Do we have any Corvair owners on this forum?

Guest corsa1948

Guest marlin65

To Larry S and Corsa1948: yes I've already mentioned my 60 Canadian sedan on CorvairCenter. Larry, my body number is 236. Even though it's lower then some early earlies it was built the 2nd week of Jan 1960. Production of US built Corvairs started in July 59.Ed

I think the reason I like Corvairs - besides the rear engine configuration - was that my uncle sold Chevies. He purchased a '62 500 coupe with a 3 speed for my aunt; got her to trade in her '57 Bel Air sedan. He later took a '64 700 sedan in trade so bought that to replace the '62. That one was a 4 speed. I'm really partial to the '65-'67 Monza 4 door hardtop which I think is one of the best looking cars ever made by GM.

Guest corsa1948

Thank you John_Maine. I couldn't agree more. I have been a fan of the late model Corvairs since we bought one in my senior HS year in 1965. If you are a fan of 63-67 Corvettes you can thank the designers of the Monza GT which in my opinion morphed into the 68+ Stingrays. These are clearly found on late model Corvairs and for my money the latest verion of the Camaro. Anyway, thanks for sharing your story and interest in one of the most important American automobiles ever mass produced. Again, please check out my website for more great examples: here is a link; CorsaTurbo180USA - Our Feature Presentation

Guest corsa1948

Well, Ralphie boy probably never drove my 1965 turbocharged Corvair Corsa . He would have found it to be a kick in the pants which is exactly what someone should have done to him. It's not his fault. His mommy made him.

Always thought Ralph was the reason GM didn't kill the Corvair in '67. They had both the Nova and the Camaro then.

My 65 Corsa had trombones and a Quadrajet & used to regularly beat Z-28s in autocrosses. Guess I have just always preferred the sound of a healthy 6, too many Jags in my yout.

Today, if I were to acquire another, it would need to be a 66 Corsa Coupe with 140 (only diesels should have turbos), four speed, 3.89, and posi.

Guest corsa1948

I think that, in the final analysis, the market changed, GM could see it coming with the mustang coming on strong and Shelby getting ivolved with the GT350 etc. It's not that they were paying attention -think 64 GTO, but from everything I read , GM got raked over the coals by congress for some lying and indescretions and wantd to spite Nader and appear to not have him win. But I think the main reason was that the world had changed and afterall the Corvair was expensive to build, shared very parts with others Chev. products and the winds had changed.

I had those trombones on my first 65 that I bought in 1968. Bouth them from JC wWhitney I think. What a sweet exhaust note. Still available through Clarks Corvair. I would love to drop a 140 in my 66 Monza but I want to keep the A/C and need low compression heads for that. For the #'s matching 110 will stay.

Guest corsa1948

Bob,

Very nice 1965 Monza. Do you have a CORSA chapter club that you're involved with?

If you have been to my website , I would invite you to do so. In addition to mine, I am starting to feature other club members cars. About one a month from Corvairs of New Mexico.

CorsaTurbo180USA - Our Feature Presentation Several pages to view.

Well, you've had a lot more Corvairs than I have. It's a good thing I simply don't have room for more than two.

I used to be president of the local CORSA chapter in Huntsville, AL but it finally disbanded due to lack of owners/interest. I also served on the CORSA board of directors back in the 90s. While I am still a member of CORSA I have little contact with anyone in the organization these days. My interest in Corvair related activities has really declined over the years and now I focus solely on AACA events with the Corvairs.

Edited by Bob Hill (see edit history)

Guest corsa1948

Bob,

Thanks unfortunate that your chapter disbanded. Corvairs of New Mexico celebrates it's 37th year this year and as membership chair, I intend to work hard to bring new and younger member into it. Plan on doing a lot more higher profile events as it starts to warm up .

Thanks for chiming in . You got an interesting eclectic collection.

Larry

Guest 60electra225

No Corvair's but I do have a couple of Tatra's. The Corvair was never sold in Australia - especially after Ralph's comments, but there are quite a few here now, privately imported. Might do the same one day.

Guest obama6493
I have two friends who own Corvairs. One has a 63 ragtop he's trying to sell the other has a 64 4 door that I somrtimes drive in the july 4th parade(no overheating).

