For Sale: 1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible - "Well cared for" luxury cruiser - New top and interior - Mulberry, IN - Not Mine - 3/3 & 2/25 Reduced, Now: $15k - 3/6 SOLD! - 3/21 Flipping in Lafayette, IN - 5/10 Still Available, New Pics

For sale on Facebook: 1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible in Mulberry, IN  -  $18,000 (reduced from $22,500)  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information

On 2/25, Seller reduced price to $17,000

On 3/3, Seller reduced price to $15,000

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/402396032332701/-1962-Oldsmobile-98-Convertible

Seller's Description:

1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible

• Very good condition
  • Driven 105,204 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Blue · Interior color: Blue
  • Clean title
  • This vehicle has no significant damage or problems

394ci Sky Rocket V8 - 105k Miles - New Convertible Top and Interior. This Oldsmobile has been well cared for. Found out today it has 105,000 per previous owner. He bought it with external and interior restored. Not sure about engine or transmission, because of this lowering price to $18,000! Starts and runs great with some play in steering wheel. Electric doors, windows, and driver’s seat. The radio has been repaired by a professional but not installed. Lost interest in finishing. This car is a great showstopper!

image.png.9456efb86293f30502c9b86df09beab5.png

image.png.481a7ad84afa4243c3ce75e9ffaa93f8.png

image.png.65f2ab0b26b70687dc59a15306062499.png

image.png.e8b0483bc1335e23da7ddca3e8974725.png

image.png.0abd9c3f6e349b6c5afe3da9cc4153d0.png

image.png.2bd98d98e594003129d42514100145c1.png

image.png.fbe16ee71afe94c6905b5aae0287a55a.png

image.png.a7d3d31e5e07c3e4d79fe5ee32003ad8.png

image.png.608dc3185a801b2a34918f6aa20b5054.png

image.png.2b91e4db4a98ae05e4f59038c42d9303.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Very nice car.  It has a/c, what looks like the stock air cleaner, and NO fuzzy dice! Seriously though, It's a nice color and looks great in and out. 

• Like 1

Wonder what the undercarriage looks like?

Indiana uses salt on roads, and no history per prior locations.

"Lost interest in finishing."?

Doesn't this usually mean that there are additional undisclosed issues, the cost of repairing would drastically exceed both his budget, and his wife's temper, and also the ultimate value of the project?

• Like 5

Nice, and possibly a better buy than the 64 the new poster in General is looking at.

The interior components for Cruise Control are visible but I can't see any of the underhood components.

As always, transmission and rear bumper are the big things to consider on an early-60s Oldsmobile.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

All 1961-64 full-size Oldsmobiles except 1964 Jetstar 88s used RotoHydraMatics. Probably not their best move.

Cadillac still used the 4-speed "Controlled Coupling" HydraMatic exclusively and Pontiac made things interesting. Their short wheelbase cars (Catalina/Ventura/GP) used Slim Jims and the long wheelbase cars (Star Chief/Bonneville) stuck with the 4-speed "Super HydraMatic". Why Oldsmobile didn't use their 4-speed "Jetaway" unit in at least Ninety Eights I don't know. They'd have had a lot less transmission issues if they had. Each Division used the exact same 4-speed HydraMatic but as you see they all had different marketing names for them.

I've heard a 4-speed HMT or Turbo HydraMatic can be easily transplanted into a 61-64 B or C body Oldsmobile by fitting a Star Chief/Bonneville transmission tunnel. Don't personally know anyone who's done it. Most people who put TurboHydraMatics in them either cut and piece or beat and bang the existing tunnels into clearance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible - "Well cared for" luxury cruiser - Triple Blue - New top and interior - Mulberry, IN - Not Mine - 2/25 Reduced

Front end parts aren't impossible to find for these cars but good ones can be. Whoever buys it, first order of business (after buying the factory service manuals and having it aligned) should be contacting Craig (mobileparts) for good quality front end components, then sending the steering box off for rebuild and adjustment if needed.

Oldsfan had problems with NOS GM ball joints and control arm bushings a few years back. Guess the rubber parts deteriorated on the shelf.

