1957 BelAir convertible, totally restored, Texas car, selling for estate

For sale in Bonham, Texas (NE of Dallas), running, driving, totally restored, 1957 BelAir convertible, well equipped with power steering, power brakes, PowerGlide automatic, dual radio antennas, "Wonderbar" radio, continental spare tire, fender skirts, 4-barrel power pack 283 with dual exhausts. The restoration is about 10 years old, body was taken off of frame, underside is as clean as the top side. Correct red & silver upholstery. Very few miles since the restoration, always garaged. Car was originally from SE Oklahoma, so no rust. $82,000 or close offer. Can send more photos to those who are seriously interested.

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1064.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

• Like 4

Looking back, didn't these '57 BelAir convertibles go for around $150k before the great recession, at least at auction?

Considering the devaluation of the dollar due to inflation, that's more than a significant drop. 

I swear this is one of those cars that somebody "created a market".  Back in the 90s a few of them sold for stupid money at BJ and all of a sudden the other 20k that were still around quadrupled in price.

They go for about 1/2 of what they did 20 years ago.    Which is still double what they should.  

I agree a documented fuelie or dual quad car should bring money.  But not the other 95%.

• Like 5

For $82,000, could you please put new plug wires WITHOUT blue tape on them and a new distributor cap WITHOUT masking tape on it. And while you're under the hood, how about getting rid of all the sh--ty wiring under there, and for cripe sakes, dust/wash the air cleaner. Little crap like that makes one wonder what other stuff is wrong that may not be real visible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The latter day nostalgia darling of the fabulous fifties. However, they looked downright dowdy next to the stunning '57 Fury, and the '57 Fairlane. Ford outsold Chevy in '57.

They became popular as used cars with the hot rod crowd, and that's where the "fame" started. 

I always walk by the '55-7 Chevys at a show. It's like they're still making them. In fact, they are... you can buy bodies.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

I swear this is one of those cars that somebody "created a market".  Back in the 90s a few of them sold for stupid money at BJ and all of a sudden the other 20k that were still around quadrupled in price.

They go for about 1/2 of what they did 20 years ago.    Which is still double what they should.  

I agree a documented fuelie or dual quad car should bring money.  But not the other 95%.

I was in high school in the mid-eighty's and these cars (1957 Chevrolet convertible) were NOT even 30 years old but were ICONIC   Every ad that wanted to inspire nostalgia had a 1957 Chevrolet convertible in the advertisement. 

As the board always says the buyer sets the price, but it is hard to loose money on a 1957 chevrolet. 

• Like 3

This is a very nice looking car. With a good options list. I like it a lot. The asking price doesn’t seem out of whack to me, although I have to admit it’s been several years since I followed these closely. Sounds like the restoration started with a rust free base, which to me is a big bonus. Plenty of repro parts available but they always take some massaging to fit right. 

I had a ‘57 Chevy and enjoyed it. Mine was not a convertible. You do see them around more than some cars but mine still drew a lot of attention. They are certainly iconic and people love to talk about their memories of these. 

I would lose the Continental kit but that’s just my personal preference. 

• Like 2

100% on losing the continental kit.  Personally I like this car in black better than red or turquiose.  The powerpack is a nice option as well.

A nice 2 door hardtop though lends itself better, IMO to a set of Cragar Supersports for regular use and WWW for the shows.

• Like 2

Nice enough car. Priced out of my zone. I know of at least 3 1957 Ford Fairlane convertibles for around $40k, so a bit less than 1/2 of asking price for the Chevy. I much prefer the Ford, then Plymouth, Chevy in 3rd place of the Low Priced 3 for 57.

I think I was about fourteen years old when I learned where number one was on a Chevy distributor, after that the firing order is printed on the intake manifold. I'm afraid that I would find all of that masking tape pretty embarrassing.