Tools you hate to need to use

I don't mind using any of my tools. There are some jobs that I like less than others, but the most important thing is having the proper tool for the job I'm doing. With out the proper tool everything goes to hell real fast. I also don't agree with a fire extinguisher being a tool. A tool is something you plan to use for a specific project. The need for a fire extinguisher is the result of using the wrong tool in the wrong place at the wrong time and the need to get bailed out! 

On 2/10/2024 at 11:02 PM, Lee H said:

Any metric tool. It’ll be a job I have to do, not want to do. And there still won’t be enough room to work, even after I remove half the motor to get at it.

If the insh size tools are not difficult enough, try working on this

IMG_2268.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Although it rarely has uses in automotive, I absolutely hated the table saw. I know how to use it, I know the proper safety procedures, and I did use it successfully...I just hated it. 

I feel the same way with those big a-- band saws.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, demco32 said:

If the insh size tools are not difficult enough, try working on this

IMG_2268.JPG

There’s a reason the words “British” and “reliable” rarely appear in the same sentence. 😁

An XJ-S with a manual is a bucket list car for me. The scarcity pretty much assures it’s a box left unchecked.

3 hours ago, CarNucopia said:

There’s a reason the words “British” and “reliable” rarely appear in the same sentence. 😁

An XJ-S with a manual is a bucket list car for me. The scarcity pretty much assures it’s a box left unchecked.

The V-12 engine is a good engine and can go for many miles when properly maintained .

An XJ-S is difficult to find with manual transmission , most have been sold in western Europe.

You need special tools to remove a cylinder head and a lot of patience if this work needs to be done.

A tool that I don't like to use because it means that the owner has not done proper maintenance on the car.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JamesR said:

Great post!

Here's the tool I don't use nearly as much as I should:

Human-Brain-1.png

HAHA! I often forget to use this tool!

• Like 2

Well, I have a set of the tiniest screwdrivers you could imagine.

They are for fixing glasses. They came in a tiny plastic box, the box is 1 5/8" by 1". I keep it in my desk drawer.

Trouble is I can't see to use them without my glasses on.   GRRRR

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, demco32 said:

The V-12 engine is a good engine and can go for many miles when properly maintained .

An XJ-S is difficult to find with manual transmission , most have been sold in western Europe.

You need special tools to remove a cylinder head and a lot of patience if this work needs to be done.

A tool that I don't like to use because it means that the owner has not done proper maintenance on the car.

My dad had one ages ago. He never had a problem with the engine. And wow, it was silky smooth. It seemed as though just about everything else on the car failed.

We didn't get the early V12 manual cars, only later straight 6 with stick. I'd guess maybe only a few hundred made it to the US.

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)

Radial arm saws were considered so dangerous there is still a $50 bounty on the motor paid by Emerson Electric, used on Sears Craftsman saws.

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Radial arm saws were considered so dangerous there is still a $50 bounty on the motor paid by Emerson Electric, used on Sears Craftsman saws.

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

Hmmmm.....I wonder how many times you can collect that 50 bucks.  Might be a whole new sideline buying them off Marketplace and Kijiji

• Haha 1

Home depot uses radial arm saws still. But for hobbyists a modern "Chop saw", from one of the better brands is the better way to go. Generally speaking, avoid all tools that try to do all things. 

4 hours ago, CarNucopia said:

My dad had one ages ago. He never had a problem with the engine. And wow, it was silky smooth. It seemed as though just about everything else on the car failed.

We didn't get the early V12 manual cars, only later straight 6 with stick. I'd guess maybe only a few hundred made it to the US.

it all comes down to correct and good maintenance to avoid any problems.

many mechanics do not know how to maintain these cars correctly.

• Like 1

I have a radial saw and I use it all of the time. Very handy for cross cutting wood.  I have a table saw for long cuts.

I believe that the big issue is to keep the stop/fence in good condition and be careful by keeping your hands and fingers away from the moving saw blade.  Also it helps to keep a sharp blade.  A dull blade tends to bind and cause not nice action.

Remember that it is tough to teach common sense which is very uncommon today.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Remember that it is tough to teach common sense which is very uncommon today.

The recall is back from when people had common sense. And it was common sense to remove the guard to see the blade better.😮

I once used my neighbors RAS (without guard) with him, my father and a friend of mine in the garage. I did a cut, all three other people screamed. I said "what?". I still have no idea how close I was to loosing a body part, the cut action looked fine to me. I agree to a guard and stop fence and keeping hands away, no small pieces being cut should go a long way to safe operation of a RAS.

I now use a sliding compound miter saw for the last 20+ years. And I've learned these do not like small pieces either!😮

You can collect a recall check for every saw which you follow the instructions to get the money. And yes, people do pick up free RASs just to collect the recall. I read about these on woodworking/building forums.😉 

❄️❄️❄️☃️🛠️☃️🛠️

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

I should have said, a "sliding compound miter saw" as that is really what I meant. "Chop saws" are usually limited to simply cutting off or through, squarely.