GPS Tracking for a Open Car trailer

I just purchased a used 20' Open car trailer . I am getting it ready for my journey to the Grand National In Charlotte this year.  We have all heard the horror stories of a trailer and car being taken and I just heard one about a piece of construction equipment left on-a trailer in a parking lot for snow removal that got stolen last night. So I want to plan ahead and invest in one for my car and one for the trailer . Not that I am expecting to be stolen ,but just like we carry a Fire extinguisher and first aid kit I want to be prepared  

That being said 

I would like on line tracking that I can set up alerts if its moving and just log in to see its were I left it 

battery powered so it can be hidden

Affordable to purchase and monitor 

Does any one have and suggestion on a product your using 

A well known collector had his 18 wheeler stolen a few years ago on his way to Pebble with his show cars in it…..3 or 4 if I remember correctly. He got lucky and had apple air tags in his luggage in the back of the trailer. Cops weren’t interested in helping recover the truck and trailer. They bought a drone, flew it over the lot/warehouse where it was left to “cool off”. They were able to see the tractor sticking out from under a covered loading dock. They got smart, called 911 and reported it and when the police responded, the opened the gate and recovered everything intact. Trailers are really never safe anymore. I use locks on the hitch, and heavy cables through the mag wheels. Hoping they look for easier pickings. Never, ever put photos or logos on your trailer…….it lets them know what they may be getting.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I wont elaborate but too have been thinking about security issues for a trailer and its contents. I was thinking along the lines of Apple air tags or whatever they are called. I really know nothing about that kind of stuff, perhaps I should talk to my grandson, LOL. I was under the impression that they are small chips that can be hidden someplace with a tracker to ones phone? If so a couple of them placed on the objects and one on a trailer?  

I guess I am naive in thinking that crooks would be fooled with such a thing, who knew they had a device to 'smell them out'? As much as I hate to think of the worse case, I figure good insurance is the best defense. I have a small enclosed trailer and am 3/4 paranoid when traveling with it. I always park with it backed up to a light pole or wall or some other perceived immovable object. A boot or cable on the wheel sounds good as well. Planning on a trip to S Fla later this winter and have already started to think about security. 

We went to Daytona one year, had the bikes in the trailer hooked up to the rv. Almost there and between the 3 of us, none remembered to bring the keys to the trailer locks🥴 First stop was at home depot to buy a bolt cutter. In the parking lot, middle of the day 3 guys cutting the locks on a trailer. Not one person even noticed!!

• Like 2

If you are concerned about 

vandalism or theft - don’t 

leave a vehicle unattended.

Car clubs/groups/friends 

traveling together park 

their vehicles in groups

and take turns guarding 

them so someone is always

keeping an eye on things.

If you are traveling alone

then stay with your vehicle

as much as possible.

If you have to stay at a motel

find an independent one off

the major roadways and check

in at least an hour before sunset.

Get a room with a view of

your truck & trailer and park

in a manner that the vehicle

you are trailering cannot be 

unloaded and your trailer cannot

be separated from

your tow vehicle.

Disable your tow vehicle so

it cannot be started.

Stop Theft Before It Happens.

Jim

IMG_7847.jpeg.722cfd1a2b60d59872e5d4b968b97137.jpeg

• Like 4

My sister put an air tag in the glovebox of my 90 year-old father's truck after he went AWOL one time and she was nervous.  It was cheap and really worked well. She could look at her phone and see where his truck was.  It definitely gave her piece of mind when he was out and about.  It is small (about the size of a quarter) and easy to hide.  It doesn't use GPS itself, but relies on 'pinging' other networked devices that do have GPS capability (typically I-phones).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EmTee said:

My sister put an air tag in the glovebox of my 90 year-old father's truck after he went AWOL one time and she was nervous.  It was cheap and really worked well. She could look at her phone and see where his truck was.  It definitely gave her piece of mind when he was out and about.  It is small (about the size of a quarter) and easy to hide.  It doesn't use GPS itself, but relies on 'pinging' other networked devices that do have GPS capability (typically I-phones).

I have a bunch of air tags , But they alert other I phone users there is a local tag and its being tracked and a person once alerted can disable it . Good for a bunch of things but not good for tracking a stolen item as a savy person can disable it . Thank you for the input 

• Like 1

I think the trackers today will help prevent 90 percent of the stolen trailers. Most crimes are of opportunity. I think sticking a tracking logo sticker on the trailer would deter most people. I know some trackers that only work when the vehicle is in motion.........so that would prevent a scanner from picking it up. In reality, if someone really wants your stuff, you will be looking at the wrong end of a barrel.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 1967 Red Deville said:

Good for a bunch of things but not good for tracking a stolen item as a savy person can disable it .

They can disable the alert on their phone, but I am pretty sure the tag's owner can still track it.  Unless it's well hidden the thief could find the tag and remove it, however...

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Put an AirTag in magnetic waterproof box and that will cover you for 95% for the scenarios.    Every time someone with an iPhone comes within 10 feet of the trailer it will mark its location.   

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

They can disable the alert on their phone, but I am pretty sure the tag's owner can still track it.  Unless it's well hidden the thief could find the tag and remove it, however...

