FS: Not Mine. 1929 Studebaker President Brougham

This is a very interesting car. It was one of Studebaker’s top of the line models in 1929 - and, I think, in 1930. The body style is identical to Pierce Arrow’s Club Berline sedan of those same years. The description says it has a 135” wheelbase - compared to Pierce’s 133” wheelbase.

This one seems to be in nice condition, but has (for me) a major flaw: The fuel system has been converted to a downdraft carburetor. I think the intake manifold is original, and I suspect it had to have been modified to accept that carburetor. If the proper updraft carburetor (I think it was a Stromberg UU2), proper manifold, and carburetor linkage were available this would be a very desirable car. As it is, I think it is significantly overpriced.

An advertisement is posted on Hemmings. Here is the link

https://www.hemmings.com/listing/1929-studebaker-president-853721

1929 Studebaker President.png

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 8.35.46 PM.png

• Like 11

$26,500 doesn't seem crazy to me. Entry-level Full Classic, unusual, handsome, practical. A little scruffy, maybe, but I bet some buffing on that paint would brighten it up and then it's full of Saturday afternoon projects without taking it off the road. A different set of tires would probably make a big difference, too.

• Like 7

After studying the photo of the engine those manifolds sure look like an unmolested set. They might be off of something newer but even the way the heat riser chamber is placed under the intake manifold doesn't leave room for there having been an updraft carburetor. I don't know much about Studebakers but I have worked around a lot of castings and I can't see anything that looks like it's been altered.

I'd sure like to see it in person. 

• Like 2

Very appealing car.  Rare configuration.  Has a nice "lived in" patina.  Tasteful colors. Could almost pass for a preserved original.  As for the downdraft carb, it probably runs a lot better with it so I would not bother me to run it that way as long as it performs well.  99% of viewers would not know it is incorrect.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

A different set of tires would probably make a big difference, too.

Six months ago I swapped the tires on my 1929 Studebaker President Brougham from white walls to black walls.   When I decided to sell the eight Lester white wall tires that I had after the swap this 1929 President Brougham was pulled out of long term storage about an hour drive from me.   The new owner bought my tires and shipped both the President the tires to New Mexico.    

Here are before and after pictures of my President Brougham and what the engine looks like with the stock updraft carburetor.  I have driven my President for 25 years with the stock updraft carburetor for thousands of miles including high elevation mountains with no issues.  

IMG_9817.jpeg

IMG_1321.jpeg

IMG_9740.jpeg

Edited by Mark Huston (see edit history)
  • Like 15

26 minutes ago, cjmarzoli said:

And the price just dropped, to $21,900.  An even better deal now!

Now it’s a great deal!  Someone on the forum needs to buy this car and start a thread about making it roadworthy so we can all enjoy the ride.

Kent

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, tom_in_nh said:

The distributor in the original poster's photo does not appear to be original, either.

Buyer beware of any other non-original fixes, mechanical or otherwise.

The car has a nice look to it but I agree and don't like the down draft conversion.  It makes me wonder what other "upgrades" the car has suffered.

• 3 weeks later...