For Sale: 1964 Chrysler Imperial Crown Coupe, 85K miles - $15,000 - Melrose Park, ILL - Not Mine

For Sale: 1964 Chrysler Imperial Crown Coupe, 85K miles - $15,000 - Melrose Park, ILL

1964 chrysler imperial for sale by owner - Melrose Park, IL - craigslist
Seller's Description:

I'm selling my 1964 Chrysler Imperial Crown coupe is an excellent condition, but not perfect.  I would like $15000. Cash.  odometer: 85000.   For more information or to buy, please send a phone number and I will call you back or...  
Contact: call me at (773) five-five-six-seven-zero-three-zero.   Thank you. Have a nice day.
Copy and paste in your email: b8a3f801cb6631939e7758aeb4d18af0@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1964 Chrysler Imperial Crown Coupe.
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, edited by John Gunnell states 5,233 1964 Chrysler Imperial Crown Coupes built.

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL a.jpg

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL b.jpg

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL c.jpg

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL d.jpg

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL e.jpg

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL f.jpg

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL g.jpg

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL h.jpg

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL i.jpg

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL j.jpg

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL k.jpg

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL l.jpg

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL m.jpg

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL n.jpg

'64 Imperial Crown Coupe ILL o.jpg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Sure are a lot of Imperials running around lately.  

In spite of their relatively low initial production numbers versus Cadillac and Lincoln, 1960's Imperials appear to have a surprisingly high survival rate in relatively good condition.  The benefit of this situation now is prices ask are more reasonable than for their 1960's counterparts.   Cadillacs survive in greater numbers, but generally command higher prices.  Lincoln Continentals, because of their sophisticated JFK/Camelot association and unique-to-the-era four center-opening doors including the convertible, have become cultural icons.  The downside for collectors is rough examples are very high priced and the pristine-condition convertibles astronomically so, all being complex, difficult and expensive restorations.  These Lincolns share very little with the concurrent other Ford products except the Thunderbird.  Of the later, their survival rate is relatively high in good condition, only the convertibles and Sport Roadsters commanding high prices.   

• Like 3

A very good non-molested well preserved example priced fairly. Based on photos I can't find any faults. An in person inspection and drive is all that remains. 

• Like 1

I really love this car! I prefer the '64 Imperial to every other luxury car of that year, even though they are quite attractive, too. Being in coupe form makes it even more appealing. The only bad thing about black paint is that it highlights flaws and retains heat...other than that it's very attractive when in good shape. Looks great on this car.

This Imperial seems like a good illustration of why it's better to find a reasonably priced vehicle in nice condition than to buy a project in need of work. Most projects couldn't be turned into something this nice with a total investment of $15k. But as 69merc said, you should verify the car is what it appears to be before buying.

• Like 4

For such a huge car this Crown Coupe looks amazingly light on its feet. The angles suggest motion and performance. 

Pre-64s did too but they had those ridiculous high-mounted gunsight taillights. The 1963 rear end redesign finally brought Imperial out of the weird.

Unless you're a complete as-built purist, lack of A/C might not be that big a problem. Find an aftermarket hang-on unit that looks era-correct and find proper Chrysler compressor mounting bracketry. Problem solved. Aftermarket air conditioning was way more common in this Imperial's time than factory installations.

I like it.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Unless you're a complete as-built purist, lack of A/C might not be that big a problem.

It would be interesting to find out where this car was sold originally. If it was some place like Duluth or Bismarck, that could explain the lack of A/C.

• Like 3

Finding an Imperial of this vintage with AC is no problem, it's finding one with AC that actually WORKS! Getting the non-working AC to work again is not for the faint of heart! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 3/23/2024 at 3:30 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

Surprisingly, no one has mentioned this Imperial lacks the optional air conditioning.

On 3/23/2024 at 3:58 PM, Gearheadengineer said:

Makes that black on black potentially a problem 

7 hours ago, JamesR said:

It would be interesting to find out where this car was sold originally. If it was some place like Duluth or Bismarck, that could explain the lack of A/C.

My concerns, as well,

and it gets hot in those places, too.

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Im not sure I have seen too many if any 2 door Imperials. I hate to say I really like this car

I've owned a '64 Imperial, and this one checks all the boxes, plus unmolested.  But a test drive and personal inspection are a must with these cars.  They are very photogenic cars but can still hide a plethora of issues.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

it gets hot in those places, too.

Very true, Marty. However, It tends to be hot for shorter periods of time. Many in the (way) upper Midwest seem to prefer suffering to "spending money unnecessarily." 😄

I've had a couple of 1964 IMPERIAL's over the years. The original 413 engines in both cars were very evidently painted turquoise. Does the engine in this IMPERIAL for sale look blue to anyone else? I'm a bit color blind, so I'm asking this question gingerly. John

6 hours ago, JACK M said:

For me no AC is a plus.

Less to fix? Less drain on the engine? I know with a convertible AC can be less of an issue, but on a hardtop? Just curious 🤔

1 hour ago, 69merc said:

Less to fix? Less drain on the engine? I know with a convertible AC can be less of an issue, but on a hardtop? Just curious 🤔

We get only a few days a year here that I would use it.

I rarely turn on the AC in my modern cars either. Although sometimes the pump comes on when I use the heater.

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

Very true, Marty. However, It tends to be hot for shorter periods of time. Many in the (way) upper Midwest seem to prefer suffering to "spending money unnecessarily." 😄

Thanks, james,

Having lived and worked in essentially all areas of the country, including the Midwest and the Upper Midwest, even a single day of sweating my A$$ off was too much. Minneso(H)-taa heat and humidity for a few days is no less unendurable than in my native New Jersey, nor the work assignments and years we spent in Indiana, Utah, Virginia, and even North Dakota and Montana, etc. At my age, and my stage in life, certain items are mandatory, and functional A/C is one of them.

Mis-quoting Patrick Henry, I know not what others may do, but as for me, Give Me A/C (and a good road to tour with friends - old and new).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone mentioned a lot of Imperials showing up for sale lately.

June '24 Collectible Automobile has a great feature on 1957-75 Imperial LeBarons- basically the timeframe when Imperial was its own marque instead of just the top-level Chrysler.

• Thanks 1