NJ has some great Corvairs and active clubs. Thanks for responding

Larry-Albuquerque, NM

Guest corsa1948

Hello 60Electra225,

Very interesting. I recall hearing of Tatra's many years ago but frankly had forgotton about them . Your reply to my post made do a goodle search . Fascinating history of this company and various vehicle produced over the last 100 + years. Amazing. Also spotted a Tatra concept car I liked very much.

Anyway, as a Corvair owner and enthusiast, of course I would highly encourage you to help keep this important automobile alive . I recently ran across a post featuring someone who was converting a late model Corvair convertible to right hand drive but don't recall where that was . It may have been a post on Corvaircenter.com. I need to back and check.

Thanks very much for chiming in and mentioning your Tatra. It's been fun reading about them and how historically important they are.

Larry-Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

Guest corsa1948

Ever see a 455 from a Tornado in the engine compartment of a Corvair? I have.

My experience with Corvairs started in 1965 now known as LM (late model-65-69) I have heard about early models and fumes and assume , like you, many others experienced the same thing. But personally, I don't know.

I can see some minor gear box , dashboard, automatic shifter gas pedal etc. everthing escept the sun visors challenges but agree that Corvairs would be amongst the easiest to convert to right hand drive and I know that there is a thread about that with pics on corvaircenter.com and I need to search that.

Edited by corsa1948 (see edit history)

I have a 65 Monza coupe dark blue -white interior 110 with pg ,fun car to drive. had a 63 sedan in the late 60s the kids called it stinky,The defrosters kept the windshield well oiled,that was the only part that didnt rust.

I had a 63" I think. Had to drive with all windows down to get rid of the fumes

That was the problem with my '64. It started sucking exhaust in through the heater. The only solution my mechanic could come up with was to block the lines but then, of course, no heater or defroster, which doesn't work in Maine. I even went over to the Chevy dealership and was told they didn't work on Corvairs any more unless I bought it there - which I didn't.

I don't remember now what the problem was, but I learned from some website I was on that it was a relatively simple fix. Wish I had known back then because despite all the problems I had with it, I really liked the car.

Guest corsa1948

Beautiful 1965 convertible and beautiful BC setting. Is that a Canadian built Corvair? My truck camper is BC built . Think they're out of business now-Kelowna area It's a Vanguard.

John_Maine. One really interesting part of your story was that your local dealership didn't want to work on your 64 Corvair unless you bought it there. How times have changed? But, I think, the truth is that alot of dealerships were not properly prepared to work on them and one example was when O-rings went out and mechanics went to replace them-think aluminum heads, well everything except the piston barrels was aluminum, they often screwed them up if they removed the head and they'd warp the heads due to overtightening the bolts. I heard that a lot of dealerships farmed the work out to porche or vw shops. But what a studid business decision. Most dealerships make most of their money on servicing and repairs.

Where in Maine are you? I was born in Dover, NH near the the Maine seacoast border.

Edited by corsa1948 (see edit history)

Guest corsa1948

Larry- you're right and once anyone re-installed with vitons , you were done with it for a very long time. Biggest issue for some is just re-adjusting the valves and getting that right.

Larry

Beautiful 1965 convertible and beautiful BC setting. Is that a Canadian built Corvair? My truck camper is BC built . Think they're out of business now-Kelowna area It's a Vanguard.

John_Maine. One really interesting part of your story was that your local dealership didn't want to work on your 64 Corvair unless you bought it there. How times have changed? But, I think, the truth is that alot of dealerships were not properly prepared to work on them and one example was when O-rings went out and mechanics went to replace them-think aluminum heads, well everything except the piston barrels was aluminum, they often screwed them up if they removed the head and they'd warp the heads due to overtightening the bolts. I heard that a lot of dealerships farmed the work out to porche or vw shops. But what a studid business decision. Most dealerships make most of their money on servicing and repairs.

Where in Maine are you? I was born in Dover, NH near the the Maine seacoast border.

I grew up in South Portland and lived there until the wife and I got married. We moved around southern Maine quite a bit until ending up here in Norway the last 20 years. We lived in North Conway in 1979-1980 and again 1986-1991. Really liked NH and have thought about moving back there when we retire. Our daughter, son-in-law and grandson live in Kingston, NH.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I really like the '65-'67 Monza 4 door hardtop. Would love to find an original with PG. I've been looking at ads from the usual sources, but is there a place to go to find Corvairs for sale. Not much on the CORSA website...

