Photo of DAIMLER DOUBLE SIX (1931-1935)

1 minute ago, George Smolinski said:

Found this on FB. Hood looks about 8’ long. What was under the hood?

IMG_0608.jpeg

When this picture was taken?  A Buick Straight Eight.

Now it has the original

V12 Sleeve Valve engine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_Double-Six_sleeve-valve_V12

The sleeve valve Daimler's are interesting vehicles.

Same car? [from wikipedia]  Wheel spokes not chromed in the post 1 photo.

Subject:Daimler Double Six 40/50 (1932), bodied by Gurney Nutting Coachbuilders, designed by Martin Walter to look as if it had a lowered chassis to the order of Herbert Wilcox for actress and film star Anna Neagle later re-engined with a Buick power unit Date:April 27th, 2008 Event:Concorso d’Eleganza”Villa d’Este” 2008 Place/Country: Cernobbio (CO), Italy

800px-Daimler_Double-Six.JPG

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 6

They only made one.    The photo in the first post was taken on the Isle of Man where the car resided for decades.  Its original Sleeve Valve engine replaced by a Buick straight eight.

It won best of show at Pebble Beach after restoration.

image.jpeg.643bc622d3caa91c2975e613b6237083.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I thought I read at one time there is a bit of confusion with the Daimler name. Most associate it with Benz being German. But wasnt there also an English version? Picture on the Isle of Mann, is this an English car?

Absolutely stunning!!

• Like 2

Just now, TAKerry said:

I thought I read at one time there is a bit of confusion with the Daimler name. Most associate it with Benz being German. But wasnt there also an English version? Picture on the Isle of Mann, is this an English car?

Absolutely stunning!!

Yes, this is the English version. Damiler was high-end like Rolls Royce. In fact, exclusive to the royal family for decades.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AHa said:

How does one find an original sleeve valve engine for a one-off car?

As easy as it sounds……just make it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AHa said:

How does one find an original sleeve valve engine for a one-off car?

Would have been other Daimler cars of the time that used the same engine.

Or maybe the original engine was found in Isle of Man. But a low chance.

11 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

Would have been other Daimler cars of the time that used the same engine.

I was wondering about that myself. Several high end Classic engines found their way into industrial uses for years after the limited production cars were done. Auburn's V12 ended up in fire engines and speed boats. The Bugatti Royale engine was used in rail yard switch engines. I have heard a few other stories over the years. High end automotive engineers went to great lengths to create really powerful and effective engines for their creations. It stands to reason that some of them found their way into other uses once the forms were made, and design specs completed.

Some years back. I met a fellow that had a V12 Auburn (club sedan if I recall correctly?). It had a fire engine engine in it, and he knew about it when he bought the car. But he wasn't a big bucks collector, and the price was fair. He pointed out the detail differences to me (most of which I have long since forgotten?). People that knew. of course knew. And he wasn't trying to hide the facts behind it. The car was no less impressive looking, and he certainly enjoyed driving and showing the car wherever it was welcomed.

I read about a car like the Daimler above, and wonder how or why the engine was replaced by a Buick straight eight in the first place. Then I wonder where someone found a suitable "proper" replacement? But I have also heard (and even seen) many stories where someone has/had some incredible historic engine out of some known historic car. Sometimes, the stars just align just right and such things come together.

• Like 1

Pratt & Whitney used a second generation V-16 Cadillac to load test propellers in their engineering devision since before the war……….back in the 80’s it was still in use and we serviced and rebuilt it. It’s probably still in use today.

• Like 2

My understanding from a very smart fellow forum member (not Ed) who helped source some of the parts is that they were able to put an engine together from a parts chassis and misc pieces they acquired.  

Very few cars were built,  under 100?  And next to none survive.  I've seen about 5 in my life including this one and the other Pebble winner.

image.jpeg.0babb250902bdc5ef56ece69846b9aeb.jpeg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Pratt & Whitney used a second generation V-16 Cadillac to load test propellers in their engineering devision since before the war……….back in the 80’s it was still in use and we serviced and rebuilt it. It’s probably still in use today.

Clark Equipment,  who I believe is still in business building fork lifts and aircraft tow motors and the like, built  a 42 passenger railcar prototype,  "Autotram" powered by a Cadillac ohv V16. Couldn't sell it and never went into production.

