What type of suspension?

Babajaga

Man, what a monstrosity. As I see what you have, there appears to be a front mounted motor with large flywheel set in a triangular support welded to front axle and steel spine connecting front and rear axles. A driveshaft back to a differential case of some sort, meant to drive rear wheel for which there are partial u-jointed half axles. I do not see any transmission/shifting mechanism. The front steering seems to rely on an odd spindle type using independent coil springs on each side, although I don't see a steering arm or tie rod. The dramatically curved springs ahead of flywheel appear to be intended to act as a "springy" base for a body to be added, much like early buggies. I'm starting to think someone was trying to develop a car prototype (perhaps using some off the shelf stuff) and never sorted out all the wrinkles.

• Thanks 1

I know I’m going to be building everything. I was hoping to find another carriage so I can see the engineering. The kinematics. The carriage is listed here through the shop also. I’m the mechanic.  I’ll find the make and post it. At one time it was assembled. But we don’t have any clear photos 

5 hours ago, Babajaga said:

I know I’m going to be building everything. I was hoping to find another carriage so I can see the engineering. The kinematics. The carriage is listed here through the shop also. I’m the mechanic.  I’ll find the make and post it. At one time it was assembled. But we don’t have any clear photos 

Yes, someone from your shop posted about this car a little while back.  Someone have the link?

• Thanks 1

I looked in my book 1904 automobiles for a body like the one sitting in the background page by page with no matches. Then it hit me,that body looks close to 1903 Cadillac and Ford,both with midship engines,and I don't see any way that chassis would work under that body. So is that not the body intended for that chassis and do you have the body for it?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sagefinds said:

I looked in my book 1904 automobiles for a body like the one sitting in the background page by page with no matches. Then it hit me,that body looks close to 1903 Cadillac and Ford,both with midship engines,and I don't see any way that chassis would work under that body. So is that not the body intended for that chassis and do you have the body for it?

The body that came with this chassis is the one in the background of the posted pictures. On the post I made a month or so ago, there is a grainy picture of the carriage fully assembled. This picture was from a local newspaper that did an article about the discovery in 1942 in a field near Chickopee, MA. From my research, the body looks almost identical to a 1903 American Motor Carriage Runabout, but the chassis and everything else mechanically looks nothing like I have found in pictures. 

Looks like Morgan style. Basically a lower spring, a stub axle and an upper spring. Basically the hub bounces between the springs. It is an independent suspension. 

https://www.morganownersclub.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Of-Sliding-Pillars-Axles.pdf