Guest corsa1948

John,

I know of cars-on-line.com, ofcourse ebay and craigslist. I should mention that we have some nice "rust free " 4 door w/PG Corvairs that are or may be for sale here in Albuquerque. There's always the added expense of shipping but sometimes it actually works out to be cheaper in the long run when you're starting with a car that doesn't need body work.

Let me know if you need further assitance.

Larry

• 1 year later...
Guest marlin65

Have had at least 20 Corvairs over the years.Presently have an original unrestored 60 Canadian built sedan (38,000 miles).A daily driver 64 convertible and am working on a 62 Corvan an ex-Bell telephone truck one of 6 known.I'm the tech advisor for 60-64 Corvair cars and 61-65 Corvair trucks in the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America.Ed Bittman Dade City,Fl

• 3 weeks later...
Update: Apparently the answer to this question is a resounding YES !! Thanks for all the great responses from folks across the country, Canada and abroad. Wow. Please keep them coming !

If you plan on being in New Mexico the first weekend in June , the Colorado, Utah and NM Corvair clubs are meeting in Red River, NM for our annual Tri-State gathering. If you'd like more information on this

please ask. If you have any questions about Corvairs of New Mexico ,please get in touch with me at:

corsa180@gmail.com

In the meantime, I'd like to invite you to view my website: CorsaTurbo180USA - Hot Air & Corvairs 2012

Click on this link. There you can view our featured car of the month, club members cars and my 1965 Corvair Corsa 180hp Turbo charged coupe.

Previous post :

Yes, there are Corvair forums but wondering if we have any Corvair owners who chime in on this forum. And if so , are you actively involved perhaps a member of a CORSA chapter?

At this time, I own two. A 1965 Corvair Corsa 180 turbocharged coupe that I drive and show. And I have a 1966 Corvair Monza coupe 110 auto with a/c that is a project.

Hope to hear all about yours or any stories you have, experiences you've had with Corvairs. Thanks

Larry=Albuquerque, New Mexico

:) I have a 1964 Monza convertible that I've owned for 20 years. I've been a member of CORSA and its Chapter 495 (West Michigan Corvair Club) for the same amount of time. Our club will be hosting the CORSA National Convention next summer on July 16-19, 2013 in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Part of the venue will be the Gilmore Car Museum, a nationally renown CCCA Museum. Check out the CORSA website for details.

• 8 months later...
post-93470-14314195032_thumb.jpgIn 1961 I bought a brand new Corvair Monza coupe. Tuxedo Black with red bucket seats and 4-speed. I LOVED that car and was always sorry I sold it. Ever since, I've entertained the thought to buy another one. Last month I was trolling eBay and saw a 1964 Corvair Monza Spyder coupe in Tuxedo Black with red bucket seats and 4-speed. I couldn't help myself -- I bought it! I haven't seen it yet. The seller was in Tennessee and we have a home in Virginia about 325 miles away from him, with an empty garage, so we had it delivered there, instead of our other home in California. I can hardly wait.

post-93470-143141950309_thumb.jpg

Edited by Peter Zobian (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My first car was a '64 700 sedan, black, red interior, 3 speed and a radio. That was about it. It was 4 years old and had 49K on it. My uncle sold Chevies and he and my aunt had 2, a '62 500 coupe and a '64 700 sedan. I liked both of them and figured one would be a good car for me to commute to college with, good in snow, no anti-freeze to worry about, etc. I really liked it but mechanically, it was horrible. It's been 45 years since I had it so I don't remember all that went wrong but it always needed fixing. I bought it in September but by May of the next year, I traded it for a '64 Falcon that proved to be just as bad but at least it was simpler to fix. The final straw with the Corvair was that it started sucking exhaust fumes through the heater. I had to ride with the windows down in order to breath. The mechanic my father and I used didn't know how to fix it. His suggestion was to disconnect the heater which, of course, was not practical in Maine. I even took it to the local Chevy garage - this was in the spring of '69 - and they refused to work on it. Said they didn't work on Corvairs unless it was purchased from them - so I got $400 for it towards the Falcon. Ironically, I've always wanted another Corvair, especially a '65-'67 4 door Monza. It'd be worth it to have one just to sit and look at it. The thing with them is that if you got a good one, they were really good but if you got a bad one, forget about it!