Packard overboard.

The car might not be repairable from getting wet?

I had a 1963 Rambler American that a drunk towboat cook drove into the Mississippi with only the trunk above water.

He gave me the car and I had it driving the next day. I drove it for 3 years without a problem.

• Like 3

Improper parking brake operation, or not securing the parking brake, not having the vehicle in gear when parked or no chock blocks being used.

Another 100 percent preventable incident.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

I had a 1963 Rambler American that a drunk towboat cook drove into the Mississippi with only the trunk above water.

He gave me the car and I had it driving the next day. I drove it for 3 years without a problem.

Right! Back when cars were simple, no electronics except for the radio (or Autronic eye), getting submerged was just a clean all the water out of places it shouldn't be, refill all the fluids and drive on.

I worked at the Richmond Wastewater Treatment Plant and our electrical crew trucks included two new 1972 C20 pickups with ladder racks. There was a picture hanging in the hallway among other showing the water level from Agnes flood. The picture showed two truck ladder racks about 2" above the muddy James River water. They were sitting inside the Administration building garage at the time. Yep, those two C20s we had in the electrical crew. All the city did in late June of 72 was hose them out, drain the oil, fuel tank, tranny and diff, refill the fluids and hand them back! They were still going strong when Ieft in 1982.👍

• Like 3

I don't think I can stand seeing anymore waterlogged '30's Packards!!

First, this one: 

Now this one!

Careful all you Packard owners! Check those brakes before leaving the vehicle!!

Craig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

First, this one: 

Apparently a judge got into this car and took it out of gear... Not owner fault, nor mechanical fault.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Apparently a judge got into this car and took it out of gear... Not owner fault, nor mechanical fault.

No judge should be allowed to enter inside a vehicle unless the owner is present.  The owner will know all its possible foibles and quirks it may have that can catch a concours judge off-guard with unintended consequences.   Forearmed is forewarned.

Craig

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

First, this one: 

Now this one!

Careful all you Packard owners! Check those brakes before leaving the vehicle!!

Craig

What is it with Packard's and water?  I witnessed the car go in the pond at Hilton Head.  It was not a pleasant sight.  

On 4/10/2024 at 11:46 AM, West Peterson said:

Was the judge getting into the car during judging with the permission & presence of owner or his/her appointed representative ?

If not, IMO, not only would’ve this been the fault (& liability) of the judge in question, but also the chief judge and organizers of the event.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Yikes! That is a buzzkill. When I was a kid, the neighbors dad took us fishing to the local lake. Guy was backing his boat down the ramp with a 65/66 mustang. As soon as he hit the wet spot the wheels started spinning. The car was up to the back window trunk completely submerged by the time my friends dad ran over to help. He was a big, athletic type of a guy and managed to push it back up the ramp with the driver furiously spinning the tires. 

• Like 2

Horrible.   Just glad no one was hurt, and I hope the insurance company makes the owner whole in the dollar sense (even if they can't in terms of emotional attachment).

8 minutes ago, Lee H said:

I can’t tell, but is this one of the “bathtub” Packards I hear about?🤪

Don't give people ideas of what they can do with their '48-'50 Packards, unless you're the man who owns one and wants to give us a demonstration of a 22nd Series under water!!!

Craig

19 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Should have handed the judge the bill. Maybe concours shouldn't allow cars to be parked pointed at water in the first place.

• Thanks 1