Determining the value and the best way to go about selling my 65 Thunderbird

Need some information.

Location, does it run, engine size, interior condition, special options?

• Like 1

I live in ocala fl, does not run, been sitting for quite a while, not too sure about the other questions. I can get interior pictures for you tomorrow. I kno I'm not much help right now I just had it moved from his barn to my house about a week ago. Any tips you can give me to help you figure the other questions you have out I would very much appreciate.

• Like 2

Spend a FULL DAY washing, cleaning, vacuuming, etc!  Air up the tires.  Make the car look it’s best!  Nothing in the trunk, on the carpets or seats.  When you advertise it for sale don’t include any of the photos above.  When you are done cleaning, put away the hose and bucket!  Take all photos with the sun at your back.  Find the missing wheel cover!  Rust is going to hurt the sale.  Looks like a great color! Be honest with yourself and any potential buyers on pricing!  Ask $4,000, drop the price to $3,000 after a month.  If someone offers $2,000, take it!  If the floors and underside look like the bottom of the doors, the car will probably become a parts car.  Convertibles are probably worth double the price of coupes.  Do you have a title?  

• Like 12

I bought a car from that area (umatilla) and it was nothing but a rust bucket! I have had a few arguments with people that say central fla cars dont rust!!! Looks like this one is going that way. Like mentioned the convertibles are worth more than the hardtops but these vintage t birds dont get the love they deserve. This car new was probably 10xs the car a mustang was but compare the prices today. From what little I can see, I would think if you could get 5-8K that would be good.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 10:58 PM, 63RedBrier said:

Ask $4,000, drop the price to $3,000 after a month.  If someone offers $2,000, take it!  If the floors and underside look like the bottom of the doors, the car will probably become a parts car.  Convertibles are probably worth double the price of coupes.  Do you have a title?  

I have a '65 Thunderbird Landau that is in the same general visual condition of the OP's car. I'd say that 63RedBrier's price guidelines and recommendations are pretty much on the money. I bought my car in 2018 for $2500 along with two guns as a partial trade, and it was a car that started, drove and stopped. In fact I was able to drive it more or less safely at 65 MPH on the highway before I bought it. Engine strong. (It also had a good title.)

I think of fourth generation T-Birds (which is what the OP has) as one of the last affordable cars from the sixties that is stylish, iconic and powerful. That's why I bought mine. Because they're so affordable, however, they aren't very popular at all as restoration or refurbishment projects, since examples in nice condition can be had for $15,000+, which is way below the total investment in a resto project. The OP's car is a project car. (As someone else mentioned, convertibles are a different story...more desirable with a higher value.) Good luck.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The cars value is only as a parts car.  If it is all there maybe $2000.  Way too expensive to restore and only worth a fraction of the cost when done.  You can buy a very nice one for $20,000 or less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avanti Bill said:

The cars value is only as a parts car.  If it is all there maybe $2000.  Way too expensive to restore and only worth a fraction of the cost when done.  You can buy a very nice one for $20,000 or less.

I’ll respectfully disagree. A really good cleanup, and spending a little money to get it running would pay off in spades. From the looks of the vinyl top, it’s been protected to some degree. Could be a “drivable dream” with little effort.

Or a complete moneypit😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Giving people advice to spend a little time cleaning a car and taking the trash out of it before advertising it for sale and not posting pictures of it on a flatbed is sure going to make those "evil flippers" unhappy.

Then again, it is only advice isn't it.

• Like 1

I think it’s too nice to be just a parts car, but it depends a lot on the status of the interior and whether or not it runs or can be easily made to run. If the interior is nice, that helps a lot, if it runs as well, then I think that doing the body work is worth while, particularly if it has some interesting options.  In the worst case scenario, it will be worth more as a parts car if buyers can see what’s good on it and what isn’t. I think the investment of some time to clean it and show it off as best it can look will definitely be time well spent.

Perfect example of advice I was given early on when selling - clean and orderly even for a project car.  Worn tires?  Be sure the whitewall or white letter tires are clean.  Etc.  With collector cars your selling a dream.  Can the buyer see themselves cruisin' along and getting those admiring glances? If so then you are a lot closer to payday.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Floors. A major problem if they are rusted. Monocoque type chassis and very difficult to restore properly and $$$. As others wiser than I have said, clean, clean, and re clean for a few days. I'd add spin the spark plugs out, soak with brake fluid in the cylinders for a few days and then turn over with a bar on the crank. If it's freed up it worth more. These old 390 FE big blocks are not too hard to work on. 

• Like 1

The problem with this era Tbird is the complex wiring which isn't modular, each wire is independent and there are a lot of wires under that dash.  Second problem is the pneumatic controls which create a huge opportunity for vacuum leaks.  The car uses pneumatic controls for the door locks, vents, and heating/AC system.  I think these are beautiful cars and underappreciated, but man are they a chore to work on.

• Like 1

Paint + tires + sort engine + maybe some interior work + vinal top + mechanical = sell and buy another car on the road.  

Hagerty price guide shows a value of $23,000 in #1 condition and shows 65 T birds are dropping in value.