1977 Buick Skylark - how much is he worth?

Guest Louie Louie

Guest Louie Louie

Hi

I do not know much about cars but love my 1977 Buick Skylark. I have now however been told that he needs an engine rebuild or a new engine, and I'm wondering weather I can justify spending the money on him.

He has done 87,000 miles, his body work is in mint condition and the interior is good. The mechanic says his transmission and rear bearings look good and does not see any other problems other than the engine.

I have no idea how much he is worth and wondered if anyone could tell me roughly how much I would be able to sell him for if he had a rebuilt or new engine (however I have been told a new engine could be hard to find as he has a V6 odd-fire engine which is harder to find than a even-fire engine and the two are not interchangeable).

I have no intention of selling him but do not want to spend $3500 on the car if he is worth less than this.

I would really appreciate someones help on this as I just don't know what to do.

Thanks

Some photos may help, but you should , at least, indicate what model (ie convertable worth much more then a 4dr. sedan) and some idea about the body work (ie mint means like show room condition, just like a coin is mint if it is uncirculated).

John

• Like 1

A 1977 Skylark is either a 2-door sedan or a 4-door sedan (like a Nova), and I'm afraid that neither one of those is worth $3500, unless it were an extremely low-mileage, pristine example. Take a look at Ebay and see for yourself. If you can't find Skylarks for those years, try looking at Olds Omegas or Chevy Novas or Pontiac Phoenix for the late 1970s. They are all about the same.

Pete Phillips

Sherman, Texas

• Like 1

Guest Louie Louie

Sorry about the lack of information. He is a 4 door sedan and the body work is not in mint condition but very good condition. Here are a couple of photos.

Thanks for you advice I will check Ebay.

Kerry

California

post-67767-143138210544_thumb.jpg

post-67767-143138210547_thumb.jpg

Old Cars Price Guide says $800 to $1710 depending on condition. If it's real sharp, show room condition $2650.

So what? If you aren't going to sell it. If you really love the car and want to keep it for the rest of your life?

If you aren't that committed junk it and use the $3500 to buy something you like better.

• Like 1

The body looks really nice; if the interior's as good, drop a 350 or 305 in it,

and you'll have an $800-$1,200 car, regardless. I understand about him

being your baby, but to everyone else, he's just an old 4-door sedan,

the least collectible of all body styles.

But then, there are a lot of folks who like 4-door sedans, myself included.

Best of luck, just don't crush him,

TG

• Like 1

You've got a nice car, but I understand your concern about not wanting to invest in it if the car isnt worth it. I agree with the others, the car is worth less than $2500.

Look at it another way:

You repair the car for $3500 and end up with a $2500 car.

BUT

Your vehicle registration costs will be cheaper than a new car.

Your insurance will be cheaper than a new car.

If you replace the car with a new(er) car you'll have to invest $5000-$25000.

From a budget perspective you'll be ahead by simply repairing/replacing the engine - then using/enjoying the car for another 5 years.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 2

Guest Louie Louie

Thanks for all your comments, you have all been very helpful. I have decided to fix him up :), just need to find an engine for him now.

I have been looking at a Buick 231 3.8L Odd Fire, without smog, remanufactured engine from S&S Rebuilt Engines it is about $1400 with a 7 year/70,000 mile warranty. Can anyone tell me what the without smog part means?

S&S Rebuilt Engines >> Remanufactured Car N' Marine Engines >> 7-Yr Warranty

Has anyone had any experience with this company, or can anyone let me know a good place to get an engine with a good warranty on it.

Thanks again

Kerry

Guest Ctskip

I agree, NADA is out of alignment. Today the market has crashed and is still sinking.

Fix the car and you'll be saving over $1000 in taxes and insurance just the first year. While you are at it, have the mechanic do the shocks ( a almost always overlooked comfort) and a good brake job would help. Along with a new exhaust system and you'll be purring like a cat on a hot August nite. Charge the AC and you'll be cruisin for the next five years with no payments while saving $1000s of $$$. Check out the crate chevy SB. The bigger question is do you trust and feel confident in your mechanic. If yes, then go for it. Check out your local parts house for their motors and warranties.

Ctskip

Edited by Ctskip (see edit history)

• 8 years later...

Hello
My name is mahdi

I have physical disabilities
. I'm going to buy a 1978 buick skylark 4 door.. but there is a problem with the car - a problem with the engine -
There are problems with the electrician - I'm looking for a guide to repair the engine and wiring diagram.

Do you have a pdf sevice repair manual for download?

Could you help me?

IMG0000000.jpg

IMG_2222333333333.jpg

IMG_20190320_125618.jpg

1 hour ago, mehdi said:

Hello
My name is mahdi

I have physical disabilities
. I'm going to buy a 1978 buick skylark 4 door.. but there is a problem with the car - a problem with the engine -
There are problems with the electrician - I'm looking for a guide to repair the engine and wiring diagram.

Do you have a pdf sevice repair manual for download?

Could you help me?

No one helps me؟

The new post by mehdi was made a few hours ago.  Other posts are from 2010

Car looks to be in a junk yard and has plates that may be in the Middle East.

A car that old will be hard to get back on the road.  The engine & transmission may not be orginal

Mu suggestion is to look for a better car

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

The new post by mehdi was made a few hours ago.  Other posts are from 2010

Car looks to be in a junk yard and has plates that may be in the Middle East.

A car that old will be hard to get back on the road.  The engine & transmission may not be orginal

Mu suggestion is to look for a better car

Hi dear friend
Unfortunately, I have a physical disability and I do not have a job
This car is cheap and I have little money that someone can help me
Because of this, if it could be possible to be for  download a pdf map of the wiring diagram and the engine is a help
Please help. Thank Kgnyd

2 hours ago, mehdi said:

Unfortunately, I have a physical disability and I do not have a job

Leave it where it is!

If you have a physical disability, I doubt you'll be able to perform all the work it requires to get it roadworthy.  Going by the photos, there's a LOT of underdash work which will require you to be on your backside reaching upwards for hours, not to mention, having to bend over for underhood and grille work.  Don't buy it, is my advice.

Craig

• Like 1

On 5/7/2010 at 5:51 PM, Louie Louie said:

I have no intention of selling him but do not want to spend $3500 on the car if he is worth less than this.

Get 35 crisp, new, $100 bills, go to a car dealer, and fan them out. Tell them you have cash to spend. You might come home real surprised at how much you like that old Buick.

Bernie

• Like 1

I second the opinion that you should not buy that car. Look for a better one. If you can't afford a better car, you sure can't afford all the parts and repairs to put that wreck back on the road. Your best choice would be the newest Japanese car  you can afford. Avoid Nissan, their quality went down when they were taken over by Renault.

• Like 1

Mr. Mahdi, I don't think the service manual

is available for free.  I buy shop manuals for my

old cars, but have never seen a free electronic version.

Some places might SELL the PDF versions if you

don't want the book(s).

Try searching www.amazon.com for "1977 Buick

Shop Manual."  Make sure it has the Skylark, because

some models of Buick could be in a different manual.

All the best to you!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Mr. Mahdi, I don't think the service manual

is available for free.  I buy shop manuals for my

old cars, but have never seen a free electronic version.

Some places might SELL the PDF versions if you

don't want the book(s).

Try searching www.amazon.com for "1977 Buick

Shop Manual."  Make sure it has the Skylark, because

some models of Buick could be in a different manual.

All the best to you!

Hello
I live in iran
Unfortunately I have a physical problem - this car is an auto.
This car is cheap and the man wants to help me.
If you havethe wiring digram and the engine to help you pdf for download -
thank