The Story Of A Haynes Model 50

3 minutes ago, Roy Haynes said:

Hey Bob. Looking good! Very nice! Glad you are moving forward. We are just now working on getting old tires off. We found some fairly new white walls in Tucson Az last year. Still don’t really know what we are going to do about the engine.

Thanks Roy, 

Hopefully something will work out with your engine soon. Good deal on finding the tires! What a relief it is to have a good rolling project. I’ve learned a lot and hopefully I can help you with information on your car. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Lahti35 said:

Coming along nicely... Great job on the water pump shaft repair!

Thanks, I was concerned that pressing off the impeller to make another shaft would break it. So luckily I’ve got access to our flamespray equipment. I undercut the shaft .035 and then used a coarse steel shot media blast on it. The material was applied is four light coats. This allows for less heat saturation which provides better bond and eliminates distortion of the part of which it’s being applied. 

The chrome, nickel and molybdenum takes special care when turning but makes an excellent seal surface. Abrasion resistant far beyond the mild steel of the shaft and perfect for the rope seal and bushing areas. This really saved me a lot of time spent in fabricating new parts. I did have a friend spray the shaft of whom is the best I know with the application of this. There’s an art to it, somewhere between painting, welding and torch cutting. 

Last week and this week progress is slowing unfortunately. Mowing and taking care of things for my in-laws and dealing with other family responsibilities will slow me down a couple weeks. Along with my pesky full time work gig! Lol

Headed four hours away to my dad’s after I finish my coffee this morning! Tis the season for zero turn mower, 4 wheeler and tractor repairs. 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)

Chapter 8 

I pulled the big by large starter off. It’s a large Leece Neville unit. I cleaned the brushes and commutator along with the bendix. 

It spins well on the bench but I believe needs to be completely torn down and gone thru. 

IMG_0698.jpeg

IMG_0692.jpeg

IMG_0696.jpeg

IMG_0697.jpeg

• Like 7

L-N units are typically 12 volt even in the teens. Seems they were popular on aircraft engines more than cars and trucks. I’m guessing it’s a two wire system. 

• Like 2

After spray welding the shaft I’m surprised it could be cut on a lathe. I would have expected it to be so hard that only a grinder would touch it. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, edinmass said:

After spray welding the shaft I’m surprised it could be cut on a lathe. I would have expected it to be so hard that only a grinder would touch it. 

If it’s applied with too much heat you can’t cut it. It cuts well when applied correctly but cut it to fast and it work hardens then you’re done. When applying the metal powder it it’s too hot it basically burns the material. Too much gas pressure on the acetylene side can do this. Or, too much buildup too fast instead of light passes allowing for cooling and not heat soaking the material. 

We typically use ceramic inserts when cutting it. Small jobs can be done with carbide like the brazed tool I was using in the picture. The carbide breaks down when turning  larger items. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

L-N units are typically 12 volt even in the teens. Seems they were popular on aircraft engines more than cars and trucks. I’m guessing it’s a two wire system. 

The manual says I can use a 6 or 8 volt battery. The starter and generator are very well built. Heavy duty internals on both. Working on such solid old pieces  is really enjoyable. I wish everything was built with such durable and serviceable materials and engineering. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Chapter 9 

The old Rayfield carb needed to be disassembled and cleaned. Luckily everything was is great condition but dirty. 
IMG_0855.jpeg.446a13ea2634d4016fdc8b3b8b036a09.jpeg