• Like 2

I spoke with the seller today, very nice guy. Selling for his brother who passed, car has been sitting and needs some tlc(loose steering, rich burn black smoke from exhaust, some minor paint bubbling/scratches, and some minor nic-naks not seen in pictures) but overall alot of nice car for the ask. I'm considering it but being 13 hours away is burdensome..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible - "Well cared for" luxury cruiser - Triple Blue - New top and interior - Mulberry, IN - Not Mine - 3/3 & 2/25 Reduced
On 2/26/2024 at 9:09 PM, Mylark said:

I spoke with the seller today, very nice guy. Selling for his brother who passed, car has been sitting and needs some tlc(loose steering, rich burn black smoke from exhaust, some minor paint bubbling/scratches, and some minor nic-naks not seen in pictures) but overall alot of nice car for the ask. I'm considering it but being 13 hours away is burdensome..

On 3/3, Seller reduced price to $15,000.

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible - "Well cared for" luxury cruiser - Triple Blue - New top and interior - Mulberry, IN - Not Mine - 3/3 & 2/25 Reduced, Now: $15,000

in the 6th picture down you see the driver's view of the instrument cluster, steering wheel, foot well and the radio with missing knobs.  What is the gadget left of the instrument cluster directly beneath the A piler? In addition to the missing radio knobs, there is yellow foam wedged in the underside of the hood which does look good.

There's a belt or two on the A/C compressor.  Does the A/C work?  A pretty daunting question because of all the different refrigerants used since R12.  So if you went to recharge the system you would have to retrofit the Schrader valves to accept R134.  But R134 runs at a higher pressure; old system+higher pressure=leaks!  If it still blows cold and never retrofitted than you assume it's still using R12 and you don't dare touch it!  Oh well I guess I got a little carried away on the A/C topic.

Pretty nice looking car and it's a convertible too! A good deal at 15 grand

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, deac said:

In addition to the missing radio knobs

The ad states the radio was removed to be restored and it has not be re-installed yet, hopefully the knobs are on the radio itself.

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible - "Well cared for" luxury cruiser - Triple Blue - New top and interior - Mulberry, IN - Not Mine - 3/3 & 2/25 Reduced, Now: $15,000 - 3/6 SOLD! - 3/21 Flipping in Lafayette, IN
Posted (edited)

On 3/21,

Flipper listed for sale on Facebook: 1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible in Lafayette, IN  -  $29,000  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information

On 4/6, Flipper relisted on Facebook at same price $29,000

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/969458927882676/-1962-Oldsmobile-98-Convertible

Seller's Description:

1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible

• Excellent condition
  • Driven 105,236 miles
  • Automatic transmission

1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible that's completely loaded up. 1 of 3,600 built for the year. Air conditioning, power windows, power seat, power steering and brakes, cruise control, autronic eye, power vent windows, power top. Great car. Runs and drives well. Clean California car. Has never been in the Midwest winters. New top, new interior and 1 repaint. Asking $29,000

image.png.2ef4148da45d7231b905dbc26c784b5a.png

image.png.057766d0e019bf0b0219c1a735504cb1.png

image.png.35124fcd12653b4a3a7e6b9da6a53766.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status and price (see edit history)

👎😡 

It just bugs me when someone tries to immediately double their money when flipping a car, without spending a dime to improve the car. 

If you're gonna ask top dollar for a car you'd better make damn sure everything is working per design. And hope your prospective buyer doesn't know more about the car than you do.

• Like 4

On 3/4/2024 at 10:32 PM, deac said:

What is the gadget left of the instrument cluster directly beneath the A piler? In addition to the missing radio knobs, there is yellow foam wedged in the underside of the hood which does look good.

Cruise Control speed set dial. The underhood components are missing.

The yellow hood insulation is correct for 1962.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

👎😡 

It just bugs me when someone tries to immediately double their money when flipping a car, without spending a dime to improve the car. 

If you're gonna ask top dollar for a car you'd better make damn sure everything is working per design. And hope your prospective buyer doesn't know more about the car than you do.

