Anybody know the movie?

Looks like Abbot.jpg

Actually I believe that is Bud Abbot's comedy partner, Lou Costello-

Sorry I don't recall the flick, but always enjoyed their routines,

especially  "Who's on First?"

• Like 4

Honest  mistake, he is always yelling Aaabbot!😉

• Like 2

Seeing that Lou is on the side of the road with his suitcase and Abbot doesn't appear to be traveling with him made me think that Abbot is not in the movie. I did a search and the only movie Lou appeared alone in was a 59 SiFi comedy called "The 30-foot Bride of Candy Creek." Dorthy Provine plays the Bride, that may be her in the scene, before her growth spurt. The movie takes place in the Arizona desert but the background in the scene doesn't look like a desert.  Apparently, The bride gets radiated and grows into a giant and comedy ensues.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jerriffic said:

Little Giant-1946.  The actress is Elena Verdugo.      

Jerry

I was almost sure that was the movie this scene was from, but it has been fifty years since I have seen it, and I couldn't recall the title.

The movie has a great bit in it when Lou pushes his way into a home to try to sell a vacuum cleaner, throwing dirt all over the floor and promising to eat it up with a spoon if his vacuum doesn't clean it up completely. The lady of the house keeps trying to stop him from throwing the dirt around, however, being a pushy salesman, Lou doesn't let her stop him. Then he holds the electric cord up and asks where to plug it in. She hands him a spoon as she says the house had never had electricity. Lou, now down on his knees, utters a plaintive sounding "Abbo-ott" as he scoops up the first spoon-full of dirt.

One of the details I thought odd at the time I watched the movie, was here was this house way out in the country, that hadn't yet been wired for electricity. Yet there was the lady of the house, perfectly attired, and with flawless hair. A true "June Cleaver" moment on film ten years before "Leave it to Beaver"!

9 hours ago, Jerriffic said:

Little Giant-1946.  The actress is Elena Verdugo.      

Jerry

I am pretty sure Little Giant was also the title of a 1970s history of the Volkswagen company. I thought it was right on the shelf above me here, too much stuff.

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

One of the details I thought odd at the time I watched the movie, was here was this house way out in the country, that hadn't yet been wired for electricity. Yet there was the lady of the house, perfectly attired...

I gather that, in the 1930's at least, there were country houses

that had no electricity.  Some old radios were run, not with cords

to the wall, but on large storage batteries.  "Rural electrification"

was a program that brought electricity to many country residents.

One would think that, by 1946, having no electricity would be rare.

46 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I gather that, in the 1930's at least, there were country houses

that had no electricity.  Some old radios were run, not with cords

to the wall, but on large storage batteries.  "Rural electrification"

was a program that brought electricity to many country residents.

One would think that, by 1946, having no electricity would be rare.

Oh like me, you are misinformed!

I was traveling in southeast Virginia for work after graduating from college in the mid 70s when I came upon the Prince George Electric Co-Op building, and it said "Since 1946". I inquired and it had been charted in 1939, and only had 300 customers by the time WWII broke out. In 1946 the big expansion started. So, there were lots of farms/houses without electricity well into the early 50s in rural Virginia. 

And that's with the electricity actually coming from VEPCO (Virginia Electric and Power Company) which started as the Richmond Union Passenger Railway ( began electric streetcar service in 1888!) then the Virginia Railway and Power Company in 1909.  SO the rural areas were really late to the party. I have talked with other people in Rural areas that did not get electricity until the mid 50s. My father's house got electricity in 1922 when he was 7 years old. But he lived on Broad Street, US 250, a major route for running wires.😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plenty of households in Southside Virginia didn't get electricity till early 1950s, my place being one of them. It was built in 1950 and rudimentarily wired for it as most rural homes were back then, but not hooked to the grid until 1952. 

My dad figured VEPCO would eventually run power up here so he had the house wired. VEPCO stopped about a mile east in 1947 and never ran poles any further. 

The City of Danville had/has its own municipal electric system. It finally ran poles into western Halifax County in 1952, gaining hundreds of customers that VEPCO had chosen to ignore.

Only problem is, some of that electrical infrastructure is still the original 1952 installation, never upgraded for the load added to it over the years. And it shows.🙄

Homes in NC right across the state line from me didn't get electricity till 1955, and it took electrical cooperatives to get it then. The two major NC power companies, like VEPCO, only ran poles along the major roads. People on side roads did without till the co-ops formed.

There was one family who stuck to the old ways until 1970, when the stubborn old grandfather passed on. Even then the three room cabin was wired only for one overhead light and one receptacle in each room, and for an electric stove which the women in the house had long wished for to replace the labor-intensive and hot wood-fired kitchen stove. I'm not sure they ever installed a well pump or water heater. The cabin was torn down after all the original family had died and a young couple bought the property and built new. I guarantee Ben and Tara have more than one outlet per room!

Some in the Virginia and North Carolina mountains didn't get it until the 1970s. 

The things we take for granted.

45 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Plenty of households in Southside Virginia didn't get electricity till early 1950s, my place being one of them. It was built in 1950 and rudimentarily wired for it as most rural homes were back then, but not hooked to the grid until 1952. 

My dad figured VEPCO would eventually run power up here so he had the house wired. VEPCO stopped about a mile east in 1947 and never ran poles any further. 

The City of Danville had/has its own municipal electric system. It finally ran poles into western Halifax County in 1952, gaining hundreds of customers that VEPCO had chosen to ignore.

Only problem is, some of that electrical infrastructure is still the original 1952 installation, never upgraded for the load added to it over the years. And it shows.🙄

Homes in NC right across the state line from me didn't get electricity till 1955, and it took electrical cooperatives to get it then. The two major NC power companies, like VEPCO, only ran poles along the major roads. People on side roads did without till the co-ops formed.

There was one family who stuck to the old ways until 1970, when the stubborn old grandfather passed on. Even then the three room cabin was wired only for one overhead light and one receptacle in each room, and for an electric stove which the women in the house had long wished for to replace the labor-intensive and hot wood-fired kitchen stove. I'm not sure they ever installed a well pump or water heater. The cabin was torn down after all the original family had died and a young couple bought the property and built new. I guarantee Ben and Tara have more than one outlet per room!

Some in the Virginia and North Carolina mountains didn't get it until the 1970s. 

The things we take for granted.

Wow!   And some folks called Missouri backwards.😁

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my house in 1978 in a small city in lower Delaware. It was a Victorian built in 1898. It only had a 30 amp 120 volt service. That was used for lights and the burner on a converted coal boiler. Everything else was gas. I was the second owner. The ladies that lived there didn't have need for anything else.