IMG_0851.jpeg.c80151c6728b717302e8df71832c0d1f.jpegIMG_0850.jpeg.5d5f225bd661738e2b8cce7b0336352c.jpeg
I forgot to take good before pics. IMG_0858.jpeg.8bc0b7520cf2f5def70384facc98566f.jpegIMG_0857.jpeg.082778f00b1a3298498a7aa62b079dd0.jpegIMG_0856.jpeg.9e35afe389b414db22bbaf94d026707a.jpegAfter disassembly and hot tanking the carb, the main body got a very gentle glass beading. I didn’t remove the the center assembly. I was afraid the screw that anchors it to a butterfly could break. I cleaned everything well and washed the carb again thoroughly. IMG_0874.jpeg.d97941f4c9aa6e20ff971f720146554c.jpegIMG_0875.jpeg.304923dadd4e9e11718b36f7d81cfd08.jpegIMG_0876.jpeg.5daaa95afef703c725683669510c43ea.jpeg
I’m very impressed by how well made this carburetor is! The Rayfield M3 all cleaned up and ready for reassembly. 
IMG_0888.jpeg.6f738ec1f7d348bc405edd30268e229e.jpegIMG_0890.jpeg.093ed6a1a0746f3ea2986bd833b97091.jpegIMG_0893.jpeg.fb73fb8eab0096bc176cb10905184f8f.jpegIMG_0892.jpeg.18c6a0b3c0fc8245ec854e81c614f43f.jpegIMG_0889.jpeg.d9e1f457ce40dfa0f9e2bf2291979bf8.jpegIMG_0894.jpeg.e1e352f4c01efa27b7e787210544c15b.jpeg
After reassembly it looks like a piece of industrial art to me! This has been a very fun project. Time is becoming an issue at the moment so I’ll be adding updates as I can. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Chapter 10

With the carb reassembled and generator cleaned up and lubed, it was time to start putting parts back on the engine. 
IMG_0623.jpeg.9bf3d27716781ff83ebdc05f1b968e91.jpegIMG_0674.jpeg.6e923301c37ec58addc06bbe21059212.jpegIMG_0823.jpeg.59bcfdc4bbba4bdb29c72dc3291dcf98.jpegA bit of a before and after. A soft bristle brush in a drill with cleaner and a rinse really showed the brass oil pump and regulator along with the aluminum crankcase. 

IMG_0830.jpeg.8621f60543c175514a02f1f08388d94d.jpeg
IMG_0831.jpeg.20920646e00dfdd81e747367ec25640a.jpeg
Water pump reinstalled along with generator. I haven’t installed hoses since I’m looking to fire the engine and check all vitals before purchasing plug wires, hoses etc. 

IMG_0837.jpeg.6580061eb14b8f20ea1a596e1bf95a18.jpegIMG_0833.jpeg.6fdf3b344c3a00f53082be634ca74583.jpegIMG_0834.jpeg.e7040eea5f3ceeb0f968d3ca7a67e061.jpegSo it was here I finally added power to the original wiring. Amazingly with just some wiggles of wires, the first signs of life in at least 50 years! Hi and low beams are working! 
My goal is to fire the engine and see what I have for a driveline before going to deep on all other aspects of repair. Signs are looking good so far! I was thrilled to see the headlights! 

• Like 17

Just be careful with that wiring that the car doesn't take up smoking! Battery completely disconnected when you are not right there working on it. And keep good fire extinguishers handy.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Just be careful with that wiring that the car doesn't take up smoking! Battery completely disconnected when you are not right there working on it. And keep good fire extinguishers handy.

Yes, I don’t leave any power connected unless I’m with it. The circuit breaker is working and I’ve followed the harness and cables with a temp gun. No hot spots thank goodness. The wiring is actually in surprisingly good shape. I’ve got tons to do yet but glad to see something working. Ammeter jumps when the breaker is flipped off and on. I suspect it’s functional as well. The main power/battery cables will need to be replaced at some point. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roy Haynes said:

Hey Bob, we are missing the generator on our car. Was wondering if can you give me the generator brand and any generalities about it.    Thanks Roy

Roy, I’ll send you a pm. 

1 hour ago, Roy Haynes said:

Hey Bob, we are missing the generator on our car. Was wondering if can you give me the generator brand and any generalities about it.    Thanks Roy

My car is equipped with Leece Neville units. I can’t say what would be on your car exactly as it’s a different year. Hopefully you have the same unit. Gonna be a tough find 

IMG_0820.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 11

After reinstalling distributor and checking wiring I found a few issues that I’d expected. The solenoid for the starter needs to be rebuilt and my coil is bad. Since nobody alive now can tell me how the car ran I want to be sure I’ve got a solid engine. A former neighbor to the property the car was in remembered it running In the early 70’s and sadly he passed about ten years ago. 

