Old Ford Flathead V8 in pieces in the garage. Worth selling?

My father passed away last year. We've been slowly going through the house and cleaning it out and getting it ready to sell. One of the items that has been sitting in the garage, in pieces, since I was a kid, is an old Ford Flathead V8. The block has been sitting on end in my Dad's shop with the rest of the parts (pistons, crank, belly pan, heads, etc.) sitting in boxes in the back shed. Everything is rusty, but it all appears to be all there. Not sure what year or specific model, but, just in general, do you all think it's worth trying to sell, or just throw it in a metal hopper for the recycler?

We've reached a point of exhaustion trying to piecemeal everything out, so if it turns out to be a "Easy sale once you do X, Y, Z..." then forget it; the scrap metal guys can have it. At the same point in time, I'd hate to scrap it if it's all something that someone could use, you know? (and if we can make a couple of bucks for my Mom, then Bonus!) 

Just looking for opinions.

Location?

Photo's?  Are variations with Ford V8's

Unfortunately a lot of (good) parts from estates go to scrap metal.

Too hard to identify and even if identified not easy to sell part by part.

• Thanks 1

Reaching out here is a good start. I have no idea on the value but I would think it is limited for what someone will get in return. There may be a few people that would take it off your hands but not willing to pay for it. You may have just as much luck advertising it for free in FB. Dont get greedy and  be happy that someone is willing to take it off your hands. 

My next door neighbor passed away a few years ago, he was a mechanic/restorer. He had 2 dozen pontiac motors in various states of repair. I am a pontiac guy and although I would not have minded having some of them, I had no place just to store them for the next guy. They all went to the scrap yard. Parts like this are great to have for one specific person, anyone else is a crapshoot.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

IMO, "mercer09" & "TAKerry" are likely offering most sensible advice, except I would add that you could offer them "for free" somehow locally (craigslist, FB, etc or by going to a local old car event/show and find owners with cars featuring similar engines) to anyone able & willing to pick them up (at your convenience) and take "everything" (some people have a tendency to nitpick and only take some of the pieces).

And if they are great and true old car enthusiasts/individuals, they might offer some token of appreciation. If not, oh well, at least you got rid of everything knowing they may not end in scrap metal bin.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 4

A Facebook offer in exchange for a six pack.

Maybe get greedy and ask for a twelve pack.

Seriously though, there are flathead guys out there, you just need to flush them out.

• Like 2

Good flathead blocks are scarce and getting expensive. Trouble is that with an unknown history engine the buyer is taking a bit of a chance that the engine will be rebuildable. Mercury flatheads sell for a substantial premium.  

I never seem to see core flatheads selling for less than $250 - $500 around here.

• Like 1

1912 is right. There is a big demand for good flathead blocks that are not cracked. Cracked blocks are a dime a dozen. Look for cracks around the exhaust valve seats.

If your engine was torn down all those years ago maybe it is one of the few with low mileage and no cracks. Value depends on the year and model and how bad the buyer needs it.

Even with a bad block the crankshaft, rods etc must have some value. I would try to sell it for the value 1912 puts on it but not be too hard especially if the block is cracked.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TTR said:

IMO, "mercer09" & "TAKerry" are likely offering most sensible advice, except I would add that you could offer them "for free" somehow locally (craigslist, FB, etc or by going to a local old car event/show and find owners with cars featuring similar engines) to anyone able & willing to pick them up (at your convenience) and take "everything" (some people have a tendency to nitpick and only take some of the pieces).

And if they are great and true old car enthusiasts/individuals, they might offer some token of appreciation. If not, oh well, at least you got rid of everything knowing they may not end in scrap metal bin.

P.S. Random online opinions, especially on values of anything, from strangers around the world are likely worth less than any others. Only meaningful opinion on value of anything is that of the person with cash in hand ready to buy now.

Rest, just hyperbole. I learned this already in my early teens and subsequent decades are yet to prove it wrong.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The most modern flat head Fords were made over 70 years ago, and "someone" somewhere will want it! The problem is letting them know you have it (good start posting here). I think to offer it for a realistic price such as those who have advised suggested will let someone who is actually interested know you are serious but may make some of the "magpies" that will grab anything just because its free stay away. I have regularly given stuff away that was advertised with a price but let go for free or sometimes very little because I knew although someone may want it, it's true value was just as scrap. Thing is, it gives you a good feeling knowing you are passing it on and even if that person doesn't use it, it is still in the system and stands a good chance of being used somewhere, sometime by someone. You have to remember our "hobby" is based on returning "scrap" most people have given up on back into something we can enjoy. 

• Like 1

You might contact Matt or Mike at Iron Trap Garage in Penn.  They are constantly turning over Ford flathead V8s, 85s and 60s.  They might be interested if close to them or, if not, might be able to steer you to somebody in your area that might be interested.  They have a website, You Tube channel and are all over Facebook, etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

You might contact Matt or Mike at Iron Trap Garage in Penn.  They are constantly turning over Ford flathead V8s, 85s and 60s.  They might be interested if close to them or, if not, might be able to steer you to somebody in your area that might be interested.  They have a website, You Tube channel and are all over Facebook, etc.

Ha, ha! I watch their YouTube channel all the time. It's all Mike's fault that I have had delusions of trying to get the thing together and running myself! :D My personal skillset, toolage, working space (and budget) are a bit prohibitive to that option, though. ;) 

The engine is located in Central Vermont. When I'm at the house next, I'll get a few pictures to post. 

Along with the flathead, we have 2 Ford 351W's, 2 GM 2.8 V6's and a GM 4.3 V6. Not to mention all the transmissions we've found... We've got out work cut out for us cleaning it all out. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...