Super Size Valve.

3 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

Got this gem from a friend. It was in a Nordburg Diesel that got rebuilt a while back.  

IMG_6667.JPG

IMG_6669.JPG

IMG_6670.JPG

What does the valve spring look like? The front coils off a 60's Lincoln?

• Haha 3

Well I have valve envy. But, mine is brand new! So it is a conversation piece n the living room. ~4" head an d 7/8" stem. 

Big Valve.jpg

Big Valve 2.jpg

Big and Small Valves.JPG

• Like 2

Here is mine.

Dad was a pilot in WWII and this was in with his stuff.

Has sentimental value to me.

I couldn't tell you what engine other than WWII bomber.

Not huge like your guyses, but pretty cool to me.

IM005341.JPG

IM005342.JPG

IM005343.JPG

IM005344.JPG

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, hook said:

I bet that takes one hecht of a plunger to lap it in....................

Now you have me thinking. I'll have to measure my toilet bowl plunger. 🤓

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, JACK M said:

Here is mine.

Dad was a pilot in WWII and this was in with his stuff.

Has sentimental value to me.

I couldn't tell you what engine other than WWII bomber.

Not huge like your guyses, but pretty cool to me.

IM005341.JPG

IM005342.JPG

IM005343.JPG

IM005344.JPG

B17. Powerplant: Four 1,200 hp Wright R-1820-97 nine cylinder air-cooled single row radial engines. General Electric Type B-22 exhaust driven turbo-superchargers, installed under engine nacelles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

And it has to be CLEAN!😁👍

• Like 1

I am a retired transport mechanic. Been all my life. Those valves are common on diesel engines like Cummins 903 and 250 /6  models Cummins engines are of a different poppet valve adjusting design. Stands all by itself. 

• Like 1

The Snow Gas engine uses much bigger valves. But then again at 1423……. liters! NOT cubic inches, it certainly needs to breathe a little bit easier. FYI- That’s 86,800 CID. It’s what we call in our shop a BFE………..figure it out! Total weight of this unit……..140 TONS……..🤔

Back when America built stuff……..and people actually worked for a living.

IMG_1845.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

The Snow Gas engine uses much bigger valves. But then again at 1423……. liters! NOT cubic inches, it certainly needs to breathe a little bit easier. FYI- That’s 86,800 CID. It’s what we call in our shop a BFE………..figure it out! Total weight of this unit……..140 TONS……..🤔

Back when America built stuff……..and people actually worked for a living.

IMG_1845.png

This is set up at the Coolspring power museum show grounds in PA. More on this beast. http://www.coolspringpowermuseum.org/Exhibits/Exley/Snow_600_00.htm

16 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

What kind of person would want two of those valves so much they would carry them around Hershey all day?

Only a diehard gearhead. 😁 You didn't have a pack donkey with you?  

• Haha 1

I was told the Largest Valve came from the Philadelphia shipyard. It is 7in across the head, 31 in tall, and a 1 1/2 in stem. It was a Macungie flea market find years ago. The second largest is different because it has threads halfway up the stem. 

• Thanks 1

Jack, that Bell has the engine number stamped on it. It came from a Baldwin Mallet steam engine that was last used by B&O Railroad. Built in Philadelphia in 1931, Junked in 1953. It is another flea market find years ago. That engine had 6 high-pressure drive wheels then 6 Low Pressure Drive wheels that use the exhaust from the first six wheels. It must’ve been quite a beast to get over the western mountains of Pennsylvania , West Virginia and on into Ohio. 

• Like 1

That is pretty cool. Some old engine valves like that had sodium in the stem to help cool the valve. As the valve moved up and down it would slosh up and transfer heat away from the valve head. Exposed to air it is rather explosive. Do not cut those valve stems open.