I found a Tennessee tag from 72 in the car that aligns with his testimony. Knowing it hasn’t ran in around 50 years I just wanted to establish what I’ve got. I had put diesel in the crankcase a long time ago and have soaked the cylinders with trans fluid, mystery oil etc. I drained the oil into a clean pan looking for any metallic glitter, sludge or water. I was thrilled that there was no evidence of any problems. So, I filled it back with 15/40 Delo and cranked it over to build oil pressure. I’d primed the external oil pump and regulator. 

Crudely installed some good wires I had in the garage with a modern 6 volt coil and gave it a try. No bueno, had spark but weak and erratic looking. Pulled everything apart wondering if I had an issue with something grounding or intermittent wire issue. After I had total confidence I turned to the new condenser. It was bad! I swapped it with one from the 327 out of my 62 Impala which hasn’t ran since 96 and wallah!! 

The Haynes fired and ran for the first time since before I was born!!! I didn’t take many good pictures here. The heat and humidity with less time lately attributed to that. The clutch works and all gears are engaging fine. Haven’t ran it long since I’ve not added water yet but it runs like a sewing machine. 

Now, everything is ahead of me but I know it’s a runner! Everything will get cleaned, inspected and re-lubricated. Hopefully not too many items need reconditioning beyond cleaning and lubrication. 

BTW, after the first start I had neighbors calling concerned my garage was on fire! lol 

IMG_0980.jpeg

IMG_0978.jpeg

IMG_0984.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

Chapter 11

After reinstalling distributor and checking wiring I found a few issues that I’d expected. The solenoid for the starter needs to be rebuilt and my coil is bad. Since nobody alive now can tell me how the car ran I want to be sure I’ve got a solid engine. A former neighbor to the property the car was in remembered it running In the early 70’s and sadly he passed about ten years ago. 

I found a Tennessee tag from 72 in the car that aligns with his testimony. Knowing it hasn’t ran in around 50 years I just wanted to establish what I’ve got. I had put diesel in the crankcase a long time ago and have soaked the cylinders with trans fluid, mystery oil etc. I drained the oil into a clean pan looking for any metallic glitter, sludge or water. I was thrilled that there was no evidence of any problems. So, I filled it back with 15/40 Delo and cranked it over to build oil pressure. I’d primed the external oil pump and regulator. 

Crudely installed some good wires I had in the garage with a modern 6 volt coil and gave it a try. No bueno, had spark but weak and erratic looking. Pulled everything apart wondering if I had an issue with something grounding or intermittent wire issue. After I had total confidence I turned to the new condenser. It was bad! I swapped it with one from the 327 out of my 62 Impala which hasn’t ran since 96 and wallah!! 

The Haynes fired and ran for the first time since before I was born!!! I didn’t take many good pictures here. The heat and humidity with less time lately attributed to that. The clutch works and all gears are engaging fine. Haven’t ran it long since I’ve not added water yet but it runs like a sewing machine. 

Now, everything is ahead of me but I know it’s a runner! Everything will get cleaned, inspected and re-lubricated. Hopefully not too many items need reconditioning beyond cleaning and lubrication. 

BTW, after the first start I had neighbors calling concerned my garage was on fire! lol 

IMG_0980.jpeg

IMG_0978.jpeg

IMG_0984.jpeg

Congratulations!!  That has to feel great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

IMG_1028.jpeg.3157cb6b3fbf8a461298e0c1768c525f.jpegI had to pull it out and move it around a little under its own power. All gears work along with brakes. It was so awesome just moving it around a few minutes! 
Now everything has to come apart and much more work to be done. This has been a very motivating moment with the project! Thanks to all for the positivity and encouragement! IMG_1117.jpeg.c05ea2b6dbfcf09489f248dabba41969.jpeg

After I backed it in and put it to bed. Very short trip in and out of the garage but what journey it was to get here! 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, BobinVirginia said:

IMG_1028.jpeg.3157cb6b3fbf8a461298e0c1768c525f.jpegI had to pull it out and move it around a little under its own power. All gears work along with brakes. It was so awesome just moving it around a few minutes! 
Now everything has to come apart and much more work to be done. This has been a very motivating moment with the project! Thanks to all for the positivity and encouragement! IMG_1117.jpeg.c05ea2b6dbfcf09489f248dabba41969.jpeg

After I backed it in and put it to bed. Very short trip in and out of the garage but what journey it was to get here! 

