Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow....

Dandy Dave

I thought we got spared yesterday at about 10 AM it was sunny and nice with no snow at all. The we got 6 inches in 2 hours. Our worst storm so far was 12-16 inches of Concrete before Christmas. You got rain out of that one. We were right on the edge of the transition line. The radar kept saying rain but out the window it looked like it was raining snow balls. The worst part is we were closing on our new house and still had to get a fuel truck up the 600' driveway with a hill as the tanks had less than 50 gallons in them.

The only saving grace as the previous owner did a terrible job of plowing the driveway waiting until after it was all over (not good) was I got a new snow removal tool. I'll post a picture later today.

Stay warm and hope for spring.

Here is my new snow fighter. I have the Bucket as well. Can't beat the heated cab and radio. Takes about an hour and 1 gallon of Diesel to do my drive and yard. Not the fun I had with my Corvette, but sure beats a shovel or snow Blower, especially when it's 10 degrees and the wind and snow are blowing. . post-43003-143142953469_thumb.jpg

I actually bought it used from a guy that does fabrication work. He mounted the old used plow to a new plate that fits the quick release on the loader. It's run electrically so it's just a couple of plugs to hook it up. My power angle quit working though so I have to figure that out. I can plow the whole yard and drive with it angled the way it is pretty well though.

I also got a Dozer blade (pretty much a heavy duty version of this unit that runs off the tractor hydraulics, a Cherry picker and a set of Forks mounted on their own plate as well. Now I just need the backhoe attachment.

This is one of those things though. I bought it through a friend from the original owner. It's got 350 hours on it and looks to have been fairly well taken care of. In his business of heavy equipment repair he is fanatical with maintenance and having everything just so. I didn't look it over super critically thinking everything should be good to go. Oh well, I'm still learning. The washer tank is split in half, one tail light and one headlight were blown, the revolving light on the back that was added looks to have been installed well but doesn't work, and one of the grease fittings on the loader attachment was missing. Kind of makes you wonder. I was also suppose to get all the manuals but all he could find was the loader attachment manual. Not big stuff but all stuff I figured I wouldn't have to mess with. It wasn't exactly cheap either but I think I paid a fair price.

It is nice being so high for plowing. Plenty of lights as well for night plowing. It doesn't plow tight corners very well being out so far ahead of the wheels though. It is nice for pushing banks back, just ease the lever and you push the snow right up and over the bank like a ramp.

They are calling for 3-5 tomorrow night and another Noreaster type event on Sunday/Monday. Lets hope it misses us. I still have to pay my plow guy that plows the shop, 75.00 every time it snows. Lots of Below zero nights as well in the forecast. I can't wait for spring this year. Lots to do here. Moving snow feels like wasted time and materials that could be put to better use.

Kubota? or Kyoti? The Kubota's have proven to be a tough unit. Cannot tell you much about the Kyoti's. Not many around here. Glad to see the seat on your Snow Shovel is heated. ;) Dandy Dave!

It's a Kioti. Kubota's were a bit pricier even used and finding clean used machines is tough. I've heard good things about Kioti. Let's hope. I probably would have gotten a bit smaller Kubota for what I paid for this. It's a 45 HP model. 4 wheel drive Shuttle shift. I know parts availability (because of alot less dealers) is a bit tougher but with the internet lets hope I can find anything I need. We do have a Kioti dealer about 30 minutes away though, that is happy to ship parts so you don't even need to go the dealership if you don't need it right away.

I'm thinking I may get a rear blower for next year. We'll see how it goes this year with the plow.

I was actually looking for an old John Deere 310 or similar Cat until I took a good look at my Driveway and realized I wouldn't have enough room to turn it around. Those machines were very well used in my price range :)

Snow Blowers only work well in powdery snow. Wet and heavy snow and they tend to plug. It should serve you OK moving snow. I see the Kioti advertised on RFD TV from time to time. I have a friend with a Rhino Tractor. Those were a Chinese built unit. It has been great for my job security in the repair business. Dandy Dave!

I guess it's one step above China. It's made in Korea. I would have loved to buy a John Deere but I didn't want to have to take out a Mortgage to buy a used one. I also heard that the smaller Deere tractors like this size aren't made in the USA anyways. The guys on the Kioti Forums seem to like them and the issues with them weren't real significant for the most part. Mostly easy stuff that didn't cost much. I did find a 65 HP kioti with 9,900 hours on it. Alot of members had over 1000 hours on their units with no real problems. Lets hope mine follows suit. I already bought the workshop manual for it just to have.

The guy I bought it from has a heavy equipment mobile repair business and charges 50.00 an hour usually fixing Skidders and Loaders so he said anything that broke he would help me fix. Lets hope he sticks with that promise. You can't get much fixed for 50.00 an hour any more. I usually do my own work anyways so it would have to be somewhat major to need help.

I just bought a "new" 87 Ford L9000 dump truck and attached a 13' snow plow to it and filled the dump with 6 tons of rock.

