60 coupe (owned twice), my wife has a yellow 64 convertible and my pride and joy, an all original Canadian built 60 "500" sedan. Oldest documented Canadian Corvair known and possibly the 4th oldest on the planet.

People can say what they want about these cars but the truth is they are affordable which is more then you can say about 99% of the cars out there,and they are great everyday drivers. Sure they need proper maintainence but even parts are cheap.

Ed in Dade City, Fl

OK, What the heck, I may as well admit that I too am a former Corvair owner..

First one was bought back in 1967 it was a 61 sedan with 110 and a 4-speed. It was to be a donor for a Dune Buggy. Since I was going to build the Dune Buggy, first up was to drill the axles for five lug so I could put the big floatation tires on it…. So what the heck I CUT out the wheel wells on the Corvair so I could put the BIG BALOON tires on it…

Then I got a set of headers, hung them on… Was driving the car to school…. In Auto Shop we locked our teacher in his office so we could pull hole-shots out in the yard.. (Yes true) …… Then I decided to remove the front shocks so I could try to pull the front wheels off the ground with a bump-throttle-hit-again and pop them off…. Sure enough it worked….. Until I broke the drive shaft at the small end….. Then I bought extras to keep around… Went through several doing the wheel stand trick…

Next Corvair was a 62 Monza. I put a cam it that one, headers and a single carb conversion to a Holley 2bbl… Added Goodyear Blue Streaks on 13X7 wheels, anti-roll bars front and rear, single hoop roll bar, lowered the car.. It was a black car…. THEN for fun, did a flame job on it… Drove it to college… Wish I still had it…

Next was a 1965 Corsa 140 with 4-speed. I LIKED THAT CAR!!! Handled fantastic, drove great… Just as described, a poor man’s Porsche………

Along the way I also had a Corvair Van that I hauled stuff around in… Had a Corvair pickup for a while.. Did not really work to haul my motorcycles in, so I sold it..

I would not pass up a good 65 or later Corsa if one came along..

Guest corsa1948

Thanks to all. I am so glad I posted this question. What a fantastic response !!

This morning I went to a local winery to inquire about doing a photo shoot there as it would make a wonderful backdrop for a 62 Corvair wagon (red) which is the next to be featured on my website and the first thing the person who was helping me said was "hey, that was my first car. It was 20 years old when I got it. A 1960 coupe. Loved that car". So, I hear that alot.

Restorer32 , we don't have a 12 step program for former Corvair owners. It's ok to admit you owned one (humor) .

Please check out my website for some great examples of all years and models of Corvairs that we have here in New Mexico. Our sanctioned club is : Corvairs of New Mexico .And by the way, most of them are rust free due to the climate.

CorsaTurbo180USA - Our Feature Presentation Check out the latest Corvair to be featured this month.

My first car was a 65 Monza, 3 speed. It had a gigantic hole in the passenger side floor which was good for quick disposal of empty cans while driving down the highway. I drove it for over a year after the flywheel cracked and made it so the starter would no longer function. Sold it to our icecream delivery man for 100.00.

More recently I had a lot of involvement with the disposal of the late Fred Johnston's horde of Corvairs of all models and the accompanying parts. A lot of that stuff went to the Corvair Ranch near Gettysburg. I had a lot of fun with that.

Finally, a friend of mine has an Eshelman "Golden Eagle" . You Corvair guys know what that is!!!

Guest corsa1948

Thanks Dave A,

Actually , I had never heard of an Eshelman golden Eagle. Ran your post on corvaircenter.com forum and got some interesting answers and info. It created an interesting thread. So thanks for you story and info. The only thing that surprized me was that you had a 65 Monza that had a three speed. Every 65 Monza" I ever saw had a 4 sp . Perhaps it was special ordered to save money or a re-badged Corvair 500 which would have had a factory 3 sp.

Anyway, very interesting. Thanks. Crosley's huh! Just saw something recently about the Crosley community here -quite a dedicated group.

Someone else told me that the 3 speed was unusual also. To me it was the car I learned to drive a clutch on. Had a red light with an up hill intersection on my way to school. Until I got better with the clutch, my younger brother was too embarrased to ride with me. Got a lot of unusual memories from that car........Like the time I...Oh never mind!!

My friend is very proud of his association with Mr. Eshelman and in owning this unusual car. He owns several unusual cars....including several Crosleys which is how I met him. I don't know where you are located, but you are welcome to visit any of our regional or National shows. If you are near me in Pa. stop by sometime and I'll show you a couple. Who knows, I just might convert you to Crosleys!!!

Guest corsa1948

Dave,

You've got some great stories. Hope this doesn't offend you but usually when I've seen a Crosley, it's been at the top of a pole advertizing an auto repair. Seriously.

I'm here in Albuquerque, New Mexico and invite you to click on this link:

CorsaTurbo180USA - Our Feature Presentation

to view some of our Corvairs. I'm still working on getting more pics up of other members cars . Every month I will feature a car from our chartered club , Corvairs of New Mexico , now in it's 37th year and my car (s) can be viewed on the page called "In the Beginning" . I would also invite you to comment on the guest page if you care to.

Thank you for the invitation . We are traveling to Delaware in August. Our first stop to visit friends and then on up to points north and Quebec and I'm sure we'll pass through Pa. Where are you located? If it's not too far off the beaten path, we might just stop by to view your collection.

Let me also extend an invitation to you should you find yourself in New Mexico. Contrary to what many people seem to think, you do not need a passport to visit us.

Larry

The club has a regional chapter in New Mexico. It's a relatively new group, but I think the regional president lives in Albuquerque. I am in Reading, Pa. Depending when you will be in the area, the club will have a good representation at Das Awscht Fescht in Macungie Pa, (large show about 4,000 cars over 3 days), on the first weekend of August. The third weekend is the Pa region's show near Hanover, Pa. I don't remember what I am doing the other weekends, but you are welcome anytime!!! By the way, there is a 47 Crosley sedan on top of a building near here that is the sign for a used car lot. It has been there over 50 years!!!