If only I could give two thumbs up… 😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Since this engine has pressurized mains and an externally plumbed oil pump. I’ve been considering putting an inline oil filter on the engine. I plan on touring this and I’m not concerned with show points but rather preserving the bottom end. 
Would any of you have recommendations on a good flowing low pressure filter setup? 

12 minutes ago, BobinVirginia said:

Since this engine has pressurized mains and an externally plumbed oil pump. I’ve been considering putting an inline oil filter on the engine. I plan on touring this and I’m not concerned with show points but rather preserving the bottom end. 
Would any of you have recommendations on a good flowing low pressure filter setup? 

My recommendation is ………nothing. We can talk it over at the Pierce Meet next month. 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm curious to hear Ed's take on this. I have severe reservations myself about adding paper full flow filters to an engine that wasn't designed for them but when I made the oil pump for my Mitchell I incorporated a fine screen filter...more like the wire mesh you see on filters in the sump. The MItchell filter is a vane pump. It sucks the oil up from the sump rather than being submerged so there is no place to put a screen on the sump side.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

I'm curious to hear Ed's take on this. I have severe reservations myself about adding paper full flow filters to an engine that wasn't designed for them but when I made the oil pump for my Mitchell I incorporated a fine screen filter...more like the wire mesh you see on filters in the sump. The MItchell filter is a vane pump. It sucks the oil up from the sump rather than being submerged so there is no place to put a screen on the sump side.

This is exactly why I posted the question. I’d like to hear about what others have done or experienced. I’m concerned with the low operating pressure any filtration would starve it. So, I figured I’d ask. 

I change the oil HOT (and let it drain awhile) in such cars once a year, irrespective of miles, usually just before laying them up for the winter.  With modern dispersant "detergent" oils, that will be just fine.

Edited by Grimy
added a few words (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started the Haynes again today for an old friend. We couldn’t help but discuss where the car could’ve possibly driven and appreciated the fact we were hearing the same engine someone fired the first time in 1920 when the car was being built. That’s really what I love about these old cars. I can time travel back to an experience my grandparents had. I suppose this sentiment is pretty common with us old car guys? It’s much different than just seeing pictures or watching videos. 

Anyone else ponder who, what and where with old cars like this? Cool stuff 

• Like 9

On 8/13/2024 at 8:26 PM, BobinVirginia said:

Started the Haynes again today for an old friend. We couldn’t help but discuss where the car could’ve possibly driven and appreciated the fact we were hearing the same engine someone fired the first time in 1920 when the car was being built. That’s really what I love about these old cars. I can time travel back to an experience my grandparents had. I suppose this sentiment is pretty common with us old car guys? It’s much different than just seeing pictures or watching videos. 

Anyone else ponder who, what and where with old cars like this? Cool stuff 

Yes. When I sit in an old car I sometimes wonder who the first owner was that bought it new and how proud they must've been. Perhaps the family had saved up to be able to purchase the car and it was their first, perhaps replacing old Dobbin and the buggy. I imagine sometimes how difficult it might've been for the owner to learn how to drive it, perhaps never have driven an automobile before. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2024 at 9:38 PM, pkhammer said:

Yes. When I sit in an old car I sometimes wonder who the first owner was that bought it new and how proud they must've been. Perhaps the family had saved up to be able to purchase the car and it was their first, perhaps replacing old Dobbin and the buggy. I imagine sometimes how difficult it might've been for the owner to learn how to drive it, perhaps never have driven an automobile before. 

I know the car was bought new and registered in Washington D.C. then where it landed before I got it. That’s about it. Given the price point of the car, I’d say a middle income professional of some sort bought it new? Eventually I hope to learn more. 
Pretty cool thinking about where all the car may have been driven and by whom. 

• Like 4