1934 REO, not mine.

What, no tommy gun?

Shortcomings notwithstanding (tires, running board, TOOL BOX, etc) it does look like a pretty decent car. No knock on a model a but probably more car for the same price, as long as it doesnt need a motor rebuild??

@cjmarzoli
The self shifter came out in 1934, as alluded to here:

https://www.motorcities.org/story-of-the-week/2018/the-1934-reo-automobiles-offered-no-gears-to-shift

There are some transitory literature ads for sale right now that explain further details.  Maybe others can point to a more definitive source.

Edited by SparkEE (see edit history)

The model "N" is the shorter chassis (131") later version of the the longer wheel base 835 (135") wheelbase Royale.  The 4 inches missing is taken from hood.  It does have the same nickle alloy 359 cube straight eight.

This is  5x a Model A Ford.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cjmarzoli said:

Can anyone shed some light on the transmission function?  I don't see a shift lever but do see a clutch pedal.

The T handle under the dash is the self-shifter control.  

2 hours ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

Seller Raised the price from $19,000 to $22,900 now  ?????

He must have been getting too many "I'll take it for asking price" emails and surmised he was too low.

A nice opportunity for someone who might want to take their first experience with a CCCA classic.  I would expect this car can tour at 60mph and it is attractive. To get into this for around 20 seems like it should find a buyer.  I was looking for something like this a few years ago and this would have had my attention. 

There seems to be so much interesting stuff in SoCal. I bought a car a couple months ago that was 10 miles from this one. That dry warm climate brings a lot of good elements together that are “kind” to these older cars if they lived their life out there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Amos Northup gave us a number of great designs in the Classic Era, the REO Royale one of his best.

For comparison,  here is a 835 production sedan.  Very similar but with the longer wheelbase and hood.   General accoutrements are to a higher standard as the 831/N was an effort to hit a lower price point.

1931 Reo Royae 5 Passenger Sedan.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Anyone interested in learning more about the REO Royale should check out this thread.   They are an interesting and relatively rare and unknown Classic.   Designed to be the top of the REO line they were introduced in 1931 with what one of the first "streamlined" designs.   Integrated radiator shell, no hood ornament, flowing semi-skirted fenders with a number of high end featues including a very large 9 main straight eight, same Lockheed brakes as the Dusenberg Model J and one shot chassis lubrication.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if this 1934 REO Royale Model N2, 131" wb. might be one of the three Elite trim level models listed for $1,845: $600 less than the Royale N1, 135" wb at $2,445.  Catalogued also were Royale N2 none-Elite models, a sedan and victoria for $1,745.   REO appears to have priced the Royale N2 to appeal to the Buick Series 90 and Nash Ambassador Eight 1290 buyers.   Just $50 less than the Royale N2 none-Elite models was the all-new, very modern 1934 LaSalle.

• Like 1