It doesn't even know that there is snow in front of it as I cruse across the parking lot. I can't wait for tonight's snow. I was disappointed at the last storm when we were suppose to get 18" and only 8" fell. Maybe tonight we will get 2' (wishful thinking)

Roger

Ps, I am much better at building snow plows that posting pictures.

Don't forget the cold as well. Suppose to be -10 tonight. Single digits today low teens tomorrow. Wind chills of -30. Thank god that seat is heated. Just dumped another 100.00 in Kerosene in the shop tank and cleaned the filter as it was starting to act up. That's just the backup overnight heat as I have been burning a wheel barrow full of wood every day and 1/2. Thankfully the new house is insulated pretty darn well so I probably burn less fuel here than to heat my shop on backup. My shop here at the house is getting 6 inches of glass in the walls and 2 inches of foam inside. I'm even thinking of building inside storm windows for it as well. I would rather use the extra money for cars than heating every winter.

I think we have 4-6 right now. Estimates are 6-20". Got to love the span.

Guest Skyking

Yesterday there were 4 girls sun bathing 4 houses down from me. I was actually sweating from the heat. Keep the white stuff north from here.

We got 12 inches plus. I was going to just blaze a trail down our 600 foot driveway and wait to plow until I cam home tonight. Then I realized at that point we had over 8 inches and I better get the tractor out. Took about 2 hours and the end of the drive is a mess. I'll have to put the bucket on for that one.

I just got back in tonight. Hopefully the snow has finally stopped so I can plow the next 6 inches off we got and get the bucket on so I can go find the mail box.

So you don't want me to talk about yesterday - Superbowl Sunday?

Shorts and Flip-Flops...

Sunny and high 70s....

Top down....

OK, I won't talk about it...

SNOW??? Heck, my tulips are coming up!!! It was 66F last week and 50F today. Haven't had snow (2 inches) since the beginning of December. I'm supposed to be living in "the great white North"? :cool: :D

Terry

I never take the bucket off of the Buick Snow Master. I've moved snow with about every kind of machine at one time or another. I still Like using the Buick Snow Master the best. On the farm we had a John Deere snow plow on a 4230 John Deere tractor with tire chains. That thing would slide off of the road and get stuck on a patch of Ice sometimes. And I have moved snow with Bulldozers. On Ice on a hill they tend to slide sideways because the tracks grousers act like a multitude of sleigh runners. Snow blowers tend to plug in wet and heavy snow. Old Highway trucks with a wing plow only move the snow in one direction. I ran a 1957 FWD years ago. A 3/4ths ton truck with a plow. Everyone that has ever had one of these knows what happens when you go just a little too far and end up just over the last pile of snow that was pushed up. The nice thing about this particular loader backhoe is it is well balanced. Some thing someone who has not run a lot of equipment would not feel in a machine. Also, If you do get in a position that you do slide off of a road, All you need to do is reach out with the backhoe and get yourself back on the road. This particular machine has a lower center of gravity than some others I have run, So it won't flop on its side so quick. Also, If the front end gets over a bank often all you need to do is reach out with the hoe to get the weight off of the front wheels and 99 times out of 100 it backs right out. I have one real miserable driveway I help a Neighbor with when the snow gets deep. Guess I'll have to take some photos and show you guys, Not a driveway for the faint of heart, or inexperienced. All hills and turns in the middle of the woods. Dandy Dave!

Surprisingly my little rig seems to be working out OK. That heated seat sure was nice last night when it was atleast -10. I knew it had to be cold, I've never seen the exhaust build ice on the loader arms before. Overnight low was -26.

Second plowing was pretty easy as there was only 6 inches of fluff.

I swapped the bucket on, it only takes about 5 minutes. Most of that is because I have to roll it over to the tractor bay. Then I cleaned out the bottom of the driveway to find the mail box. I definitely need a bigger Snow bucket and to cut down a couple more trees (even though I cut down a few hundred this fall) at the end of the drive. The 1 inch ice storm that we got over a week ago really solidified the banks underneath. That made it a little hard to move the banks.

The chains and 4 wheel drive seem to do the job pretty well. I never had to use the differential lock. We've got 600 feet of driveway before you reach the parking lot at the top There is one 90 degree corner but it's not real sharp and about a 200 foot hill that my wife thinks is steep but could be alot worse.

I'm so glad I didn't buy a pickup truck to plow with. A blower would have been good for it yesterday but I know as you mentioned with the wet snow they are pretty much useless. Lets hope we get some melting before we get our next big round.

After cleaning the driveway three times on Sunday with the last one at 12:30 AM due to my son getting his Grand Am stuck half on the road and driveway, still woke up to this:

post-36036-143142960963_thumb.jpg

I have to keep reminding myself that at this time last year, this was all too normal........

AND....

Then there was the comment from my wife, "You put this up for me because????"

post-36036-143142961248_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142960958_thumb.jpg

So you don't want me to talk about yesterday - Superbowl Sunday?

Shorts and Flip-Flops...

Sunny and high 70s....

Top down....

OK, I won't talk about it...

That's It Marty, I'm moving where you are! :P If we had that kind of weather, we would be skinny dipping up here. :o Dandy Dave!