1st generation windshield

RivNut

I find my self in need of a new windshield for a 1st generation Riviera.  I know there’s been some discussion on this topic but I must not be using the correct key words in my search.  

What are some recommendations for a fully tinted Windshield? Buy from??? Watch out for ???

Thanks,

Ed

I have 4 NOS windshields.

Originally completely tinted as original.

It's been so long I don't remember how the tinting at top is.

Although I know they are completely tinted.

I am not opening up the shipping container to find out for someone who is not serious,

$450.00 each & I WILL NOT SHIP.

MUST BE PICKED UP.

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, gungeey said:

Hopefully the price went down since the black plague. I had to wait for months. There was one windshield in the lower 48 and it was clear. 

Screenshot_20240203_203652_OneDrive.jpg

$500.00 is cheap. Reatta windshields are $1800.00 each.

• Like 1

I bought mine through Prosource Glass in Andover, Mass. That was about 2013. Richard Tankel was in charge. A Google search shows he is still out there but not Prosource.

I got a tinted Pilkington that was very well packaged.

04997.jpg.e81c1fb10894158ee3e8f7744c20e627.jpg

• Like 1

I extracted a remarkably nice 1963 Riviera windshield from a parts car and leaned it up against the basement wall below the electrical panel with full intention of packaging for protection upon my return from a business trip. I left a key with a contractor who while working in my home, let a Cable Guy in who walked right into that windshield and snapped it in two. No note, no evidence that he was even in my house. I had to question the Contractor and ultimately got the Cable Company to reimburse for the loss. They were reluctant to pay of course and no explanation for entering my home unannounced.

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

I had a new one sourced and installed locally here in Columbus Ohio in Oct '22. To my surprise one of the local distributors had one in stock. Only paid 325 and that included install. The father & son duo do a ton of classic car windshields and knew their way around the Rivi like they owned one. 

Rivi windshield.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I got one from Summit Racing in 2019.  They shipped it to me here in Canada for a ridiculously low price.  Give them a call, they might still stock them.

Check them out.  Don't know why the description says "Chevrolet, Two Door, Coupe" as my understanding is the 1st Gen Riviera windshield was not shared with any other GM car.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

image.png.1c15095cb48ede3d466abaf0d6dbe793.png

Auto City Classic Glass also sells them:

image.png.73e609aeab6f101d0702e03310cca70d.png

Hope this helps.

Alex, that receipt from Summit shows not only  a Chevrolet coupe/convertible but also shows DW636 which is a CORVETTE windshield.

The DW629 is the number for a Riviera. 

DW means Domestic Windshield

FW means Foreign Windshield, so do not think a FW629 is the same glass with a different tint. In fact it fits a Subaru Legacy.

The suffixes G is for Green and S is for Shaded band. IIRC, 6 is the color of the shade.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

I got one from Summit Racing in 2019.  They shipped it to me here in Canada for a ridiculously low price.  Give them a call, they might still stock them.

Check them out.  Don't know why the description says "Chevrolet, Two Door, Coupe" as my understanding is the 1st Gen Riviera windshield was not shared with any other GM car.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

image.png.1c15095cb48ede3d466abaf0d6dbe793.png

Auto City Classic Glass also sells them:

image.png.73e609aeab6f101d0702e03310cca70d.png

Hope this helps.

I called them based on this older post.  They do not have ne for a Riviera. ☹️

Hi Frank,

Good catch on the windshield code.  Here's the Summit order for the Riviera windshield DW00629 I bought from them:

image.png.259601b6857605cb3487dcf33b3417f7.png

Too bad Summit no longer sells windshields for our Rivieras.

In searching for a windshield, I found that shipping is more than 1/2 the price of the glass, and that’s from Indiana to Kansas - freight dock to freight dock, no delivery to any other address.  No telling how much it would be from Oregon to Kansas.

I bought mine back in 2013. It had to be delivered to a commercial business. It is a Pilkington. Something around $500. I don't remember exactly because I was happy with it. If I had been unhappy I could tell you to the penny.

04949.jpg.97288486edfc4635ddc3e8e4544de143.jpg

004.jpg.e546b2c01d88a819b46c2e3f5079fa95.jpg

• Like 1