Sadly it works a lot. There's places up here that get cars at auction for cheap and then flip for double.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theconvertibleguy said:

Sadly it works a lot. There's places up here that get cars at auction for cheap and then flip for double.

I saw that happening at the last Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale. There was a 36 Pontiac coupe and a late 60's Pontiac Firebird both in nice shape.  The new owner was going to flip them as soon as he could get them home.

1 hour ago, deac said:

I saw that happening at the last Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale

There are some dealers who are well known on this board who buy at auctions. Nothing wrong with that. They have to get their inventory from somewhere.  
If you were at the auction and had the cash, you could buy too. 

But legitimate dealers (not flippers) will do things to the car that add value then take excellent photos (not snapshots) and invest time into marketing. A legitimate dealer will protect the car until it is sold and will negotiate a sale for a fair price.  And they expose themselves to fraud, warranty and possible buy back issues. 

A flipper wants cash ASAP, will put little to no effort into improving the car, and if they can’t get their (always exorbitant) price rather than negotiating, they move it outside, cover it up until someone will pay what THEY have decided that it is worth. However long it takes. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible - "Well cared for" luxury cruiser - New top and interior - Mulberry, IN - Not Mine - 3/3 & 2/25 Reduced, Now: $15,000 - 3/6 SOLD! - 3/21 Flipping in Lafayette, IN - 4/5 Deleted
15 hours ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

On 4/5, Seller deleted the Facebook ad.

Well that was a VERY fast flip.  Wonder if it will show up advertised for $45,000 .....? 

• Haha 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible - "Well cared for" luxury cruiser - New top and interior - Mulberry, IN - Not Mine - 3/3 & 2/25 Reduced, Now: $15,000 - 3/6 SOLD! - 3/21 Flipping in Lafayette, IN - 5/10 Still Available

Just found this last night...

On 4/6,

Flipper relisted on Facebook at same price $29,000  -  1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/969458927882676/-1962-Oldsmobile-98-Convertible

Seller's Description:

1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible in Lafayette, IN

• Excellent condition
  • Driven 105,236 miles
  • Automatic transmission

1962 Oldsmobile 98 convertible that's completely loaded up. 1 of 3600 built for the year. Air conditioning power windows power seat power steering and brakes cruise control autronic eye power vent windows power top. Great car. Runs and drives well. Clean California car. Has never been in the Midwest winters. New top new interior and 1 repaint. Asking $29,000

image.png.4130c2dc9afe9303b863130c61ce4692.png

image.png.385bd5440a92f3e81b3ef0fabb1481db.png

image.png.1a190ad18f0333c96abe36d44611f5f8.png

image.png.afc6aaf8ae362d7e6d9c690ec954a12c.png..

image.png.3c15a7cdec4bc2544ab04f0be84ddb7f.png..

image.png.bf6664555e9c96e265d02cbc69dfb94c.png..

image.png.86908eb0b09b2c7cd188f4e1104c525a.png

image.png.7e1faab51a35a4394e97bb24834d70bf.png

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1962 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible - "Well cared for" luxury cruiser - New top and interior - Mulberry, IN - Not Mine - 3/3 & 2/25 Reduced, Now: $15k - 3/6 SOLD! - 3/21 Flipping in Lafayette, IN - 5/10 Still Available, New Pics

The several thousand he's spent on wheels and tires would have been better spent correcting the issues the original seller pointed out.

Those wheels don't do a thing for this Ninety Eight and if it had steering problems before they will only make them worse. 

This car deserves better than what it's gotten. I see a string of owners in its future, none of whom will love, appreciate and care for it.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

The several thousand he's spent on wheels and tires would have been better spent correcting the issues the original seller pointed out.

Those wheels don't do a thing for this Ninety Eight and if it had steering problems before they will only make them worse. 

This car deserves better than what it's gotten. I see a string of owners in its future, none of whom will love, appreciate and care for it.

Sadly it'll get the buyers that flippers are after; folks that are after the bling rims and drive it into the ground after destroying most of what made it sellable in the first place. You see this with older houses, and it's hitting the car market as well.

• Like 1