As a young guy, early on I tried to drive every pre war car I could get my hands on. Managed to drive most of the legendary stuff……..and some super rare and exotic ones as well. After a while, one can predict the feel and driving envelope of the car. Usually most are not well sorted, so it can give a false impression of how good it really is. Today, I’m interested in drivability………something that can be safe and keep up with modern traffic. Only car I own that doesn’t fit this requirement is my T. As I age, I can accept post 1932 stuff more than I did years ago…….but 1939 is about the end of the world for me now.

• Like 4

On 2/3/2024 at 8:28 AM, Rusty_OToole said:

During WW1 the English Daimler company spun off from its German parent making two Daimler companies. There was also an Austro Daimler which makes it three.

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

As a young guy, early on I tried to drive every pre war car I could get my hands on. Managed to drive most of the legendary stuff……..and some super rare and exotic ones as well. After a while, one can predict the feel and driving envelope of the car. Usually most are not well sorted, so it can give a false impression of how good it really is. Today, I’m interested in drivability………something that can be safe and keep up with modern traffic. Only car I own that doesn’t fit this requirement is my T. As I age, I can accept post 1932 stuff more than I did years ago…….but 1939 is about the end of the world for me now.

It sounds like you've had an incredible journey experiencing a wide array of pre-war cars, and now prioritizing drivability and safety as you age, focusing on vehicles up to 1939.

These cars look remarkably similar to Bugatti Royales. I guess they are scaled down just a bit?

Getting back to the OPs post, it's hard to see how a six cylinder motor could be 8' long. A straight 12 could easily create a long hood, but a double six? Anybody got pictures of the motor or a under hood shot?

One  final note, I had a 59 Cadillac coupe de ville, what a car! It was like riding on a cloud.

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I think the wheelbase is around 144".    So same as a short wheelbase Duesenberg.

HP and top speed were decent but not remarkable.

V12 cadillac were 146 wb. V16 were 154.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jdome said:

V12 cadillac were 146 wb. V16 were 154.

In the context of the era 144 is not particularly long.   The hood makes it look longer than it is.

Some other cars:

-  Phantom II RR - 150

-  Long wheel base Duesenberg 153

-  J8-90 Stearns - 146

-  Long wheelbase Stutz - 145

• Like 1

For comparison, the Bugatti Royale wheel base was 169." A long wheelbase Daimler was 157." They were made in three wheelbases.

The article referenced above reports the cars developed wheel wobble that could only be stopped by stopping the cars. Also, the sleeve valves were bad to gum up and stick and if the car sat long, the push rods for the sleeves would bend, which is probably why the Buick 8 was installed.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Daimler made luxury cars and limousines for the wealthy, for years they were the official car of the English royal family. They specialized in sleeve valve engines. I believe for technical reasons, a sleeve valve engine will be longer than a conventional engine and this was Daimler's largest engine model. It surprises me that all the Double Six cars I have seen pics of, do not have very large passenger compartments. I would have expected most to be really impressive limousines. But the 2 shown here are a coupe and short coupled sedan.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alsancle said:

In the context of the era 144 is not particularly long.   The hood makes it look longer than it is.

Some other cars:

-  Phantom II RR - 150

-  Long wheel base Duesenberg 153

-  J8-90 Stearns - 146

-  Long wheelbase Stutz - 145

Also, 1934-1937 Chrysler Custom Imperial Airflow 8 passenger Sedan's and Limo's had a 146 1/2 " W.B.

• Like 2

Let's face it guys, the wheelbase of these cars is somewhat immaterial. What gives it that long look is primarily the hood length. Sure, all these other makes have just as long of a wheelbase, or longer, but not the hood length.

Some years ago, a good friend had a specific marque (I won't at this time mention the well known marque) one-off custom built 1915 roadster fully restored (at great expense!). After completion, I went to see the car back in their private collection. I don't recall the wheelbase, but for 1915 it was huge! Especially for a roadster! We were talking about the car, and they were curious, so I was elected to sit in the driver's seat, while they took a tape measure and measured the distance from the tip of my nose to the back of the Motometer! Sitting naturally in the driver's seat, it was exactly nine feet from the tip of my nose to the back of the Motometer!

That is more than the wheelbase (only 100 inch) of my 1915 model T runabout?

What a great view from sitting in that big roadster looking out the long hood to see that Motometer so far away.