Here’s a video about what happens if the thief gets an alert. If you put the tag in something sound-proof, or a locked box, its unlikely they could deactivate it as they need to take the battery out. I put one in the transported car and one in the trailer to make life more difficult.

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, CarNucopia said:

Here’s a video about what happens if the thief gets an alert. If you put the tag in something sound-proof, or a locked box, its unlikely they could deactivate it as they need to take the battery out. I put one in the transported car and one in the trailer to make life more difficult.

If it’s located towards the back of the trailer. The Bluetooth will not connect all the way up in the cab. Maybe. In which case it will be quite a while before they get the alert. Maybe never.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, alsancle said:

If it’s located towards the back of the trailer. The Bluetooth will not connect all the way up in the cab. Maybe. In which case it will be quite a while before they get the alert. Maybe never.

I saw this idea, which I liked. You can also remove the AirTag speaker so they can’t easily find it.

IMG_5123.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarNucopia said:

I saw this idea, which I liked. You can also remove the AirTag speaker so they can’t easily find it.

IMG_5123.jpeg

Also, once they figure out they’re being tracked. I would expect them to disconnect the trailer and leave it. I don’t think they’re gonna want to spend a lot of time screwing around with it.

• Like 2

About 13 months ago my wells Cargo enclosed 20 foot trailer was stolen. It has not been recovered.  I got complacent after it sat unmolested in the same spot for 10 years. I wish I thought to put some type of air tag on it, and I do agree with those who are suggesting ways to disable your trailer when it’s just sitting.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

About 13 months ago my wells Cargo enclosed 20 foot trailer was stolen. It has not been recovered.  I got complacent after it sat unmolested in the same spot for 10 years. I wish I thought to put some type of air tag on it, and I do agree with those who are suggesting ways to disable your trailer when it’s just sitting.

Until this thread I had never thought much about protecting my trailers from theft. While my oldest enclosed car hauler, a closed and an open utility trailer are in the backyard of our old place where my son now lives, the newer trailers are in a fenced and padlocked storage lot. The owner used to live right next door in his body shop, but has sold the body shop business and lives away. The basic tongue padlocks could be defeated with some effort, and a bit harder on trailer doors/ramps. I've considered heavy chains looped through the wheels when overnighting along the way or at venues, but hadn't done this yet. I understand that would only be a deterrent, not a preventative.

My late Dad used to say "Locks are for honest people - To help keep them honest. Somebody who wants to steal is going to."

• Like 4

My neighbor is a San Francisco firefighter. We were discussing the type of front doors and locks and gates that were the most secure. He sobered me up by saying that firefighters know every trick in the book at breaking into houses. 

• Like 2

Thank you all for the input, In the past I have used Cables thru the Tire spokes around the spring pirches. tongue lock, if trailer stayed connected to the truck I would wind my jack down to put tension of the jack and then remove the jack handle , I will continue to do what I can to make them have to work to steal it , but I am going to put in some sort of tracking on the trailer and on the car. And YES I allready have an air tag hidden in my car , but I plan on getting a real time tracker with alerts and a long battery life.  THere are so many of them on amazon from 35 dollars to 300 dollars . and a monthly fee . I am going to take a chance and just purchase one and see how it goes. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CarNucopia said:

Well this is not what I understood . I thought they could deactivate it from there phone , I did not realize they had to physically handle it . the one in my car would be impossible for a stranger to put they're hands on with out disassembling the car 

• Like 2

Four years back I worked with a group that was working on tags for the trucking industry.

The tags would give location, temp. and another ping for light in the trailer.

These would be on each pallet. The last I knew they were testing it out in southern Cal.

Locks and cables are only a 10 second inconvenience to a thief with a battery powered grinder and cut off wheel.

image.png.e0ca3e0fc61fc071c590024b29e82a39.png

And as Marty Roth said,  

My late Dad used to say "Locks are for honest people - To help keep them honest. Somebody who wants to steal is going to."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Locks and cables are only a 10 second inconvenience to a thief with a battery powered grinder and cut off wheel.

image.png.e0ca3e0fc61fc071c590024b29e82a39.png

And as Marty Roth said,  

Agreed, the best deterrent would be a loud alarm and tracking.

• Like 1

Tracking is not a deterrent.

Tracking comes in to play 

after theft.

Most trailers are usually

stored where no one would 

notice or respond to an alarm.

Disable - block - immobilize

your trailer so it is not a target.

That - is the best theft deterrent.

Jim

• Like 2

On 1/4/2024 at 12:34 AM, Shootey said:

My neighbor is a San Francisco firefighter. We were discussing the type of front doors and locks and gates that were the most secure. He sobered me up by saying that firefighters know every trick in the book at breaking into houses. 

And contractors. I can just about guarantee I could be in any building in a matter of minutes!

There was a guy that had a tongue lock on a stored trailer. The thief wrapped the safety chain around his bumper only and pulled it away. Fortunately he was stopped by the police before he got too far. 

• Like 1

Anyone using Apple Airtags for this purpose should research how they operate (how the network fuctions), what they can and cannot do and how notifications and tracking can be disabled. 

I'm not saying that they are worthless, I'm just saying make sure you understand what they do and don't do so you're not surprised or disappointed with the product if you're going to rely on it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2