For The Kids Car Show

TAKerry

Local show today. Put on and judged by the kids that attend the local vo tech automotive program. There were a couple of females in the mix as students, just an fyi.

These are most of the cars that are appropriate/semi appropriate for this forum. There were a lot of hot rods and newer stuff, mostly mustangs and new corvettes.

54011572981_b7bd0954ae_c.jpg20240921_095933 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

54010674352_c768ac88d9_c.jpg20240921_095910 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr54011998095_2bc58c293f_c.jpg20240921_095953 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr54011997640_40864d09be_c.jpg20240921_100004 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr54011572036_1130953537_c.jpg20240921_100230 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr54011996990_5a444f297e_c.jpg20240921_100237 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

• Like 10

This was their 3rd year in a new location as they outgrew the first place. That chevelle was really nice and the deuce/nova convertible was an AACA senior car. It was the only other car besides mine that had an AACA  badge, although quite a few could have them.

I liked the barracuda as well and I dont really care for mopar stuff.

There were about 4 groups of 5 or so kids each carrying clip boards. I dare say at that age (I may be stereotyping) I think they were more interested in the motors than the overall car. When I saw them during the judging phase, they were always gravitated towards the engine bays, not really looking around at the cars. A bit prejudiced but it would be nice to have them do something akin to AACA judging (hmm, wonder if they need any suggestion for next year?)

Any way the 'best of show' winner was an AC Cobra replica. 

My son and I got a bit of a chuckle when they started handing out trophies. We typically dont stick around for that part as thats not really why we go to shows but figured what the heck this time as the show wasnt overly long. They started to announce winners by car no. only. The announcements went something like this.... The winners are car #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, etc. they skipped a few numbers along the way but you should get the point. Aleks' car was 135 and I was 136. He joked to me and said 'I guess we wont win, they cant have that many trophies'😁, But alas they did and we both got one😬 The plaque on the bottom reads best 100 cars. I said they may as well have just handed out dash plaques. I am appreciative of their efforts but it was pretty funny seeing 95% of the participants winning.

• Like 3

Your son’s Holden GTO and your TA look great! The flag displayed with the GTO might have been unusual to some who don’t know the history behind it but I find it an excellent addition to your display.  Seeing how young people react to cars is always fun to observe.  I look at hot wheels cars and wonder who likes the many variations they create and it gets a little clearer what the youngsters must like because they seem to sell well.  Again, thanks for taking us along to this show.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TAKerry said:

There were a couple of females in the mix as students, just an fyi.

GREAT to read that!!! I hope and wish more would be interested . One of the greatest automotive writers and historians of all time was a WOMAN. Bev Kimes who was a good friend of mine for decades. I met her at Austin Clark's house doing research . She and her husband Jim Cox were very close fiends.

• Like 1